Footbaggers Who Used to Skateboard

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Re: Footbaggers Who Used to Skateboard

Post by Kylescook » 05 Jun 2015 18:05

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic wrote:And Ken, as far as tips to get started, riding is pretty easy right away, but learning to Ollie is tough.. Best advice is to stand in front of a tennis court fence and hold on while making several hundred attempts at Ollies.
I did the same thing learning kick flip except with barstools on either side of me, works great.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 31 Aug 2015 10:10

Thanks for the tips guys!
C-Fan wrote: I bought my first skateboard this year, at the tender age of 35. I'm waiting for USO and Worlds to be over before I try it out at all,
I finally did!
Also had a skate the next day, which was fun too. I still need to get more comfortable just rolling on the board, and steering it. I'm already having a lot of fun with it though, so I'm optimistic I'll continue to mess around with it.

DC Clinks
BSOS Beast

Post by DC Clinks » 02 Sep 2015 22:35

Ken: Looks like a lot of fun dude. We might be learning some stuff at the same time.

Damn you guys are making me want to go out and buy a board right now. I tried to get into skating a couple years ago with some WalMart board I borrowed from my friend and never made it past Ollies in terms of tricks. Got real comfortable riding it around, pivoting, dealing with speed wobbles on hills etc.

Since footbag seems to be destroying my shins I figure skating would be a pretty welcome respite, as ironic as that sounds. Wouldn't really have any intentions of getting good as I do have with footbag, but would be fun to be a "tiltless" skater I suppose. Will have to think on it.
-Daniel C. NY, USA. "Sacrifice a goat to our Lord and Savior Evan Gatesman".

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 05 Sep 2015 08:41

DC Clinks wrote:Wouldn't really have any intentions of getting good as I do have with footbag, but would be fun to be a "tiltless" skater I suppose.
Tiltless skaters break ankles and can't become guiltless footbaggers ;)
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 05 Sep 2015 20:34

My goal is also to become a tiltless skater. The problem is everything is so hard. This shit took me like 30 minutes, and I don't even think its a hard trick:

max
Australofrenchbrityorkus

Post by max » 09 Sep 2015 16:33

It's a primo (I think). Not many people do these anymore, they were pretty big when skaters used to do flatland stuff a la old-school Rodney Mullen but that kinda died out in the 80's.

hey I saw your shoveit video on youtube: you should definitely try it and other tricks while rolling (even slowly). I found that a lot of tricks are much easier to do while moving rather than stationary. Good luck!
Maxime Boucoiran
French ConneXion
BFC

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 10 Sep 2015 09:18

Are there any videos out there of footbaggers skating? I always love to see players I know doing other sports, and now that I'm learning to skate I think that'd be even more fun.
max wrote:when skaters used to do flatland stuff a la old-school Rodney Mullen but that kinda died out in the 80's.
:lol: Figures that the style of skating I want to learn isn't popular. But yeah, the flatland freestyle stuff is exactly the kind of stuff I want to learn.
max wrote:you should definitely try it and other tricks while rolling (even slowly). I found that a lot of tricks are much easier to do while moving rather than stationary.
Yeah, a bunch of other footbaggers told me the same, so I'll definitely try that out. I was initially trying to learn some of these tricks stationary for 3 reasons:

:arrow: The tutorial video I studied on shuvit specifically said to do it stationary, going so far as to recommend finding a crack to plant your back wheel in it. But since all the footbaggers say to do it rolling, I guess that was bad advice.

:arrow: I need to find a space that's clear enough that I can roll and try tricks. My driveway is a bad place for that. I'm scared that if I focus my attention on the board and my feet, I won't be able to see if I'm rolling into traffic or other trouble.

:arrow: It's a lot easier for me to film myself stationary than rolling. I found that in footbag studying vid of myself helped me learn, so I'd like to do the same with skating.

If I can find a good space where I can roll without fear of hitting anything, then I'll try the rolling method on ollie and shuvit and whatnot. I'm sure I can figure out a filming solution without too much trouble too.

Thanks for the feedback!

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 10 Sep 2015 21:56

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 11 Sep 2015 08:14

I think our skate styles are quite similar, Asmus.

Request: Asmus goofing off 2015 video.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 11 Sep 2015 22:40

It's actually my little brother skating in that video, but nobody seems to notice and I did the completely same thing a couple of times that day. I also hit my first Primo that week. Haven't fooled around with skateboarding since.

My smallest little brother is pretty good (13 years old). I should try to convince him to let me film him for a small video.

I will see if I can come up with a new goof video.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 14 Sep 2015 06:58

I'm really enjoying skating so far. My board was missing pivot locks and needed new bushings, which explains why the trucks were so loose. I got replacements for less than $9, including installation. Excited to hit the park again when I get back from this trip:

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 17 Sep 2015 05:38

One thing I would recommend at that park is go for a big sort of carving turn on the bowl section, as if you are surfing a wave. You are making some good progress for just starting out.

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 17 Sep 2015 19:19

be sure to get comfortable moving not just forward but backward as well. tricks done while moving backwards are typically prefixed with fakie. For example, you'd want to practice ollie while still, ollie while moving, and fakie ollie. This becomes very helpful when linking combos and skating vert style ramps
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 27 Sep 2015 17:00

8 days skating for me, and I'm definitely hooked. New favorite trick for me is this:
I think I like it because it feels like a footbag trick, where there's almost a stall, and jumping.

Some kid at the park gave me new wheels for my board. It's been a very supportive community so far, with lots of people offering to teach me tricks. They're also really receptive to hack circles, which has been fun too. I may have to introduce foursquare there sometime.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 13 Nov 2015 20:06

New combo with the cigarette flip, incorporating a trick I just figured out today (the one footed jump out of primo).