Freestyle Footbag Glossary from (now defunct) Flipsider.com

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
Allan

Freestyle Footbag Glossary from (now defunct) Flipsider.com

Post by Allan » 21 Jun 2015 14:24

From the old flipsider.com via Archive.org:
Freestyle Footbag Glossary
A

adds – n. components of tricks, such as dexes, spins, and stalls. Originally devised by Rippin' Rick Reese and Kenny Shults to help invent tricks back in the late 80s. (Adds do not equal difficulty!)

add-hunting- v. trying to hit moves not as difficult as their component (add) value represents. Adds do not equal difficulty, but more of a general reference for moves.

B

bail – n. performing a move below one's ability. That is to "bail to a toe stall" if you are intermediate.

bsos – adj. abbrev. for "both sides one string," as in doing a move or combo on both sides in the same run.

C

circle – n. a group of people engaged in playing footbag. A freestyle circle should typically have 2-4 players, or a maximum of 5, so everyone stays warm. If someone steps in to make it 6, suggest you make 2 circles of 3.

cleanliness – adj. a measurement of dex execution, either deep, regular or thin, deep being the better of the three. Missing the dex is slop (also called 'the').

combo – n. a combination of tricks.

component – n. an element of a move which occurs between the start and end contact.

compound – 1. adj. a move or set involving dexes with both legs. Simple is when dexing with only one leg.

contact – n. any touching of the bag is a contact, from when the footbag first touches the body to when it leaves. The two possible contacts are Kicks and Stalls, neither of which are tricks on their own.

D

dex – n. short for dexterity, refers to the act of moving one's leg(s) upper body or neck around the footbag along the X, Y or Z axis. Also, double-dex and triple-dex refer to 2 times and 3 times around the footbag in a single trick.

dex direction – n. out-in (right leg counter-clockwise) or in-out (right leg clockwise).

density – n. a general term describing a combo or run that is composed entirely of high difficulty. The higher the average level of difficulty, the higher the density. dense – adj. a combo that is of high average difficulty.

drag – n. the act of moving the footbag from one position to another by using a contact to carry or "drag" it, i.e. Rake is a type of drag.

drop – n. to drop the footbag on the ground.

F

flipside – n. the unnatural side for a player, like ‘switch stance’ in skateboarding. It applies to each individual trick, since many tricks start and end on opposite feet. So you have a ‘regular’ Blur and a ‘flip’ Blur.

form – n. form is a combination of balance, timing and body manipulation, relating to the execution of moves.

G

genuine – n. the act of linking without bails.

H

hack – n. an event that happens when all members of a footbag circle contact the bag before it drops. Someone might exclaim, "We got a hack!"

hands – n. the first major rule in footbag is to not use your hands and arms. Also, don’t use your mouth.

L

link – v. to combine tricks in an uninterrupted flow, each of at least one component. n. the act of linking.

M

move/trick – n. from when the footbag leaves one contact (start contact) to when it leaves the next contact (end contact). Each trick is comprised of at least one component between start and end contacts. Each trick that can be done all downtime gets its own shortened name, regardless of the setting contact or position.

Muted – not planting the foot or feet during or between components which normally entail planting. Tricks which normally don’t require planting don’t need to be called Muted.

N

notation – n. a technical language used to describe footbag moves in writing, e.g. Mirage = in-out (dex) > opp Toe (contact).

P

pass – n. kicking or tossing the footbag to another player.

pivot – n. changing positions (turning), usually on one foot.

plant – v. to put one's foot on the ground during a trick.

props – n. the physical act of acknowledging a player's skill by briefly connecting hands in one or more of various ways, i.e. high five, low five, and knuckles.

R

rebate – v. passing back to the player before you, if you want him to have another try, such as if he misses his first trick. Rebates should only be given occasionally. – n. a pass-back.

regulate – v. when the person before you tries a combo, then you get the footbag and bust something very similar, but much harder. This is named after Ryan "The Regulator" Mulroney, who was untouchable for years.

roll – n. the act of rolling the footbag between joints along the surface of the body, such as Hip to For

run – n. a succession of tricks, usually at least ten moves long. Also called a string.

S

scrape – v. scraping the footbag on the ground, attempting to roll it up on your foot to fling it in the air. Only crochet sacks can handle this abuse, so don't do it to a good footbag.

seal – 1. v. to show control over a move by either hand-catching or contacting the footbag after landing the move. 2. v. to intentionally end a run by passing the bag before dropping.

self-serve – n. to pass the bag to yourself. Please don’t self-serve.

session – n. an occasion of playing footbag, either alone (solo) or in a circle.

set – n. to set the footbag aloft from a contact.

shred – 1. n. slang for freestyle. 2. v. to play intensely.

simple – 1. adj. a move or set involving dex(es) with only one leg. Compound is when dexing with both legs.

slop – n. a move ruined by improperly executed components, such as unintentional contact, severe imbalance or missed dexes. Different degrees of slop exist. For example, nicking your ear on a Duck is ok, but Spinning and hitting the footbag with your shoulder but playing out of it is sloppy. When you slop, you should generally pass, or continue your run and redo the move with better form.

Stall – n. a type of contact where you catch the footbag instead of kicking it.

stance – n. the natural tendency of favoring one foot (Bigfoot) or one side (Sideways). Some players are naturally better with their right or left foot, while others are more inclined to the right or left side. For a more thorough explanation, see the Stance page.

T

Trap – n. the act of catching or "trapping" the footbag between surfaces.

Transfer – n. the act of transferring the footbag from one contact to another (Contact Transfer), one location to another (Location Transfer), or one body position to another (Body transfer), without the footbag getting airborne.

U

Uptime/Midtime/Downtime – adj. describing the timing of a move or component. Uptime means it is done with the set (on the ascent), Midtime at its peak, and Downtime on the footbag's descent.

W

window – n. the space that creates a dex. For example, a tight window means your dex is small or tight, and an open window means your dex is big or loose.

Z

zoom – n. a term for Spinning off Osis.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Re: Freestyle Footbag Glossary from (now defunct) Flipsider.

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 21 Jun 2015 18:42

Regulate is such a great term. Nice post, Allan.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 21 Jun 2015 19:28

I'm so sad that the Practice Room + Massive sections can't be accessed with the web crawler =(
Matt Kemmer

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 21 Jun 2015 22:25

Is regulating a bad manner? I wouldn't do that unless the person asked me to.
I hate bad form and I'm a hypocrite.

Vojta

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 22 Jun 2015 11:00

Add Block wrote:Is regulating a bad manner? I wouldn't do that unless the person asked me to.
It depends on the company / how you want to appear. I'd equate it to how you joke around with your close friends vs. new acquaintances. Jokingly insult your best friends? Usually not a problem. Jokingly insult someone you just met? Probably going to get taken the wrong way.

I also think it's fairly common for people to ask before they try something similar to what the last person tried, but I know personally I find it unnecessary (I just like to see people do cool shit, and it's even better if I can help inspire them).
Matt Kemmer

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 22 Jun 2015 17:40

Yeah, I agree with Matt. Matt, Hogan, and I had a session in Boston once, and there was a lot of Regulating going on. One of the funnest sessions I've ever had, might I add.

Bob Reifer would constantly regulate me when I used to kick with him and then he'd kind of chuckle and toss me the bag. All in good fun.

I do think regulating in a circle at a jam with new/old faces would be sort of in bad taste.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman