Are YOU Willing?

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.

Are YOU Willing

Yes
100%

Total votes: 7

BenRea
modiphile

Are YOU Willing?

Post by BenRea » 22 Jul 2007 20:49

A pro footbagger walked up to a circle of shredders on the street. He set the bag with amazing power and hit link after amazing link. Nemesis>Ducking spinning FS Genesis>FS clownface>Delusional Scorpion's Tail Swirl>Big apple sauce. One of the young shredders from the circle came up to the man and said "i'd be willing to do anything to be able to shred like you..."

The pro footbagger replied...

"Are you willing to nearly break your ankles time after time but still continue shredding? Are you willing to play untill your feet bleed? Are you willing to face the fact that you will never be good enough for yourself? Are you willing to push your body so hard each and every hour of your life that your mind will be begging you to stop, yet you continue on?

If you are then that is what you will have to do to shred like i do, because that is what it is going to take."
Last edited by BenRea on 23 Jul 2007 13:35, edited 2 times in total.

Grade Zero
Multidex Master

Post by Grade Zero » 22 Jul 2007 21:29

Of course. That's what makes footbag into a lifestyle
Maverick Penaranda

Proposed Job's Notation for Reincarnation: Life [BOD] > Death [XBD] > Rebirth [PDX].

Dat
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Dat » 22 Jul 2007 21:37

Abusing your body is not the way to get far in footbag. If it hurts then you're doing it wrong. Footbag is supposed to work with your body, not against it.
Dat Phan
-

CL: openFrameworks

Jorden
Retro Athlete

Post by Jorden » 22 Jul 2007 21:54

Ooh FS clownface. Gotta try that. :wink:
Jorden Moir

CIC flurry
Amazingly Sexy Man-Beast

Post by CIC flurry » 22 Jul 2007 22:56

That's a dope story. I like the line that you'll never be good enough for yourself.

The Rhino
Fearless

Post by The Rhino » 23 Jul 2007 03:18

Dat wrote:If it hurts then you're doing it wrong.
Not exactly, Lets take another perspective. long hours of training makes me sore. vasek trains 8 hours. I'm nowhere near that dedicated and I hurt. I wouldn't say he is doing it wrong. I'm sure I understand your point, for example, pulling your knee out instead of back is wrong, and you will hurt. etc... I hope any new shredder understands that if they train long and correctly, they will hurt correctly, if you train wrong, you will hurt wrong.

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 23 Jul 2007 03:57

unless you have PERFECT form, and joints that were made to sustain twisting impact, footbag does always hurt your body at least to some extent. it is definitely a sacrifice.

i think if i could hit that string i'd be good enough for myself.
Pete Bowler
B$C
keeps it offah da ground.

617 FOR LIFE

HG
^^^^^pwn3d

Post by HG » 23 Jul 2007 04:44

my favorite part is that the run the guy hit wouldn't even work, you can't ducking spinning super nemesis swirl from toe!
JSACK wrote:alright well me and obara'bars, shredded our dicks off, since we are both in high school, obviously there is some sort of talent show

BenRea
modiphile

Post by BenRea » 23 Jul 2007 06:41

HG wrote:my favorite part is that the run the guy hit wouldn't even work, you can't ducking spinning super nemesis swirl from toe!
:lol: i was afraid that might happen, what should be there instead?

yea footbag always hurts in some way no matter what your doing. i remember when i first started doing clippers my leg muscles werent used to turning that way so they were sore for many days but i kept practicing and eventually they didnt hurt anymore.
Ben Rea

ericksonj
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by ericksonj » 23 Jul 2007 08:48

Thats one way to look at it... I prefer to just play for fun, if I learn new moves then sweet, if not then who cares it's still fun. If my knees hurt from whirling moves I stop throwing them, no need to kill your body over footbag. You'll have that body the rest of your adult life. I'd rather not have to explain to my future kids that I can't do active things with them because I destroyed my body playing foozbag. While you can call footbag a sport, and it is, we have to remember that sports are just games to have fun with. If you are too hard on yourself or too critical to the point you are never happy with it, then why even play?
Always Shreddin
James Erickson
Eugene Footbag Association (Orton, Nasty, Me)
w/ new additions (Casey, Alex, Eddie, and Shawnell)

Pyroman924
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Pyroman924 » 23 Jul 2007 08:51

BenRea wrote:
HG wrote:my favorite part is that the run the guy hit wouldn't even work, you can't ducking spinning super nemesis swirl from toe!
:lol: i was afraid that might happen, what should be there instead?
Delusional Scorpion's Tail Swirl??

Or perhaps Wontomic Torquescrew??
Alan Underhill

http://www.myspace.com/pyroman924

"The more you drop, the better you get." -Ben Rinowski

jrstubs
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by jrstubs » 23 Jul 2007 09:23

Ben, you make footbag sound like its not fun.

BenRea
modiphile

Post by BenRea » 23 Jul 2007 09:48

if you want to be the best in the world im sure at times it might not be fun. then again if your natural at the sport im sure you'll be fine. dont worry about being numero uno though. just play footbag and have fun. i just wrote that to be motivational because shredders are always looking for it.
Ben Rea

smokefree
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by smokefree » 23 Jul 2007 12:26

If I ever break a bone the footbag community probably wont hear from me again. Im willing to risk breaking bones trying tricks i cant hit but if theres a serious immediate risk to my health id quit. I wouldnt be all hardcore like that... tu vu?? whoever the guy who has 2 fucked off ankles. Im cool off that.
Anthony

MONKEY CLAW!

ObArA'BaRs
Flower Child

Post by ObArA'BaRs » 23 Jul 2007 12:38

FUCK YA IM WILLING!!
I would also cut a finger or two off also.
Im 20
JSACK wrote: wrote:alright well me and obara'bars, shredded our dicks off, since we are both in high school, obviously there is some sort of talent show

Keep footbag'n till yo skins saggin.......

brian relly
fan-tas-tic

Post by brian relly » 23 Jul 2007 17:06

HXCFOOTBAG wrote:
Dat wrote:If it hurts then you're doing it wrong.
Not exactly, Lets take another perspective. long hours of training makes me sore. vasek trains 8 hours. I'm nowhere near that dedicated and I hurt. I wouldn't say he is doing it wrong. I'm sure I understand your point, for example, pulling your knee out instead of back is wrong, and you will hurt. etc... I hope any new shredder understands that if they train long and correctly, they will hurt correctly, if you train wrong, you will hurt wrong.
vasek doesn't train 8 hours a day and he never did; i have no idea where this rumor came from. he probably practiced hack for 8 hours one day when he first started and it turned into some kind of legend. vasek trains an hour a day tops (IF every day; he hasn't trained much at all the last couple years); he's just really fucking talented with a bag.

re: topic - if you're playing for anything other than fun you're never gonna get very far.
esteban barnez
myspace.com/rawcakes
david wrote:I was just sitting here surfing and my mom looks over my shoulder. I had to jab down the down key real quick so she wouldn't see that topic title and question me about what kind of site I was going on.

The Rhino
Fearless

Post by The Rhino » 23 Jul 2007 18:32

vasek doesn't train 8 hours a day and he never did; i have no idea where this rumor came from. he probably practiced hack for 8 hours one day when he first started and it turned into some kind of legend. vasek trains an hour a day tops (IF every day; he hasn't trained much at all the last couple years); he's just really fucking talented with a bag.
Pro 17:28 Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.

ever notice ignorace speaks so loudly?

see it and hear it for yourself how many hours a day he practices, right from the lips of vasek klouda.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=d0mc4fEf1pI

Grade Zero
Multidex Master

Post by Grade Zero » 23 Jul 2007 19:17

Maybe this story should be taken as a metaphor(...or something...i'm not really good at those literary devices) or maybe the pro's just testing the guy if he has what it takes to learn this difficult sport

I mean, what pro would say something that might scare away a potential footbagger? He could've just told him "Lots of time, patience, and correct practice"
Maverick Penaranda

Proposed Job's Notation for Reincarnation: Life [BOD] > Death [XBD] > Rebirth [PDX].

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 24 Jul 2007 06:41

A few years ago there was an interview of Vasek posted on the footbag.cz website where he said that he'd wake up in the morning, play footbag before school, at lunch time at school, and then when school finished he'd play with his club (I guess the Dictators) and then go home and play until 10 pm, when he'd go to bed. As I recall the total time he said he played for each day added up to around 6 to 8 hours. But apparently he dropped his training right off after worlds 2003.

BenRea
modiphile

Post by BenRea » 24 Jul 2007 06:44

Jeremy wrote: But apparently he dropped his training right off after worlds 2003.

just lost interest? apparently he's still interested enough in it to go to comps and kick peoples arses. im sure once he starts getting beaten a lot more, he'll quit.
Ben Rea