Flow

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
james_dean
space cowboy

Flow

Post by james_dean » 27 Nov 2010 16:28

Quite likely posted here before but saw the below and it reminded me immediately of the feeling when playing footbag:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXIeFJCq ... r_embedded[/youtube]

The first half is a bit of a boring intro, the second half is relevant. My knee is still injured... maybe I should test it out anyway... I think I need to come here to remind myself the footbag is awesome and worth the effort of getting off my ass. Yeah.

"It's a punk one!" - Auntie Val, after being shown a spikey footbag

Bloggy

Challenge

cd
Egyptian Footgod

Post by cd » 04 Dec 2010 14:00

That was pretty interesting. I love TED talks, every so often something really cool comes up to watch.

I think every experienced player has had those really productive sessions where it feels like they're meditating or in the zone, and it can be pretty hard to get there. The worst thing is when I'm practicing but I'm only half-interested, so I'll get distracted by my thoughts mid-string. It's worth 10x the time invested when you're fully engaged to what you're doing.

Kljopa
Post Master General

Post by Kljopa » 08 Dec 2010 04:06

That was quite interesting.

If you haven't watched Peaceful Warrior you might want to, it is based on a similar concept of a gymnast reaching his higher potential through hihgher engagement.

Definately shred is alot about concentration, sessions when you are focused are very productive. And as you said Chris the half-interested state of mind is bothering.

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 10 Dec 2010 22:09

This is especially cool because there are quite a few similarities between ice skating and footbag without the mental part, but I guess it is both.

anyone ever try taking aderol before footbaggin?
i imagine that would help concentration.
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

SlashC
Egyptian Footgod

Post by SlashC » 11 Dec 2010 00:24

I have been applying the concept of flow to my training sessions for quite some time. I have found that my improvement and style has become more consistent and overall I get more satisfaction out of my sessions.

Here's the figure that the fellow was talking about

I tend to take the lower path to flow: cruising straight into relaxation, hopping up into control, and finally into flow. Sometimes though its fun though to mix it up and get AROUSED.

Also, this concept of flow sounds very similar to the "tora" mentioned in the Vasek manual. Anyone else think so?
Rory "Tophat" Dawson

---

"You can ask a stranger, my legs is fast and danger!"

Pasquar
Fearless

Post by Pasquar » 02 Feb 2011 06:03

We talked about "flow experience" A LOT in my comparative religions class last semester, and footbag was definitely the first thing to come to mind when that concept was introduced

Since then I have been recognizing "flow" as it takes place in SO many different forms, but footbag is still the prime example. Nothing else describes the feeling of continuing a great string and while doing so, one is definitely apart from reality for that time (something else we discussed called "liminality" or liminal experience)
Nick Pasquarello

Shred on