Footbag competitions

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
footbagwrestler
Circle Kicker

Footbag competitions

Post by footbagwrestler » 26 Dec 2012 15:12

I'm sorta new to the sport, I've been playin for a bit and been reading the forum since I started, what I'm wondering is is there a website where I can check out wut events there r near me or something? How do other ppl figure it out?

Outsider
Ayatollah of Rock n' Rollah

Re: Footbag competitions

Post by Outsider » 27 Dec 2012 07:43

Hey Wrestler,

The most official calendar of events is at http://www.footbag.org

The web-site as a whole has a variety of resources -- I recommend signing-up on that web-site and also starting a "club" on that site too, so other kickers in your area might be able to find you more easily to meet up and jam.

The schedule of upcoming events on that web-site is: http://www.footbag.org/events/list

As you can see, there are simply not that many events listed at this time, and none of those scheduled events are even in the United States (my country, and I am guessing yours as well). Eventually, there will be more events that get scheduled, and, if you're lucky, some will be near-by to you. You can scan the "Previous Events" to get a sense of what competitions happen year-after-year and where they happen (some events are basically in the same place each year, and some events like the European Championships or the World Championships tend to be in a different location each year): http://www.footbag.org/events/past?year=2012

On the other hand, you've probably noticed that right here on this forum is a sub-heading titled "Journies to Tournies and Footbag Travel" --- of course some competitions will be posted both HERE AND at http://www.footbag.org but some events will only be posted on this forum. There's not much rhyme-or-reason to it, but, in general you might say that smaller-scale events, especially non-competitive events, might ONLY get advertised on this forum and not on the other web-site, and events that are ONLY or predominantly NET events (as opposed to freestyle) might be advertised on that other web-site but NOT on this forum, because this form is mostly concerned with Freestyle Footbag and not Footbag Net.

One other alternative is that notification of some events might spread mostly over FaceBook --- what can I say, too many different options have sort of fragmented the on-line footbag community recently.

Lastly, don't be overly concerned about the competitive nature of a tournament. Some footbag events are competitions, and some are non-competitive "Jams", but they're all good fun and worth visiting -- that is to say, a Competition is not necessarily a better event than a non-competitive Jam, or vice-versa. Some Jams are bigger than some competitions. Some people enjoy competing, but some of the best players I've ever known would play alot at competitions but rarely actually enter a competition, they'd just show-up to play and have fun. Conversely, sometimes at a jam an impromptue competition will be arranged. In this game, we often say that a competitions is just an excuse to get alot of people together to play alot.

PS -- it could help if you give some indication of your own location -- there might be some people on this forum who live near-by to you and would like to meet up to kick, even if (or, especially if) there are no competitions and jams scheduled for anywhere near you. Or, better still, maybe you and those other kickers who live near-by to you might put your heads together and actually HOST a competition that people from elsewhere would travel to. Thats a cool thing about this sport --- if you want to play with other kickers enough, you can either go to them, or you can find a way to make them come to you.
"The time has come to convert the unbelievers..."

Jonathan Schneider --- sometimes showers with his Lavers on (to clean them)
The Ministry of Silly Walks
NYFA
BAP

CIC flurry
Amazingly Sexy Man-Beast

Post by CIC flurry » 27 Dec 2012 09:41

cool avatar!

footbagwrestler
Circle Kicker

Post by footbagwrestler » 27 Dec 2012 11:13

Well everyone has always told me tht the best way to get better is to play with someone better, I just think it wuld b fun to go to an event or something. And I've checked, most ppl who play live in the city but I live to far away to rlly go there regularly. Haha thanks u 2