footbag.org forum

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.

best forum?

modified.ca
78%
flipsider.com
4%
footbags.net
6%
footbag.org
12%

Total votes: 68

Muffinman
the gimp

footbag.org forum

Post by Muffinman » 22 Sep 2003 14:49

whats your take?
im personally too scared of steve and allan to even consider posting there @______@ modified is THE footbag forum. period ;) footbags.net is pretty cool too though. ive been visiting there frequently of late.

im going to make a poll!!!

EDIT: no offence meant. i like steve and allan both lots. theyre super great guys!!

Chris Holden
Dolla Llama

Post by Chris Holden » 22 Sep 2003 15:03

well, any forum that starts with the Paradox Debate isn't something I'm excited about. ;)
I guess it's cool, I'll stick with modified cause it's the most established forum. And like Chan said, goldy and hags rockin the join means some wicked moderation will be going down. :þ

Tha Big D
BSOS Beast

Post by Tha Big D » 22 Sep 2003 20:23

I still like modified best but I like the usefull information that is coming out of footbag.org

Not saying that there isn't any usefull info on modified, but there will be things that modified hasn't even touched on footbag.org

As far as footbags.net goes, I haven't even been there yet so I can't make any judgements.

No, I'm just not going to mention flipsider....

Damn!
Derek Vandall

"We are made up of two contrasting ideals - Love and Fear.
Pick One and Live."
-GnR

hacksterbator
Washed-Up Child Star

Post by hacksterbator » 22 Sep 2003 20:39

i like modified the best, flipsider is ummmmm... boobies, the other 2 are okay, haven't been there too much though.
A.G.

Brian
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Brian » 22 Sep 2003 21:06

Last edited by Brian on 18 Dec 2004 19:04, edited 2 times in total.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 22 Sep 2003 23:05

Brian wrote:EDIT#1:

Ohhhhhh I like how footbag.org uses actual given names. I always hate apathetically talking to super jester dude or whatever for 3 months then finding out it's ryan mulroony or something.

yeah. thats the best part :)

Rieferman
Flower Child

Post by Rieferman » 23 Sep 2003 05:26

I vote modified. For community feel and relaxed atmosphere. Other than replies, I'll post all my new threads here. I'm done with posting vids in 20 places too. Here is my home. I choose modified. Well.. for events that I host I'll post everywhere but otherwise, here.

Footbag.org as mentioned will have useful info and will cover some areas not discussed here, but I agree that many worthy posters will be scared off by Steve and Allan - no offense to those two, it's just that there's a tendency for them to monopolize conversations and be somewhat "know it all" sounding in their posts. Again, no offense, this is just what many readers will see/feel especially if they don't know Steve and Allan. I know Steve well and know he's a brat (hence his screen name) so it doesn't really bother me... But then again, I re-think every post 10 million times when I know he's going to be replying with some digging comment.. You know what I mean. Also, you can't edit... What if you change your mind? You have your comments out in cyber space for all of eternity then? That sucks. Real names rocks.

Flipsider got too much traffic too soon in my opinion so it was somewhat tainted by ccommercialization. The feel was not community-ish. A worthy try and I don't knock it, it's just not comfortable for me.

That other one... haven't read it yet, but I'll check it out soon.
Bob R.

1up
Circle Kicker

Post by 1up » 23 Sep 2003 08:17

Modified fully, I think EVERYONE should just put there real name in the signature. A la what I did. :P
-Jordan Thompson

qphox
Bullshit Detector

Post by qphox » 23 Sep 2003 10:50

I'll be the first to say that I started at Flipsider.com, and I was pretty stocked when the forum came online. It was pretty much routine to visit the forum everyday. However, flame wars were rampant, nearing the brink of breaking out into full-blown HOLY wars. After I dropped down to Calgary for the Shred Zero Open, The Calgarians convinced me to check out Modified.

Turns out Modified beats out Flipsider on multiple levels. :)

Footbag.org...I'm with everyone else on that one that I'm kinda afraid to go there due to intense moderation.

Also, I found it interesting that given this post by Allan, that he would turn around and create a forum of his own with Steve.

Maybe it's a good idea, given that that forum is where alot of the technical discussion will go down, and that's the kind of thing that would reflect best the "History of Footbag". :?

Note: That thread is interesting to look at now, looking at my attitude towards Sam at present. :)
- Kevin R.

F = G*((m1*m2)/r^2)

Know thy enemy.

pillar
Shredaholic

Post by pillar » 23 Sep 2003 15:08

Personally I've been trying to read both modified and flipsider, but it is taking a lot of time. Now that footbag.org has it's own I am hoping a lot of the conversation will come there. I really like the idea of knowing who is posting what. I also think people are making too big of a deal about moderation which I don't think will be that big of an issue. Not as big as it was with freestyle e-mail list. It will atleast be the one with the information you really need. I'm getting tired of too many nonsense threads.

Juha Linnanen

ps. Having it's own section for the European Scene is a definite plus too :)

Panda Licker
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Panda Licker » 23 Sep 2003 15:13

Look at my signature. thats right. following the crowd baby :wink:
-Angelo Oliveria

Chris Holden
Dolla Llama

Post by Chris Holden » 23 Sep 2003 15:21

I'm interested to see what comes out of the footbag dot org forums. Right now it appears to be thread post > steve & allan fight back and forth about the correct answer or how the original poster mispelled something. Those guys spam harder than footbagbum!
But, we can't judge them so quickly, I'm certain those forums will get a LOT of members, and after a while, they won't be able to keep up with all the posts. That's when it'll get fun, and Sam, it's your duty to make silly pointless posts as you've done here so well.

As always, I love you all, and Rob is the best. 'u'

Rieferman
Flower Child

Post by Rieferman » 23 Sep 2003 16:16

Right now it appears to be thread post > steve & allan fight back and forth about the correct answer or how the original poster mispelled something. Those guys spam harder than footbagbum!
Perhaps the funniest true thing I've read in awhile. What is up with that anyways? I hope you're right that after awhile the volume will make it a true "forum" instead of its current "ask these 2 people" type of environment.
Bob R.

ShredStylez
Republican

Post by ShredStylez » 23 Sep 2003 18:09

i don't wanna sound harsh or anything but i like modified best primarily more then flipsider becasue there aren't nearly as many noobs. I like to have advanced convos rather than always giving advice to people. And i hate bragging over little tricks when that all you hear.
There is always a bigger trick.

Go watch a vid. of Dylan Fry.

-Mark "The Force" Schwartz

Johnny
Post Master General

Post by Johnny » 23 Sep 2003 18:49

Everyone was a noob once. Well maybe not Vasek.. but...
Johnny Suderman

brian relly
fan-tas-tic

Post by brian relly » 23 Sep 2003 19:14

what' with the footbag.org having the exact same layout and even some of the same forum names as Modified?
esteban barnez
myspace.com/rawcakes
david wrote:I was just sitting here surfing and my mom looks over my shoulder. I had to jab down the down key real quick so she wouldn't see that topic title and question me about what kind of site I was going on.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 23 Sep 2003 20:17

Chris Holden wrote:Those guys spam harder than footbagbum!
hahaha

FootbagginBum
Flower Child

Post by FootbagginBum » 23 Sep 2003 21:21

:x :x

Man, having the forum on .org just makes so much more sense, its all official...and that what we need...but here is home, and theres enough back information that we can give links rather than having to answer every question fresh...

I don't have time for both, but because of that will prolly end up reading the highlights of both and missing out a bunch.

Multiple forums suck!! Get them to put our archive there and add names and it'll be perfect.

EDIT: maybe the moderation will be good...maybe it could be the serious forum I've been talking about forever...
"Be the change you wish to see in the world" - Gandhi

NotHisRealName
Post Master General

Post by NotHisRealName » 24 Sep 2003 01:56

I've been offline for a while, and I gotta say, coming back here is like coming home.
Modified all the way.
Comment in the BCS blog if you feel the need to.

Gareth Williams

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 24 Sep 2003 22:25

I will give some more time to footbag.org/forum before making a final decision, but so far I still feel like modified is the best.

Some facts about footbag.org/forum:

1. No edit button on posts.
2. No private messaging.
3. About 1/5 posts are written by Steve Goldberg.
4. About 1/10 posts are written by Allan Haggett.
5. You can do the math yourself, but that means that nearly 1/3 of posts on footbag.org/forum are written by 2 people.

The 3 best things going for .org/forum are

1. You see everybody`s name, no anonymity.
2. The internet address is easy to find/remember/teach to people, and newbies who find .org directly find the forum.
3. It is stable, and will be archived forever. Flipsider forums had a blackout period over the summer, and modified was blacked out for a bit last year too, so its kinda nice knowing that will never happen with dot.org.

As of now, the main problem I have with .org is that some threads look like this:

Randomfootbagposter: blah blah blah.

Steve Goldberg: blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah. I get no respect! blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.

Randomotherguy: blah blah blah?

Steve Goldberg: blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah. Why dont other people get off their asses and help? blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.

KenSomolinos: Uh.....Beavis?

Steve Goldberg: blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah. You are SOOOOO wrong! blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah. I know everything! blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.

AhrenGehrman: Uhhh.....butthead?

Steve Goldberg: blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.blah blah blah.

You get the point. I mean, Steve and Allan are 2 handsome fellows and all, but I`ve seen their faces way WAAAAY too many times over there.