DLO and eggbeater style double dexes

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

DLO and eggbeater style double dexes

Post by crazydwarf » 29 Sep 2012 10:13

So there are a few types of categories for downtime double dex tricks. The one I've recently become most interested in is the DLO, eggbeater style of tricks. These seem to be classified as...

using two legs to do two dexes at approximatly the same time
since both dexes are done at once both feet are in the air so the tricks are either symple or symposium
they are all downtime

This category of tricks is pretty large but there are very few done frequently

common tricks
double legover
eggbeater

uncommon tricks
da da curve (miraging butterfly, this one doesn't look great unless you can do the symple butter super clean but it does fit into this category of tricks)
merlin (miraging symposium mirage)

tricks I've only seen done a few times
miraging flail
illusioning flail
miraging pickup

Some of these type of tricks don't work great as your feet end up colliding but I think any combination of the following could be done...
anything starting with:
mirage
illusion
(or same side or paradox)

ending with:
mirage
illusion
pickup
legover
butterfly
drifter

So my question to the footbag universe is...
1. Why are dlo and eggbeater so common compared to all other combinations of these moves?
2. Are there any starts or ends I'm missing?
3. have all these (12 so far) combinations been hit?
Dustin Rhodes

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Re: DLO and eggbeater style double dexes

Post by Slowsis » 01 Oct 2012 16:12

1. Dlo and egg are so common because the legover at the end takes the least amount of time for the dex to occur. Think about which trick is easiest out of something like stepping. A legover can be done in a very small amount of a bags arc.

2. Osis (Torque, Flux, Twirl)
Butterfly (Butter Swirl, What, Butter rake)
Swirl (Start - Twirl, revup) (End - Butter Swirl, Whirling Swirl, Swifter, Barfly/Paradon Swirl, Honey Badger)
Barrage (Flurry)
Dyno (Torquescrew)
Symp Whirl (Toxic)
Symp DD (Mofly)
Rake (Every trick ever that ends in clipper, then sub in rake)
More.....

3. I think all the tricks on your list have been hit except maybe the ones ending in drifter.
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog

rjadamson
Multidex Master

Post by rjadamson » 01 Oct 2012 18:10

I have hit miraging pickup (legeater), but I'm still not to the point where I can do it anywhere near reliably. Brian's gyro legeater from the recent "Stanford Footbag Club feat. Mathias Blau" video was really cool.

Miraging drifter would certainly be interesting. I also think that if drifter made the list (after all, it already has a miraging component) you should also add grifter even though it's less common and more difficult. Illusioning grifter would be really cool. Miraging mirage (non-symposium) would amuse me.

Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 04 Oct 2012 07:00

I challenged Jay to eggbeater with a drifter replacing the legover. He seemed very interested in trying it but don't know if he has hit it.

I've done merlin with the first dex as an illusion instead of mirage. Approached the first dex like a grifter
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

Nathan
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Nathan » 04 Oct 2012 08:52

I've always like miraging flail. I think it's called Slaughter or something, but Dave Clavens used to call it Fresh Egg and that name made me laugh..

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Post by Slowsis » 04 Oct 2012 19:27

Sporatical_Distractions wrote:I've done merlin with the first dex as an illusion instead of mirage. Approached the first dex like a grifter
Having done all four of the mirage/illusion combos, I think that one is the hardest to clean.
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 05 Oct 2012 08:44

@Adam
1. Yeah that must be it. Legover is harder for me then it is for most people (not that it's hard or anything I just find butterfly loads easier). I can see what you mean about doing it with very little time left before the bag hits the ground.

2. I like some of these. The thing that differentiated dlo and eggbeater from other tricks in my mind is that you can do 2 dexes (or 2 components) at the same time.
From your list this makes sense with torque (your doing both the mirage and the osis at the same time).
Swirl seems to work pretty well to as whirling swirl is very same timey for lots of people.
It gets a bit confusing with tricks like flurry though. I don't feel like with flurry you can do all both of the barrage dexes at the same time. I can do 1 barrage dex and the legover together but not all 3 at the same time. However if you take the barrage as 1 trick and the legover as 1 trick then you do both tricks at the same time.
Torquescrew works well as the mirage osis and dyno all take place at about the same time
I don't know what toxic is (mirageing symp whirl?) but it seems like it would fit well
double downs I'm on the edge just like barrages. You can't do both the double down dexes at once, one of them has to be after the other it seems like.
3. That's what I figured

@Reilley Yeah miraging pickup is fun. That is a sick trick by Brian in our video. That's true about grifter. Illusioning grifter would be badass. The problem is if you did miraging non-symp mirage I don't think you couldn't do both components at the same time which is what I'm interested in. Maybe there's some weird way you could do it that I'm not picturing though...

@Kevin Yeah the drifter ones I haven't really seen before. They'd be cool.

@Nathan - Haha that's true! Dave does call that one fresh egg. I had forgotten as I don't think he's mentioned it in a while.

@Adam - Yeah the merlin tricks are hard to clean in general and that one is super hard because if it's too clean your legs can collide.
Dustin Rhodes