learn pdx first?

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
CICFreestyler17
Hack Fiend

learn pdx first?

Post by CICFreestyler17 » 30 Sep 2011 14:48

with drifter, dlo, torque? it will take u longer to learn but your style will be cleaner because u cant pull your sets. thoughts?

Jazzkid
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Jazzkid » 01 Oct 2011 05:37

^ I think I understand what your getting at, but I dont really agree. I am a firm believer that this game is comprehensive in many ways. We have a rough system of learning fundamental components before moving on to the next trick. So, if you really spend the time to learn a torque, then making it paradox will be the next logical progresson. Sometimes this isnt the case because we as footbaggers tend to move on to the next trick before the concept is truly mastered. I have many times even went back to the fundamental component because I figured out a way to hit a harder trick but it lacked ease and effeciency becasue of my lack of fundamental mastery.
Plus, good luck showing someone p dlo before dlo. I feel that this would be like trying to hit montage before you could effortlessly hit a symp whirl.

Thoughts?

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 01 Oct 2011 15:32

When I'm training I don't recognise "pdx" at all, but just focus on components - so if I'm drilling whirls, I'd drill whirl, toe whirl, and pdx whirl - as if they were the same move. I feel that working on a component from a variety of sets is a much better technique than working on it from one set until mastered, and then moving to the next set. I think a reasonable goal is to have your form for any particular component looking the same, regardless of set, and that focusing on one set leads to developing particular habits that might be helpful to that set, but a detrimental to learning the component as a whole.

So I agree with the reasoning about learning pdx before non-pdx, but I think even better is to learn both at once.

Swizzle
BSOS Beast

Post by Swizzle » 10 Oct 2011 06:00

I feel like mullet helped my PS whirl because I was forced to turn more in the mullet to pull it off, whereas the ps whirl had bad form and I didn't recognize my fault until trying mullet. Other than that, most of the time learning the easier trick with less components makes the more difficult trick easier. But if you feel like you are learning something by trying paradox then go for it, everybody's different. You also may realize you were wrong in the end too. Who knows.
Cory Allen
My Footblog