Old players unite!

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 28 Feb 2008 06:45

When I come to Modified I feel really old. Does that count?

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 28 Feb 2008 07:51

Do you feel old, or are you overwhelmed at the rampant immaturity?

I'm immature too
Zeke

Funny movie titles if the movie were about poop:
Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 28 Feb 2008 18:59

I'm not saying I'm mature. But relative to Modified, I feel like the older brother who is visiting from college and gets stuck with his 13 year old brother and his friends.

I could just stop reading modified, though. Easier said than done.

I might not be old, but I'm old enough to be bitter, apparently. :roll:

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Post by Tsiangkun » 28 Feb 2008 20:01

Damn kids, Get off my lawn !

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 28 Feb 2008 20:28

Back in my day, we didn't have all these modern conveniences... like sunlight. We kicked each other in the dark and we loved it!

Yeah, didn't mean to put you on the spot. It could be worse, it could be youtube :roll:

Random Edit:
One of the things I regret about my youth is never learning to take care of my body properly. I've got so many bad habits that have cought up to me :roll:
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

CIC flurry
Amazingly Sexy Man-Beast

Post by CIC flurry » 29 Feb 2008 12:27

Take care of your body properly? I've heard of such myths as... I think it's called warming up or stretchy.
Actually I'm curious as to what you mean.

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 29 Feb 2008 12:35

Eating healthy. Exercise routinely.
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

messyouupIwill
Hack Fiend

Grumpy Old Men???

Post by messyouupIwill » 01 Mar 2008 03:02

You say old, I say aged to perfection...lol... Well I am 39 going on 40 this May, and I still play Footbag from time to time....not 5-8 hours a day like I did when I was younger, but who has that kind of time, especially when one is a Father and Husband... I am even playing better Footbag in my old age, lol...well I am hitting harder stuff, so it is all good. I wish I was younger, but I would not trade in the times I have had, and hope to have. Old is a state of mind, not body IMHO...

Oh yeah, I hit a tripple last night with no shoes on....so go figure...

Gonna have to take a nap now, for I gotta get up early...it is almost 3am right now, hehehe.

Later, Michael
Michael B. Adcock
Cardiff, CA 92007

Benzilla
The Professional

Post by Benzilla » 02 Mar 2008 09:00

Zeke wrote:Back in my day, we didn't have all these modern conveniences... like sunlight. We kicked each other in the dark and we loved it!
:lol: ^ funniest "back in my day.." sentence i've ever heard..

BuckRuckus
Egyptian Footgod

Post by BuckRuckus » 10 Mar 2008 10:27

I'll be 31 in April. Still play twice a week in the winter and 5 times a week in the summer. If you find kicking a beanbag gets boring after 13 years, you're just doing it wrong.

underooninja
BSOS Beast

Post by underooninja » 11 Mar 2008 12:56

Zeke wrote:One of the things I regret about my youth is never learning to take care of my body properly. I've got so many bad habits that have cought up to me.
i second that
lonnie hobbs
o0((skyliners))0o
*it IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you*

Rieferman
Flower Child

Post by Rieferman » 12 Mar 2008 04:37

You're an old freestyler when you're twice the player when playing on two days of rest instead of just one day of rest.

(side note: Today is my second day of rest for the first time in a long time, and I can't wait to be twice the player tomorrow)
Bob R.

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 12 Mar 2008 11:59

When someone used 'bed', 'food' and 'egg' in the same sentence not too long ago, they were probably talking about their morning, not tricks in a run.
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

mrjauss
Shredaholic

Post by mrjauss » 17 Mar 2008 02:34

Alright I couldn't resist. I am 35 and my b-day is at the end of April. So heres the story. I remember back in the day getting my first Hacky Sack (cowhide never broken in lump of raw hide) which as most people didn't realize that it is called a Footbag. That includes me. I actually became a lifetime member of the World Footbag Association when I got that Footbag in 1985. Yes, Kids 1985. 8O Time flies!!! I think my member number in 18xx something like that. I still have the card in my collectables. I am sure I started kicking before that but since I am getting older I can't remember that far back. :?

As you can tell from my blog I still kick 2 to 5 hours a week. Ok just not the last few weeks. I would kick more but work gets in the way, 3 or 4 12 hour days kicks my ass. I got TT1 when it first came out on Beta. I mean VHS. I also got Raw Shred right when it came out too. I still have many issues of World Footbag Association magazine and a few of Kickers Quarterly. Yeah I am cool I know. :roll:

I kicked hacky till about 1997 when I really started to freestyle. Ok when I tried to freestyle. :lol: I had a few stalls and a few 2 and 3 add tricks down when I finally started to kick with the OOPS club. Chad D., Eric W. and Bryan F. Those guys are great! I know Chad still kicks and I think Bryan does too. I think Eric is mostly skateboarding. I kicked NET back then with Mike S., Greg G., Sam G. and Chad D. when he would make it out there. Learned a lot then and keep learning. I will not stop kicking till I get OLD. :wink: Maybe one day my body will tell me when that is but until then I will keep on shreddin!

later,
Mike Jauss
-almost guiltless-
-more fiber = longer runs!
"Fairy Nice" - me :lol:

MrMeebles
Shredalicious

Post by MrMeebles » 24 Mar 2008 02:56

You are probably not a young shredder if...
-the 90's where when you started playing footbag, not when you started life.

Best thred ever. I got my first degree in 1999 (well first full degree, I got an AA in 97), I'll let you all do the math on that one. In the fine spirit of "4 Yorkshiremen" let me just add my comments.

-the first footbag video you've ever seen was on a VHS cassette. It was probably Raw Shred or Tricks of the Trade.

Hell, I remember when videos were unedited raw footage passed around by hand.

-you've had to wait forever and a day to watch a 3MB vid because of a freakin' 56k modem.

I used to dream of a 56k modem.

-you remember when Lavers only came in white nylon mesh upper with either blur or green trim/sole (that damn sole was heavier but lasted longer). Before they came in different materials and colors. Before Chinas.

I also remember how my toes used to bleed because Lavers fit my feet so poorly. I now have perminently messed up toes from those damn shoes.

-you remember a time when a list of people that had hit Nemesis did not exist.

I remember a time when Munger offered a bag to anyone who could hit nemesis on tape. I also remember the time when no one had hit tatw in shoes. A long time ago I proposed a new system for judging difficulty on the old e-mail list and gave some examples. Someone wrote back that my examples were bullshit because I'd given symposium barrage a value, a trick which everyone knew was imposible.

It's kind of strange going to tournaments and being described as "old." But hell, you kids have got it easy now. Back in my day we had to kick jagged rocks in the snow, up hill ... both ways.

btw, anyone interested in my crazy storries of "the old days" can read about them on my blog. Oh and one more thing:

You can tell you're old if
-You remember a time when the word "blog" didn't exist.

-Andrew McCargar
Don't mess with the bunny Outsideworld.org

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 24 Mar 2008 07:11

I remember all of this stuff :D
I'm not old enough to post in this thread yet, but I would watch the same hour-long, raw VHS tape (only one I owned) so many times every single day that the tape barely works now.

Sergey
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Sergey » 24 Mar 2008 15:53

I am young, but can relate to most topic mentioned here. [/i]
Sergey Pikalov

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 25 Mar 2008 08:14

Hey, did any of y'all shave your legs for faster dexes?

You're probably not a young player if todays footbags are tiny and extremely heavy compared to the ones you started out with.
Zeke

Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Rieferman
Flower Child

Post by Rieferman » 25 Mar 2008 09:28

zeke wrote
Hey, did any of y'all shave your legs for faster dexes?
Or, better yet.. How many of you were coerced into shaving your legs by Sam Conlon?

(i.e. how many of you secretly had a crush on Sam and therefore were Ok with being coerced?)
Bob R.

Sergey
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Sergey » 25 Mar 2008 17:30

Zeke wrote:Hey, did any of y'all shave your legs for faster dexes?

You're probably not a young player if todays footbags are tiny and extremely heavy compared to the ones you started out with.
I've heard that swimmers do actually shave their limbs...I dunno, might work for footbag as well. :D
Sergey Pikalov