How to Present Footbag to a Group

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 10 Jan 2011 10:04

I'm not the most skilled footbag player out there; And I'm in no way the most knowledgeable about the sport. But in the past 2 or 3 months, I've introduced around 6 or 7 new players and all of them went out and bought Lavers and a bag I stitched them one. The best techniques I've found are:

:arrow: Public Circle Formation Method Just freestyling in a circle of friends in public. Going to make a sign that welcomes anyone to try, especially hacky sackers or people who have hacked before. We've gotten about 2 by the "Public Circle" method.

:arrow: Show & Tell Method I've found that if people like how it looks, they'll just generally show an interest and want to start. Two new guys that play now were interested when I showed them, but I didn't think they would get into it as severely as they did. One is hitting Smears and the other is hitting Ripwalks. Both with less than 2 months of experience. So pretty much, if it looks cool to them, they'll get into it. Don't "Tell" too much at first. Like Crazylegs said, people don't wanna be bothered with a ton of facts at first. They just want to see tricks. It's also good if you tell them that you can help them get to the level you're on. They enjoy the comfort of having a footbag teacher.

:arrow: Find A Circle Method This one's a little harder, but this worked with one kid. You find a hack circle and jump in and demonstrate freestyle with a few basic tricks. Like I said, much harder since it's difficult to find hack circles nowadays.

:arrow: Communication and Connection Method This got about 3 or 4 playing with this method. I met one guy through Public Circle Formation Method, and he knew a handful of skilled hackysackers who had no idea what freestyle was. We all got together, and I showed them some stuff, easy stuff, then much harder, cooler-looking tricks. Stylee tricks like Pixie muted clipper, swirl/twist, whirling swirl, ripstien, double spinning clipper, etc.. seem to work the best.

Again, you should always tell them that they CAN get to where you are. It "just takes time and dedication, but it can be one of the most rewarding sports you can play". I hope my 2 cents here helps some people show footbag to the masses and possibly get us some new players.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Nikolas_012
Circle Kicker

Re: How to Present Footbag to a Group

Post by Nikolas_012 » 09 Dec 2013 01:59

One of my friend is doing his MBA from Thunderbird laureate schools and he often tells me great stories. So my recommendation would definitely any good schools which are at par with these good international schools.
Last edited by Nikolas_012 on 09 Dec 2013 23:28, edited 1 time in total.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 09 Dec 2013 10:41

My recommendation would be for you to go squeeze a chode.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

yyz
Multidex Master

Post by yyz » 10 May 2015 17:45

I usually just set the net up and show the basics kicks then a few spikes. Like Matt said don't go to crazy with all the technical stuff. Its also so easy to switch to freestyle from net with very little effort. Crowds always like a a good competition . GSM scoring is best for quick games and will work good here. Finally when possible let the crowd try
see ya ted f

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 10 May 2015 18:12

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic wrote:My recommendation would be for you to go squeeze a chode.
lllllllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllllllll oh im cryin lol