Portland Oregon

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
redshredz
BSOS Beast

Portland Oregon

Post by redshredz » 29 Jun 2009 18:11

Hi all,
As we am building up to the most current US Open, I wanted to put a quick announce out (which will probably be updating as time goes on). Things have been going very well for footbag in Portland, we are happy to say we are in a second prime here (the first being from when Johnny started it in the 1970's and into the 1980's). With the success of the group in freestyle, net, and the casual kicker scene, as well as the gaining momentum of the US Open Footbag Championships, we are going to delving into some exciting new things this year. This will also officially represent the return of John Stalberger to the world of footbag promotion, we are very optimistic about many of the new projects launching in the near future. More on this after the US Open and Worlds, but initially we are working to fulfill Johnny's original vision of where he would like to see the sport go, and re-establish Portland as the home base of footbag. I also have to throw a shout out to Kenny Shults for his consultation in our work.

Right now we would like to extend an invitation to all footbag players to come visit Portland (US Open or other date) and see what is happening here. If you are contemplating checking out a possible new place to live or explore for a while, Portland has a great deal going on footbag and other, and due to our beloved sport we have very strong connections in the local community here. It is inexpensive to live, we have some decent schools (PSU leading the pack). As we have with our other most recent imports (Chase Card Burns, Sam Cochlough, Brian McKenzie, and now our good friend and iconic shredder Scott Bevier) we are happy to help players get set up here. Portland has much to offer outside of the sport, it is a very easy to live in community driven town, with a great social and nature oriented landscape (Seattle and Canada to the north, Eugene and California to the south, Mount Hood to the east, the ocean to the west). If footbag wasn't here I would still encourage people to check it out, luckily we just happen to have a very healthy footbag scene as well.

Again this is an ongoing invitation to all players, as new people come into our sport, this is directed to them as well, thus I will continue to update the invitation. Consider it a beacon of sorts : ) If you are looking for a good place to live or visit, and want to be a part of a great scene and some exciting new things, please feel to contact me as you like. We welcome everyone in footbag to join Portland and the Sole Purpose Footbag Group!
Red Husted
503-380-4395
red@solepurposefootbag.org

redshredz
BSOS Beast

Post by redshredz » 30 Jun 2009 18:11

Quick edit;
We have two rooms coming available in our shred house (it is a very big house). I figure whenever a room opens up at a kick house in Portland I will post it for possible prospects : )

abstract
Fearless

Post by abstract » 10 Jul 2009 06:28

i was super tempted by this until i realized i would need to get a work visa to join the shred house.

i will still have to visit portland sometime, it sounds amazing.
greg raymond, kingston

FB: Rocker Holliday

"What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby? Maybe we'll never know." - Jack Handey

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 10 Jul 2009 07:36

How much is rent in the shred house? How flexible is the lease?

redshredz
BSOS Beast

Post by redshredz » 16 Jul 2009 16:47

Hiya all,
There is one room for rent, it will be $285.00. Average rent at our house runs around $350.00. We are considering creating another shred house as well sooner or later, if needed : ) There are a few people interested, thus again a second shred house as it goes is certainly under consideration!
ps, I am the property manager, thus for footbag players there is no lease, just month to month : )
Last edited by redshredz on 17 Jul 2009 12:47, edited 1 time in total.

calemccoy
Flower Child

Post by calemccoy » 16 Jul 2009 18:35

i would love to eventually end up in portland with all you guys... so keep me in the books =]
my footblog
bombbags for sale
-cale mccoy-
RVFA footbag

Maraxus
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Maraxus » 16 Jul 2009 22:40

I'll always be a kicker for the crew Red, even if I'm 260 lbs.

Go Sole Purpose
Go Fourkast
Go Portland, OR
bodybuilda

redshredz
BSOS Beast

Post by redshredz » 17 Jul 2009 12:40

Thanks gang for all the kind words regarding Portland, Sole Purpose, the US Open, and Fourkast. It's definitely the good people in the scene that keep us going, I am personally inspired : )

My invitation to Portland is always on the table, again outside of footbag, it is simply a great town. From the Zombie Walk/parade to the Michael Jackson dance offs to the Zoo Bombers (world renown weekly bike parade), Portland is a fun and easy place to live. As great as footbag has been to us here, the town really sells itself outside of our sport. We just happen to have a massive social network and now business operating out of here as well. Please feel free to contact me with any questions, or if you would like to visit!
Thanks all,
Red

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 18 Jul 2009 08:35

I just want to put in another word to support the claim that the Portland crew is awesome and so is the city.

I was lucky enough to meet up with Red and the guys when I was in Portland recently and I was stoked to see things are doing so well there!

Go Portland!

Go Red!
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

redshredz
BSOS Beast

Post by redshredz » 10 Aug 2009 00:06

Thanks for the kind words all! Just got back from a session today, there were 12 shredders total, we were still missing a few, including the illustrious Mr. Nick Landes. It will be nice when he returns and starts schooling with Scott. We are going to be seeing Jim Penske on a bit of a more regular basis due to our recent footbag happenings here, I look forward to seeing these three top players train together. Anyhoo, on the home front, we have one final room open, (it's a big house : ) and I of course would like to keep all freestylers in the shred house, and better yet help people get to town. As always, if anyone is interested, please feel free to contact me, all are welcome in Portland. We always happy to promote our town to the community! Here is the writeup and a couple of pictures from today...
http://www.modified.in./footbag/viewtop ... 617#429617
Red

CIC flurry
Amazingly Sexy Man-Beast

Post by CIC flurry » 25 Aug 2009 21:02

See you all next week.

redshredz
BSOS Beast

Post by redshredz » 03 Sep 2009 22:57

Glad to see you here Tom! Thanks everyone for the inquires and pm's about Portland. Again, all are welcome out here. There is quite a bit of exciting stuff happening, footbag related and other. We have built a very strong footbag social community that is growing constantly. If you are thinking about checking Portland out to live, or just coming in to train with the team, please feel free to contact us anytime. Portland has very been supportive with helping us create a true footbag culture here. Check it out!
R

redshredz
BSOS Beast

Post by redshredz » 03 Oct 2009 18:41

Heya all,
The Portland Shred House may have a new room coming available (we have a big house : ) in the next month. It is a small room, but cheap rent! The price of the room is $225.00 per month, very inexpensive for Portland. Anyway, feel free to contact me if you are interested!
Thanks,
Red

redshredz
BSOS Beast

Post by redshredz » 31 Mar 2010 15:41

Hiya all,
We may have another room coming available. It is the small room, $225.00. Utilities usually put the total around $325.00. Feel free to contact me with any questions!
Red

redshredz
BSOS Beast

Post by redshredz » 03 May 2010 17:02

Hi,
We have a few more rooms coming available at the Sole Purpose house in Portland, if anyone is interested. Our crib is a great gateway into Portland, which is beautiful right now, and will be for many months now. Oh yeah, there is good footbag here too : )
Red

redshredz
BSOS Beast

Post by redshredz » 18 Aug 2010 20:45

Hey gang,
Now that Worlds is over, I would again like to invite the people in this community to come join us in Portland Oregon and be part of the Sole Purpose Group. It seems every year we continue to grow, this is something I am very proud of. The group is in a second golden age right now, but we can still advance to new heights. Aside from the playing, we have quite the social web throughout the town, which connects to other fun and interesting sports and hobbies. Aside from the great footbag scene here, Portland is simply a great town to live in; it is very colorful, and inexpensive. It is a great place to settle down. But don't take my word for it, check it out for yourself! Anyone is welcome to visit anytime they like.

In fact, at our house we have a room for rent right now. It is a very nice room, available as early as September 1st. Please notify me if you are interested, I would love to help another footbag player get set up in our great city.

On the Fourkast side, we are keeping busy with more than a few projects this next year, two of them I am very excited for. We would certainly be happy to have extra input and support, the more the merrier : )

Anyhoo, to sum up, things are pretty exciting here. It doesn't feel like much down time from the 'Summer of Footbag', but that is part of the appeal I guess. I invite everyone to come join us in Portland, where footbag is not just a scene, but a way of life it seems.
Red Husted