Possible New "Club Location" Section On Modified?

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.

Good Idea?

Yes
88%
No
12%

Total votes: 17

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Possible New "Club Location" Section On Modified?

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 25 Nov 2011 22:48

So I love modified, and everything, but one thing that I always noticed...

Sometimes, when a new player signs up for Modified, and they fill in their state or country, this may go completely unnoticed by many.

For instance, this summer, I happened to peek into the "Post your shoes" thread, and I saw a guy who only made one post and that happened to be that one post. He had already been a member for a little while. I saw that he was from my state, but it just said "Pennsylvania", so I pm'ed him and asked him where exactly in PA he lived, and it turned out that he lived 20 minutes away from me. I met up with him, taught him all I know, and now he's the most promising new freestyle player I've ever seen.

Also, I recently noticed that there are 2 players on modified who are in the same state, possibly even close-distance to each other, but I can't remember where I saw either of them. This ticks me off, because I really wanted to try to hook them up as shred partners. Footbag is less fun if you're learning everything by yourself. You are also less motivated and more likely to quit. But if 2 players meet up around the same level, they can have more fun by learning together, teaching each other, and improving together.

I'm proposing we make a new section on the homepage of .in called "Footbag Club Locations". I know we have one on .org, but I've noticed that people often join one or the other. I just feel that this way, we will have a better chance of getting more players that are able to find other players to learn from or learn with. Also, a lot of the club members on .org are out-of-date, fake, or not interested in actually playing freestyle.

Sorry if this idea sucks, but I just think that it would be an easier way for new players to connect with each other. If enough people agree with me, then can we make this happen, mods?
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Outsider
Ayatollah of Rock n' Rollah

Post by Outsider » 26 Nov 2011 06:16

Good idea. Lets do it.

Also, I sometimes like to search this site or footbag.org for people -- I search by location. But, the location that people enter for where they are allows them to put in just anything at all, which makes the searching very hit-or-miss. It would be better if there were some solid choices, like a drop-down box that actually listed all the countries that one might be from, and then another drop-down that listed the state/province. They have this sort of info on a million other web-sites... Any time I buy something on-line its like that...

As far as I'm concerned, people could leave that info blank, but, for those who would like to be able to be found by other kickers who are doing a search it could make things better. For instance, on footbag.org, when I search for people near me, I've got to search for "New Jersey" and for "NJ" and for "N.J." and I get a different list of people each time. It shouldn't be that way. I think its even worse here.
"The time has come to convert the unbelievers..."

Jonathan Schneider --- sometimes showers with his Lavers on (to clean them)
The Ministry of Silly Walks
NYFA
BAP

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 30 Nov 2011 11:52

Thanks Jon and everyone else who voted "yes". I'm going to bring this up with Mods now.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman