What to do in 10 minutes

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
royk
Circle Kicker

What to do in 10 minutes

Post by royk » 20 Apr 2015 11:17

I've been practicing footbag 5-10 minutes a day, every day, on top of regular shred. At the office I just put on my lavers, find a quiet room, and practice just enough to not break a sweat so I can get back to work with no problem.

I was wondering, suppose you did the same. What would you do with your 10 minutes training? How would you spend them? I'm looking for ideas to diversify my own training.

And remember, no breaking sweat allowed!

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Re: What to do in 10 minutes

Post by Tjuggles » 20 Apr 2015 11:24

I would work on my weakest concept.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

Outsider
Ayatollah of Rock n' Rollah

Post by Outsider » 20 Apr 2015 12:26

Speaking only for myself...

Ten minutes is way to little time to practice the way I like to practice. But, just for the sake of this topic,

I would practice my cross-body soles and dragons. Jumping around a lot will get you sweaty. Clipper > Cross-Body Sole > Clipper > repeat: this all happens standing on just one leg. Its good exercise for all those little muscles of the foot, ankle, calf, and hips that help to stabilize your body whilst standing on one leg. Try to do this without planting your set foot in-between stalls.

This same drill also works fine for clipper > dragon > clipper > repeat, and also
dragon > cross-body sole > dragon > rpt. and
clipper > cross-body heel stall > clipper > rpt.

Of course, this is just one leg at a time. Since these combos don't switch sides, you 've got to do one leg at a time, but I think you'll find that, even without any jumping around, these drills can be pretty taxing on your leg strength (in a good way.)

Another benefit is that these kinds of tricks can be practiced while wearing long pants --- without the need to dex, it matter less if you're not wearing shorts.

Finally, along that same line, one can practice basic Swirls in a similar way --- not much jumping around needed means not much sweating.
"The time has come to convert the unbelievers..."

Jonathan Schneider --- sometimes showers with his Lavers on (to clean them)
The Ministry of Silly Walks
NYFA
BAP

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 20 Apr 2015 13:23

Outsider wrote:Speaking only for myself...
Ten minutes is way to little time to practice the way I like to practice. But, just for the sake of this topic,
I'd have to agree, I like ten to twenty minutes just to warm up when I practice. But when I'm at work and can't break a sweat or be out of breath I'll practice Clipper>Cross Body Sole Stall>Clipper and Osis>Osis or hand Clipper>Osis trying to stop the Osis completely.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 20 Apr 2015 18:47

Consecutive kicks on a wide variety of surfaces, try and go for really long tiltlesd records.

royk
Circle Kicker

Post by royk » 20 Apr 2015 22:11

Thanks for the input! Here's what I'm doing:

10 minutes definitely don't constitute a real practice - I do have regular shreds on top of that! The question is whether you can get something useful out of them, and I kind of feel like they are helping me.

When I think of what I want to achieve in these 10 minutes I tell myself that I want to improve the way my game looks, so I work on form. I do the most perfect clipper stall I can, paying attention to every detail about it, including hand posture, with both correct technique and good looking form in mind.

After a few of those, I "graduate" to clipper->clipper or clipper->op clipper, now paying more attention to making a great set and a great seal. Then, clipper->osis, etc.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 21 Apr 2015 05:31

I would just strictly do ATWs and/or Orbits. The most basic form of any dexterity trick. You improve at those, you improve at everything.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

royk
Circle Kicker

Post by royk » 21 Apr 2015 09:30

At worlds 2013 Gatesman told me: "Clipper is the most important trick in footbag". I took it literally, that's why I'm focusing on it :)

But Nick, you're putting forward a very strong opinion and I consider you a player whose opinions must be reckoned with as well. I will add ATWs/Orbits to my 10 minutes. Thank you for the suggestion.

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 22 Apr 2015 07:53

I'd agree that both clipper and atw/orbit are the most important fundamental concepts.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 23 Apr 2015 09:32

Clipper is right up there with ATW/Orbits, but if you can't do a perfect alternating Inside Stall x100 every try, I wouldn't even touch Clippers yet.
Nick Polini

Funblog

royk
Circle Kicker

Post by royk » 23 Apr 2015 21:58

That's the kind of advice people always give but I doubt anyone ever actually implemented themselves :) I myself learned clipper before I was great at inside, but eventually I did drill the hell out of insides and it did improve my clipper, so it is sound advice.

But at any rate this is not a total beginner discussion, I should have made it explicit that we're taking about what gains could an experienced player make with a short timeframe of practice every day. Maybe once a week I could drill inside stalls though, not a bad thought.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 28 Apr 2015 07:58

Even when you think you're good enough, basics training can heighten your level even more
Nick Polini

Funblog