How bad is your flipside?

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.

How far behind is your flipside (in average adds)

0 - I'm BSP
6%
1 - I usually hit tricks my flipside soon after I hit it strongside
29%
2 - It takes me a while to get tricks on my flipside
56%
3 - I don't really practice my flipside
6%
4 - I'm a one-sided maniac
2%

Total votes: 48

Dat
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

How bad is your flipside?

Post by Dat » 27 Jul 2003 10:49

Just wondering how far behind people are. Make sure you work hard to even out your tricks both sides. It'll just get harder the longer you wait.

edit:

When schooling your flipside, pay attention to how you: place your feet, turn your torso, turn your head, distribute the weight on your legs (ie lean more on one leg than the other), how you open your legs and how you move your arms. If you watch good players such as Lon Smith and Ricky Moran, you'll notice they have very balanced arm movements. Feel free to post tips if you have any.
Last edited by Dat on 27 Jul 2003 11:27, edited 1 time in total.
Dat Phan
-

CL: openFrameworks

Iain
1337 h4x0r

Post by Iain » 27 Jul 2003 10:52

i'm kinda 1.5 right now. It doesn't take me too long. But i don't do it do the trick right away on flipside after strong side.

Edit - Nvm...i miss-read number 1. I thought it said right after...not soon after.
Hello, my name is Iain George.

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 27 Jul 2003 11:37

I voted #2,

I actually made a list of all the moves I can hit (3 adds and above) and of the 200+ moves, roughly 1/3 have been hit flipside. I was disapointed and embarrassed.

Dat wrote:It'll just get harder the longer you wait
This is very, very, very, very, very true. :oops: If you think about it, there is no logical reason NOT to learn moves on both sides. It may take a little longer but it's well worth it.

Learned everything the hard way,
Zeke
Zeke

Funny movie titles if the movie were about poop:
Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

Panda Licker
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Panda Licker » 27 Jul 2003 11:42

i used to be able to do everything with both sides. but then i started learning more on my regular side, and completely forgot about my flip. then a few days ago, i realized i could barely toestall on my flip. but now i have a pellet bag to get used to (as compared to my old freedom), so im using this as an opportunity, to learn everything with my flip, and actually make it better than before
-Angelo Oliveria

Spadrick
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Spadrick » 27 Jul 2003 11:54

My flipside is weak as all hell. Im in the stage of gradually strengthening it. I continue to learn new moves on my strongside, accepting the fact that my weakside will trail behind slowly.
Adam Dexter

hacksterbator
Washed-Up Child Star

Post by hacksterbator » 27 Jul 2003 17:00

The first time i had a shred with Erik Chan, his words were "You've got to school your flip side. Other wise you'll fall off." that was about a month after i started freestyling. So i spent a week and took every move i had down on my good side and learned it switch. Now i have very little trouble learning tricks switch. So a big thanks to Erik for saving me years of frustration. Thanks dewd, i owe you one.

HackingGanesh
Fearless

Post by HackingGanesh » 27 Jul 2003 17:05

I've been worried about my flipside for a long time. I finally started to drill flipside clippers, which has been my main problem. But now, I find that my sets from my flip clipper are much better than my regular side sets, and i can spin out of flipside clipper sets, but with my reg side i cant spin despite a bunch of sessions trying to drill it. So it turns out maybe i'm not bigfoot after all, more of a hybrid or bigfoot/sideways. Who knew.

QuantumBalance
100-Watt Warlock

Post by QuantumBalance » 28 Jul 2003 00:27

BSP upgraded to B.S.o.s Posse

NotHisRealName
Post Master General

Post by NotHisRealName » 28 Jul 2003 00:42

QuantumBalance wrote:BSP upgraded to B.S.o.s Posse
OK, I'll bite... What's B.S.o.s stand for?

I voted for 2, but that's regarding most of the stuff I'm already hitting (which isn't much, thankfully). My pixie sets are VERY onesided. However, with all the new tricks I try, I'm attempting both sides equally.
Having the basic basics pretty down, any new trick I try (so long as a pixie set is not called for) has equal chance of success.
Comment in the BCS blog if you feel the need to.

Gareth Williams

Paul Toews
Shredalicious

Post by Paul Toews » 28 Jul 2003 01:51

I voted 1

I can do everything on both sides except for symposium dbl down stuff :oops:

ninja
BSOS Beast

Post by ninja » 28 Jul 2003 02:13

BSOS = Both sides one string.

Bsp is Both sides par right?
Clayton Chin

NotHisRealName
Post Master General

Post by NotHisRealName » 28 Jul 2003 03:14

I thought BSP was Both Sides Possie(sp?)
Comment in the BCS blog if you feel the need to.

Gareth Williams

Senor Grommet
Post Master General

Post by Senor Grommet » 28 Jul 2003 11:11

both sided pussy

edit:
please excuse my language-this is only a joke, dont take it to heart
My name: Jeremy Mirken, AKA Chocolatey Shatner, AKA jerk enemy rim.

I kick it with trunk chef elf and liz luck key my.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 28 Jul 2003 11:35

i think the only moves i havent hit both sides are:
predator, bladerunner, and bedwetter
and whirlwind.

but i think whirlwind should be easier now that im lots better at flip spinning now. also. bedwetter has been off my foot too many times to count.

i have a tip! when i do toe stalls. my right knee points in. but my left knee points outward. this messes me up for things. and it is REALLY hard to change i think. i cant outside stall on my left foot. and it took me forever to clipper with my right (i cant relaly inside stall or inside kick with my right..). i can pixie with my right leg. because of the knee bending in. and i can paradon with my left. because of the knee pointing out. my problem with flip eggbeaters is my inward bending right knee. for the first dex. you need to bend outward for things like the first dex of eggbeater. double downs. and fairy sets.
maybe that wasnt too much a tip. but. watch your knees! cause damn it all that has messed me up.

ShredStylez
Republican

Post by ShredStylez » 28 Jul 2003 12:18

i voted two. some tricks i learned first on my flip but some have still yet to be discovered. i'm really schooling my tiltless strings now on my flipsde though so it's commin.
There is always a bigger trick.

Go watch a vid. of Dylan Fry.

-Mark "The Force" Schwartz

Dat
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Dat » 28 Jul 2003 12:40

I have the same problem erik. It's because you and I tilt our torsos and hips in the same fashion for both sides. Practice relaxing your back muscles, turning your hips and tilting your torso the other way. Tilt your neck the other way too. This will make your flipside leggy dexes open up and easier to see.
Dat Phan
-

CL: openFrameworks

TwistedTorque
Fearless

Post by TwistedTorque » 28 Jul 2003 14:01

When I hit Pdx Torque on Strong Side it pops my entire back (in a pleasurful, ephoric way).
I thought to myself that continually popping my back one way could mess up my back in the long run, so I better start trying that flipside.
How's that for flip motivation?

Oh ya: i voted 2
Evan Lovely
Twitter
Personal Site
Sole Purpose Footbag Convert
Portland, OR

FootbagginBum
Flower Child

Post by FootbagginBum » 28 Jul 2003 14:35

I'm voting 1 with acceptions.

Can't flip pixie set more than pixie butterfly and smear.
Freakin flip fairy, I'll kill it...
Flip DLO/eggbeater
Flip whirl can't be counted on as a landing for anything yet, but I have blurry whirled a few times with it.
Slightly weaker flip clip in general.

All that stuff under HEAVY construction.

But, for stepping, atomic, double elements, I'm pretty balanced, and I can do at least 60% of my tricks both sides, and if you take out pixie and fairy, prolly 85% both sides.

However, after typing this, I will sadly vote 2, but it won't be for that much longer.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world" - Gandhi

xndru
Multidex Master

Post by xndru » 28 Jul 2003 17:31

Everything I can do, I can do on both sides. It was always been somewhat of a personal vendetta. I always learn things on both sides.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 28 Jul 2003 19:33

thanks dat!! i went outside and tried bubbabeaters and pdx eggbeaters. and they were sooooo easy flipside after i started leaning to that side. its still hard to point the knees right though.