Do you think you'll ever be in B.A.P?

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.

Do you think you'll ever be in the BAP?

Yes
33%
I'm already in it.
33%
I'm already in it.
33%
I'm already in it.
No votes

Total votes: 3

Splint
Angry Hippy

Post by Splint » 08 Mar 2004 19:33

ABSOLUTELY!!!

Hell, I'm only 29, been freestyling for 8 years, suffered shin splints for the last 5, survived lower back surgery a year ago (probably brought on in part by footbag), and have consistently seen my consistancy decline in all ways possible.

If I can manage to contract a rare blood disease, get amnesia, AND lose a leg in a turbine accident yet still continue to freestyle THEN... MAYBE THEN I will get a sympathy induction as the most pitiful freestyler to ever kick a footbag.
Old Skool

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 08 Mar 2004 19:41

I voted No. Because it will never be my goal. In life I never aim to be the best, I am to be the best I can be. And I dislike fame. Also I know life will get in the way upon graduation and there would be absolutely no way for me to commit enough time to really keep up with the progression. Right now I'm just working hard to be able to flow and have fun.
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

joplick
Shredaholic

Post by joplick » 09 Mar 2004 09:08

i think i will eventually get there. i am such a perfectionist, it takes longer to learn moves to my liking, but it pays off. so in the end, i think i will be good.
~Jared Wilbur~

Women are like a fine wine... they get better with age.

[life is]"A cycle of hollow joy and vicious self-hatred."
Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 30 Jan 2012 12:06

*Epic bump*

Curious to see what people on the forums 8 years later think. Most people who posted in this thread no longer post on modified, but I think it's an interesting question for this new generation of modified.

Jazzkid
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Jazzkid » 30 Jan 2012 14:55

I honestly hope that one day I would be considered for this ...but honestly I have only been to one comp ever ...and I feel that I would have to go to at least three in a year and place high at all three while demonstrating upper level circle shred around the bap members ....I know some people don't care about this and some do , but honestly it would make me feel good just to be included with the other players that push our sport and be considered one of them .... I have to get a different job before u could even start to be involved in the comp scene as much as I should . No matter what I will continue to push my game and the sport as much as I possible can as long as I possibly can . Even if I never got in ...If I inspired a player to push their game to become one of the best that would be rewarding also.... When players tell me they hit swirling vortex because of me or tried to duck a swirling spinning set....it makes me proud, happy and inspires me at the same time ....maybe one day a player will hit swirling vortex> swirling möbius b2b and even might have been inspired by or indirectly through me....that day I will truly feel honored even if only that player and me know about it....

Bap members to me means the elite group that is constantly pushing and yes this is a day dream of mine ...I never EVER understand when players tell me that they will never be as good as someone else or they could never be that good ....somebody has to have masterful skills and if we work for it might as well be us. ....but its always about the invite....unless u beat a bap member in horse then I think you actually take I've thier spot for the day, so if any bap member wants ( on a their bad day ;) to play me in horse online lets do it !
SHRED HARD!

Nathan
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Nathan » 30 Jan 2012 21:43

I never replied to the thread back in the day, but I think back then I was planning to make BAP one day.

Now, I can definitively say I never will. Don't have the interest or the injury-free body to put in the required effort. Oh well!

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 30 Jan 2012 22:12

When I started to go Tiltless, I always thought being BAP would be so cool... Then when I started to go Guiltless, I even saw it coming closer than before and I actually put a lot of time into training and trying to get closer to BAP level... Then I stupidly tried to skip steps and messed with too much Fearless... Now I have a minor shinjury in my weak leg. I plan on nursing it back to health and once I do, I plan on training smart this time, hitting my tricks with low effort, fully absorbed impact, and proper form. However, I don't know if I'll ever be invited into BAP, but from judging on the progress I've made in the past year, I feel that I may gradually work my way up to NEAR BAP/BAP level... If I make BAP.. Cool, I'm not going to refuse it and I'll be a pretty happy mofo, because I'm not gonna lie... I'ts a dream of mine.. If I don't... whatever. I have a great time playing footbag and trying to promote it and share the passion and that's good enough for me.

I honestly just want to keep Jon Scheider's unorthadox style alive and take it into the future of footbag with bigger concepts and more difficulty. He did so much for footbag in my eyes and I want to help him carry on his weirdness. Jon, You're the man and you'll always be the man to me.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 31 Jan 2012 06:26

nah. maybe if i wasn't super injury prone and had no other priorities but I still don't really care. Would rather just be good for myself rather then being "BAP" level.
Kevin Hogan

BSC

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 01 Feb 2012 13:59

Being from the old school, making BAP is and has always been a huge deal and goal of mine. I have always wanted to be the best in this sport. Not just good for me, but the best.
I can say with a resounding NO that I will never be in BAP. For many years this did feel like the end of the world and it has been hard to cope with that fact. I can't even be around the BAP ceremony at World's events, it's just too hard.
While I continue to get better and still improve I only barely keep up with the top level of this sport. While BAP members push it. Although, I do get a little satisfaction any time I beat BAP members in competition, which I have done quite a bit.
I've always been close, but will never be good enough.
Justin Dale
Videos

sidekick
Egyptian Footgod

Post by sidekick » 08 Feb 2012 14:57

Well, Justin, since the time I have known you, you have gotten so much more controlled with your game and with your trick selection. I would say you are BAP worthy, and you have my vote

I was playing with Red and Noah Jey-Bonn about 4 years ago when I first heard of BAP. Ever since then it was a goal of mine to get to that level of skill and discipline.

Now that I am in BAP, however, I realize there are even levels of skill within BAP. One day I hope to surpass my current limitations and bring my body and mind to Super BAP, or BAP level 2, or whatever level of ascension it takes to hit the stuff Honza and David and Jim and Jordan and Air and Milan and Ansi (etc) hit when they pick up a bag.
Nick Landes

Proudly Representing Fourkast Footbag Co.
http://www.fourkast.com

Portland Blog

All the ladies love Matt Cross because Johnny Depp + Footbag = Matt Cross

Mastery is the combination of knowledge and practical experience

Max Power
Fearless

Post by Max Power » 09 Feb 2012 14:54

I think super bap would be an awesome idea, but it seems like you need to be near that level to even make bap these days. Any thoughts on creating the new more exclusive club? I think it would push people who are already bap harder.
Drew Martin

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 09 Feb 2012 16:50

Drew brings up a good point.

I feel like you have to be able to hit Nemesis b2b nowadays to be in BAP. Ever since Dave got BAPtized, the level was raised to much. BAP seems to be kind of weird to me... Justin, I've never kicked with you, but even from back 5 or 6 years ago when I first saw Natural Born Kickers, I remember your segment and I remember thinking you were just as good as a lot of those guys. I really think you should have been BAP'ed.. Just my personal opinion. Same with Johnny. That still aggravates me that he was never BAP'ed.

To me, present day BAP players look at the induction of a new BAP player as something like "This person can bust 20 fearless, let's BAP them"... I really feel like BAP shouldn't be based upon hitting huge shit and it should be based more on having good style and consistency. A style that this person claimed. I don't know if anyone is going to understand what I'm about to say, but here it goes.. When I see a good player hitting long flowy strings with some big tricks, their style seems to take on almost a tactile shape in my head. I can't really explain the shape, but every stylish BAP player and even some non-BAP players have them. Peter definitely has a shape in my head. So does Nick Landes, Lon, Ken, Johnny, Bevier, Monistere, Schneider, Clavens, and many others.

All in all, I think BAP should be kinda like that. Even if you've never gone to worlds, if your style can take on a shape in someone's mind, and you're very consistent, you should be BAP'ed. Maybe being able to hit 10 unique Fearless would be a good way to decipher BAP players too. Our sport is so small, globally, that it shouldn't really matter who they let into BAP.

These are only my thoughts on this. Point is, envelope has been pushed so high that if we BAP based on how much better every player is after the previous BAP'ed player, we're not going to get anywhere.

Well, I also just remembered that Vasek was BAP'ed in '02... so nothing I just wrote was of any meaning, but I don't feel like deleting any of it. Maybe there are a few good points in there somewhere. Maybe not. Sift around?
Nick Polini

Funblog

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 05 Mar 2012 11:50

hah, I just logged in randomly today for the first time in a long time and saw this post. I recognize all the names on the first page, it brings back so many memories of msn chatting with them all talking about our progress.

Re-reading my post I feel like my tone was sorta weird but I still agree with what I said, it's never been a goal of mine. I feel like I still got to make a bit of a splash in the footbag world even without aiming for BAP.

I wonder how many other subcultures have similar clubs of the most elite achievers?
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Post by Anz » 05 Mar 2012 12:04

People (mostly Americans) still can't spell my first name right, so I can't say if BAP has changed anything.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 05 Mar 2012 14:15

At least people don't call you "hair" in Finnish. :wink:

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 06 Mar 2012 23:08

I will definitely be making BAP this year.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Allan

Post by Allan » 07 Mar 2012 01:22

People (mostly Americans) still can't spell.

Dio
BSOS Beast

Post by Dio » 26 Mar 2012 20:17

Haha awesome poll

In my opinion, BAP is all about the legacy.

I hope I'll be invited if there's nobody left before me to be invited. I don't think about personal recognition so much. I think BAP represents a cornerstone of the sport - a symbol of our dedication to footbag!

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Re: Do you think you'll ever be in B.A.P?

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 23 Dec 2013 01:46

Just looking through old posts and found this one.. I've been thinking a lot about BAP lately, since my game has been at an all time high and it's only been a few months since I was hyper-inspired by Worlds '13.

The level is so high right now, it's kind of crazy. And these new players keep popping up out of nowhere from Poland and Czech Republic who have been playing for only a few years and are leaps and bounds better than me, which makes me think I have no chance. But I've always been a fighter. So I'm going to keep training hard and maybe I'll make it in at World's '14, or maybe '15. Either way, I think it will be really interesting to see if I can make it or not.

When Pipenberg didn't get offered BAP, it changed my opinion on it a little. I could have sworn Nate was going to get BAP this year. He beat Jindra in semi-finals... Gimme a break. Anyway, to sum it up... I still want BAP pretty badly. I know if I keep staying dedicated, I can achieve it.
Nick Polini

Funblog

boyle
Post Master General

Re: Do you think you'll ever be in B.A.P?

Post by boyle » 23 Dec 2013 07:40

BAP is not only about performance at one competition though. It's more of an overall thing, I guess. Some of the time when people have gone into BAP they may not even have competed at the particular tournament. If you keep improving at your current rate, why not. If I was you I would really start to train for "performances", doing routines, shows in public, so that when you're in the pressure situation, at, say, Worlds, it's just a comfortable sort of thing.

As for me, I don't think I will be in BAP. Not that it is a particular concern of mine.