BADASSERY Review thread

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
mc
Modifiend

BADASSERY Review thread

Post by mc » 13 Nov 2010 17:15

I woke up this morning and was treated to a screening of Jay and Jorden's new video. I sat and watched, and Jay watched me watch on webcam. I'm giving it my third watch right now.

In short, it's the most wonderfully confusing and incomprehensible footbag video I've ever seen. I was bug-eyed for most of it on my first watch. It's a total delight.

The last time I had this much trouble making sense of what was going on in a footbag video was the first time I saw video of a good freestyler (Erik Wulff, 1998). It's like watching freestyle with noob eyes again. I'm looking forward to the transcription, because there's still some stuff that I can't make any sense of, even with slo-mo and my third time watching.

In the senses of style and control, I feel like Jorden is looking better than ever. His style is looking relaxed and precise, even in it's most intense moments. This video resolidifies my belief that, in terms of creativity and variety, he is absolutely untouchable. Compared to his earlier proliferance with video releases (6-7 years ago), he's been a bit more off the footbag radar for the past few years, so I had assumed that he was focusing more on juggling and circus things, and that being one of the best footbaggers in the world just wasn't on his "to-do" list any more.

Seems I was completely wrong about that!

Two of my favorites from Jorden were inside insurging whirl, and spinning ducking spinning ducking clipper.

As for Jay, he hits some pretty mind-blowing stuff himself in this video. He really maximizes those windows for some insane sets that are just as fun to say as they are to watch; I never would have thought I'd be seeing a frontside fusion set when I woke up today. This video makes it clear that Jay is a quickly-rising star in the NA footbag scene.

In closing, this is a must-see footbag video. It's a lot longer than I had anticipated (almost 27 minutes) and, due to the amount of totally fresh and unbelievable material, it's got high replay value. Pick up a copy today, sit back, and be blown away.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

zachatree
Happy Hippy Hoffa

Post by zachatree » 14 Nov 2010 11:39

Great write up. I agree with every bit

habitat
Post Master General

Post by habitat » 14 Nov 2010 16:30

The DVDA scene was amazing.
James Randall

QuantumBalance
100-Watt Warlock

Post by QuantumBalance » 14 Nov 2010 23:41

Jorden is so amazing! Not only because he is doing the things he is doing, but because it shows you the power of our brain! He is showing us the potential that WE ALL HAVE (to our own certain extents) to utterly destroy preconceptions!

All I'm tryin to say is that this is a HISTORIC VIDEO!

And Jorden, you are my footbag hero.

-Samurai

MathieuGM
Fearless

Post by MathieuGM » 15 Nov 2010 10:02

MC wrote :
In short, it's the most wonderfully confusing and incomprehensible footbag video I've ever seen. ... The last time I had this much trouble making sense of what was going on in a footbag video was the first time I saw video of a good freestyler
That's exactly the way i feel. I watched it 3 times, and there are still lots of move i don't totally understand... Jay definitly deserve to be there. I mean, his moves are definitly not eclipsed by the Jorden ones. I was a bit sacred about that first. I was totally wrong. Good job Jay, you are definitly one of the tops canadian players now.

Seriously, what is the most amazing baout that video is the utilization of the sets. For both Jay and Jorden...

As i said to Jay, i feel that video will be considered as a classic in 10 years. I feel it's like a new ''level'' of utilization of sets. I think we are nowhere close to introduce those set in a regular basis in our strings, but still, they exist...

I remember having a discussion with someone at worlds saying that we both agreed that most of the move where already invented and that we were doubting to ever see tons of new moves. Here we go...

I also really enjoy the reactions of both guys. That give a unique flavor to the video. Might be the first time i see jorden that excited about some moves?

I only wish the slow motion were.... slower. lol.... Yah, even with slow motion there are some move i have hard time to understand.

Awsome vic, worth the 15$.

Mat

Jorden
Retro Athlete

Post by Jorden » 19 Nov 2010 11:51

Blah blah blah coolest name blah blah perception blah.

Come one, community. Time to get back on track here.
What did you guys think of the
MOVIEEEEEEEEEE!!!?!??!?!??!??! :D
Jorden Moir

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 19 Nov 2010 12:00

Jorden wrote:Blah blah blah coolest name blah blah perception blah.

We'll get back to reviewing the movie once we've taken care of the most important issues facing footbag. I know that for me, personally, I won't be able to sleep until I know for sure that Mads Hole has the coolest name in footbag. It's all about priorities.

Ian Brill
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ian Brill » 19 Nov 2010 21:04

I consider it two movies. I spend so much time watching the first part, over and over again that I never have time to watch the second part.

Hope you are still making tons of sales on this. It's amazing.