Upgrading modified

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Re: Upgrading modified

Post by PoisonTaffy » 01 Dec 2012 08:12

I'm happy to announce that the functionality I planned for the initial release is done.

I really rushed the development (all those promises to stop and write tests were hardly fulfilled), so I'm sure there are plenty of bugs. I could really use help in finding them. Just post them on this thread.

If there are features that you think are crucial for the initial release, and life would be meaningless without them, post them as well.

My progress report thread has all the features listed, there are too many to specify here.

One thing I know that's not yet working is that emails are not sent to you when you register or ask to reset your password. That's because I registered to the service that sends emails and my registration is still pending.

The site can be found here.
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 04 Dec 2012 13:17

I imported to the site all videos from my video feed database, so the site has a shitload of videos, some of them even tagged correctly.
Also, email sending works, and I put it on a nicer domain for now:

http://modified.poisontaffy.com

Roy Klein

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 09 Dec 2012 23:50

I wrote an import script for modified blogs. It's working.

I didn't plan on doing it before the first release, but I had an idea on how to quickly do it without accessing the database and wanted to try it out.

You can see the results on my blog.

I'm pretty happy with the outcome, I think I covered everything important:
1) The text styling is imported (not via BBCode like I originally thought it would, which means I can dump bbcode altogether and incorporate a wysiwyg text editor (a la gmail))
2) The script knows to differentiate between a post by the blog author and a post by someone else. Posts by non-blog-authors are attached to the original post as a comment. I can tell which post to relate it to according to date: i.e. if it comes after post #1 by author but before post #2 by author, it's a comment on post #1. I don't even need the commenter to be registered, I just show a default avatar and their modified user name.
3) The smilies are imported

I want to improve it slightly:
1) I want users to enter their modified.in user name, so that when someone imports their blogs, the comments by the original authors are attached to the correct user, if they are registered.
2) Also, I want to use it to enforce importation only of your blog, and not just any blog

Any thoughts?

Roy Klein

rjadamson
Multidex Master

Post by rjadamson » 10 Dec 2012 00:42

When I view your blog page from that link I can see the "Holyland Adventures" title, but no content. If I click your newest blog post from the activity feed on the right I can then see the post itself.

I tested this with both Firefox and Chrome to the same result. Am I doing something wrong?

Either way thanks so much for your work on this. Importing the footblogs in particular is in my opinion one of the most important things to carry over. If you can indeed have them imported over while retaining the correct dates (as opposed to importing over 500 posts that the new website reads as all being from "today") we're really in business.

I'm still candidly worried that this project is really a one man project right now. I have a bunch of friends who are attending or are recently graduated from art school who could probably do the front end aspect of the new site justice, but I just don't know how much money I have to commission someone to work on it yet. Once my employment situation is a little more clear (something I should find out in about a week) I will have more information on this.

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 10 Dec 2012 01:00

Blog posts are private by default (someone requested this of me) so you have to be a registered user, logged on to see them.

I didn't think anyone would join in the project until it's out there and successful, so I'm not as worried. I'm more worried about publicizing it at the right time and having people actually use it henceforth. Once it's somewhat popular, I'm sure more people would be interested in contributing.

I wanted to keep the project frozen for a bit and play with it to weed out any serious bugs, and therefore I felt kind of guilty for putting the blog converter online (I even added some bugs I'm aware of in the process: posts on the main feed don't have text, infinite scroll not perfect), but since you say it's that important, I feel somewhat better about it :)

Roy Klein