10 aspects of a well presented footbag freestyle routine

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 27 Jun 2006 05:54

For a while ago I really wanted to know some more about routines.. So I contacted lots of people I knew would give me great answers about this subject. Max B was one them and he told me to talk with Jan Zimmerman.
I wrote a nice long PM to Jan Zimmerman and send me this and now I want to share it with you:

by Jan Zimmerman
  • o tenue
    o demeanor
    o introduction
    o music
    o diversity, entertainment
    o theme
    o fun
    o choreography
    o finish
    o Entrance/Exit
tenue:

Players should be conscious that they are presenting themselves to an audience and dress accordingly. Clean, tidy and trim appearance are a minimum requirement. Better even, if the audience becomes aware that the player has put some effort into his/her appearance.

Completely sweaty with wild hair, shirt half in and half out of the pant, different colored socks and shorts from the discounter should only be chosen if it is part of a routines concept.

The upper body should be covered during the whole part of the routine UNLESS your name is Eric Wulff, Ales Zelinka or Justin Sexton. If it is part of the show, taking of your shirt during your routine it is OK.

(negative examples: all routines from worlds 2004 finals

Positive examples: alex zerbe worlds 2002 final)

demeanor :

The players demeanor should be confident (but not conceited), friendly to euphoric and pleasant. The audience should be made aware, that the player is happy to be on stage and have the chance and entertain them for 2minutes. The players should signal the audience that they will witness something extraordinary and that theyr time will not be wasted.

This can be achieved by simple means like a smile, a wave, bowing to the audience, etc.

(positive examples: ole schnack, jan struz

Negative examples: paul cronjäger, footjam04, jan weber, footjam04)

introduction

the opening part of the routine should immediately carry the audience and the jury along and make them interested in the routine. It should become obvious that not simply any old song is played in the background but that it has been especially prepared/chosen for this routine. Apart from the music the players can also place special tricks or combos at the beginning of the routine or introduce some playacting to start their routine.

(positive examples: vasek kloude, euros 01, isabelle widmer, footjam04

Negative examples: jan weber, footjam04)

music

The choice of music is central to a routine! The music should help the audience relate to the presentation and the player. Only in this way can an audience be enthused by a routine. Music also plays a central role in choreography (see point 8). Important is that the player is comfortable with his/her routine song. Music and technical skill should merge in a routine, complement and upgrade eachother.

Music can also help bring variety into a routine, change of tempo, pauses for applause, intro and conclusion, etc.

(Positive examples: jan weber, footjam03, sam hufschmid, footjam04

Negative examples: jan weber, footjam04, renato zuelli, swiss champs 04)

diversity, entertainment

The worst thing that can happen is if an audience has seen enough of a routine after the first minute and looses interest. A routine should be built in a way that the audience is entertained for the whole two minutes.

This is why one of the biggest mistakes is to “freestyle” a routine. Players often fall into a certain style of play, certain style of tricks and combos they feel most comfortable with and after a minute the audience has basically seen it all.

At least the player should have a rough structure in their routine. Tempo changes, style changes, calm passages and pauses. Even if the player still freestyles within this frame it will greatly improve the performance.

(Positive examples: vasek klouda, footjam03, jan struz, footjam04

Negative examples: karim daouk, footjam04, jakob wagner, footjam04

Theme

It is perfect if a routine follows a theme that is recognmizable by the audience. All aspects of a freestyle routine can flow into this. For example a routine could tell a story, have a “red thread” flowing through the whole routine. Reoccurring elements that split the routine in definite parts, playacting, etc.

Bringing a theme into a routine is one of the hardest aspects along with choreography and requires players to prepare their routine extensively. Also one must beware to not let a theme run away with the routine. Footbag freestyle is a sport after all and not an artistic presentation. It is only a thin line to cross in this aspect.

(Positive examples: lon smith, worlds 2001, niki bagic, swiss champs 03

Negative example: alex zerbe, worlds 2002)

fun

It must be obvious to an audinece that a player enjoys being on stage and to be able to present his/her routine. During every second of a performance!!! No matter what happens. If a player mediates the feeling that he/she would rather not be on stage (in the open category) has already lost the audience and is wasting everybody’s time. Energy will only flow back from the audience if it is receiving energy from the player. An audience is also willing to support and cheer somebody who is having a bad day if it gets the feeling that the player is fully committed.

In terms of scoring it is of course decisive from the players viewpoint, that a jury notices as few of the mistakes as possible. A drop that is “concealed” with a smile will not stick in a jury’s mind as well a drop that is emphasized with a frown or with the shake of the head by the player. If a jury gets the feeling that the player him/herself was not satisfied with the performance it will tend to score accordingly no matter how the routine might compare to the others in the pool.

(positive examples: isabelle widmer, worlds2003, jan struz

Negative examples: nearly everyone)

choreography

Performing a trick or a combo is one thing. Performing the same trick or combo perfectly timed to the music at the exact moment it is meant to be performed in a routine is something else altogether. This is why a “true” choreography in a sense that it is used in other performing sports the highest possible achievement. A complete control and 100% confidence in ones abilities is necessary.

This is why in most cases it is advisable only to choreograph small parts of a routine and leave room for improvisation.

An audience should get the feeling however, that the tricks and combos presented are not random but actually meant to be played in the specific interval. Changes in tempo in the music should be mirrored by changes of tempo in the game or style of play. Pauses or breaks in the music should be choreographed accordingly.

Positive examples: yaccine merzouk, worlds 04, ales zelinke, finish open04, tina aeberli, worlds05)

finish

A routine should have a noticeable ending that signals to the audience that they may „cheer now“. It should be avoided at all costs to end a routine with a drop because this will be the last impression an audience and the jury will have of the routine. In this sense it is not advisable to try to end the routine with a “bang” in the sense of trying the hardest possible trick or combo. A nice “big looking” trick or combo that the player is 100% confident he can perform is better in most cases. The bag should be caught with the utmost confidence or in some other way brought into a “finishing position” to illustrate again, that the player had total control of the bag during the whole routine.

Positive examples: vasek klouda, Justin sexton, euros 99

Negative examples: almost everyone

entrance and exit

Entrance and exit are the first and last impression an audience and the jury gets forom a player and are therefore vitally important. A performance or routine BEGINS as soon as a player enters the stage and ENDS only when he has left the stage.

Even if a player feels he has made the worst performance ever he/she OWES the audience an exit in style. The audience has invested time and maybe even money to watch the performance and it is not their fault that the performance was weak.

Bowing to the audience, waving or applauding the audience, any kind of gesture that tells the audience you are grateful that it has come is a minimum.

As soon as the routine satisfactory to some extent it is a good thing to invest in a smile.

If there is a reason to be happy then a player should show that he/she is happy. This shows an audience and the jury that the player was satisfied with his/her performance and will influence both the lasting impression and the scoring.

Positive examples: vasek klouda, euros01

Negative examples: vasek klouda worlds 02, 03

All thanks goes to Jan Zimmerman and the others which helped me. (I.E. Maxime, David C..)

max
Australofrenchbrityorkus

Post by max » 27 Jun 2006 06:57

Yeah Jan knows his stuff..
Maxime Boucoiran
French ConneXion
BFC

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 27 Jun 2006 09:51

Informative even to a veteran. Great advice, I highly recommend that competitors AND judges read this, digest it, and read it again before competition.

atze
Multidex Master

Post by atze » 28 Jun 2006 01:06

i just wanted to add that i wrote this up for a choreography workshop we held in zürich in 2004 and the examples i name were shown on video to illustrate the points. i did not name the specific examples to offend anybody.

you can actually still find quite a few of those routines i'm quoting online at http://www.footbag.ch/multimedia.php?show=videos.
maybe some others are available at footbag.cz, footbag.org or on footbag.fi

last thing i'd like to mention is that anybody who wants to know what a good routine looks like should use every chance to study Stefan Siegerts routines!!! he currently !!consistently!! plays the best routines of any player i know.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 28 Jun 2006 01:20

You can probably also find many of them here:

http://www.zavezniki.com/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=48

Scroll down to the bottom then you can select a year.

King Monkey
Post Master General

Post by King Monkey » 28 Jun 2006 06:04

Yeh Stefan is a genius, his style suits routines so well and his music selection is impeccable.

This is really good stuff, thanks Jan! (And Asmus for bringing it to our attention)
Ian Pritchard - http://www.ausfootbag.org

'People, just play Footbag and stop being dickheads!' - Michał Biarda

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 28 Jun 2006 10:43

Wow, Jan - very nice write up. Honestly, I think that could be turned into a very nice publication on footbag. That would be a great start for a footbag magazine or online publication. Anyone else agree?
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

BalinorNZ
Post Master General

Post by BalinorNZ » 29 Jun 2006 08:01

Wow, that thing is awesome :O will defintly help me with routines and public performaces!

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 02 Aug 2006 03:32

BUMPING THIS UP AGAIN..
I think its worthy a sticky.

Webslinger
BSOS Beast

Post by Webslinger » 03 Aug 2006 06:23

Sounds like my routine from footjam 04 was the worst ever and I still got second, wow! The judges probably did HUGE mistake!

I don't agree with couple things:

1. It shouldn't matter at all if people were sweaty with wild hair because usually the warm up place is really small in some club, so everyone gets sweaty. It was like this in Motreal 04 (well, there was no warm up place at all :( ) and this year Worlds as well (there was some place, but it was really hot in there)

2. good example of choreography- Ales FFO 04??
It was not prepared at all! He was improvising the whole routine... It was OK to the music, but still it wasn't choreographed.

3. Why should the players smile??? It is sport competition, not show.... If the players wants to show serious routine without smile, you give him lower marks???!! It is Ok when players smile and there is fun in the routine like Jorden did in the finals of Worlds 06, but if not than there shouldn't be any kind of punishment for that...

Stefan is for sure one of the best routine players, but I would not say he is the best one and the most consistent one....

atze
Multidex Master

Post by atze » 16 Aug 2006 07:40

Sounds like my routine from footjam 04 was the worst ever and I still got second, wow! The judges probably did HUGE mistake!
yes, and i sent them to bed without dinner for it :)

but seriously, sorry for seeming to bash on that one routine of yours. it doesn't mean that that generally your routines are bad (the footjam03 for instance was excellent). and bad is of course very relative. because of course at footjam04 your routine overall was better than everybody elses except for vasek. so your routine didn't suck. it was simply (in my opinion) missing some of the general aspects in terms of presentation.

to
1. i agree. but it shouldn't be that way. of course organizers should provide all the necessary infrastructure that players are ABLE to make their best performance. if the stage, lighting, warm up areas, food, drinks, etc. sucks then of course we can't expect the players to perform good.

2. i don't care if its choreographed or not, as long as it looks that way.

3. it's not so much about smiling as it is about NOT making a face like you don't want to be on stage. because the audience definately didn't force you to go on stage.

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 03 Apr 2007 15:22

BUMP

Maraxus
Egyptian Footgod

Re: 10 aspects of a well presented footbag freestyle routine

Post by Maraxus » 03 Apr 2007 21:30

Asmus wrote:
The upper body should be covered during the whole part of the routine UNLESS your name is Eric Wulff, Ales Zelinka or Justin Sexton.
What if your name is Aaron Orton :(

bodybuilda

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 04 Apr 2007 07:31

to respond to honzo's post from a LONG time ago,

when you're one of the top 5 technical players in the whole world, you can almost certainly send the pleasantries out the window and just blow everyone away with your awesome skills, and I think that's great. Nothing speaks better for a routine than all-out, ridiculous shred performed with great technical accuracy.

I could see these elements of a good routine being a lot more helpful to those of us who are depending on positive presentation elements to give our routine merit because we are not world champion material.

I think this is a great post by Jan, and I would love to see it stickied.

ps: how is lavice's game these days? still holding up butts and standing still? ;)
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Re: 10 aspects of a well presented footbag freestyle routine

Post by Slowsis » 04 Apr 2007 11:27

Maraxus wrote:
Asmus wrote:
The upper body should be covered during the whole part of the routine UNLESS your name is Eric Wulff, Ales Zelinka or Justin Sexton.
What if your name is Aaron Orton :(

Looks like a M4M personal ad. (minus the cock-shot) :lol:
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog

Blue_turnip
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Blue_turnip » 05 Apr 2007 07:26

Ty this information rocks
Oliver Adams

atze
Multidex Master

Post by atze » 30 Apr 2007 03:16

BUMP (worlds is coming up)

Zac Miley
Post Master General

Post by Zac Miley » 29 Jul 2007 23:25

Bumpster.
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 27 May 2011 04:44

BUMP! It's routine practice time of the year again.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 27 May 2011 06:14

Great bump. A lot of this advice is what helped me get better at routines over the last few years.