My Progress on a New Footbag Resource

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
Spadrick
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

My Progress on a New Footbag Resource

Post by Spadrick » 27 Apr 2004 21:58

Hey People;

A while back I started organizing and designing a footbag resource for everyone to utilize and add to, kinda like a footbag community like this one, but with more depth and less chitta-chatta.

I lost interest cause I had no way of showing people and getting feedback, but now I have a great host that I can post the stuff on. I have worked on three different versions of FOOTBAG FAQ, and all three are online. I would like to let you know that none of them are complete, version one is missing some main pages, but still has lots of content, version two is just a front page, and version three has lots of stuff, but is just an updated version of version two.

I know they aren't complete yet, and the functionality is slim, but im almost out of ideas. Thats where you come in. Imagine the best footbag resource, and pick out the high and low points and give me some inspiration or feedback. It is possible to get this site up and running with a lil help from some friends!

Here are the links;

Version 1: http://www.hack-bfa.com/outsourced/Footbag%20FAQ/V1.0/

Version 2: http://www.hack-bfa.com/outsourced/Foot ... index.html

Version 3: http://www.hack-bfa.com/outsourced/Foot ... /home.html

The critique is good, and I enjoy both good and bad, but what I am really looking for here is what you as a shredder would like to see in an online footbag community. What features on a site would interest you and keep you coming back? What would make this a great beginners site as well? Keep the info flowing and im sure it will pay off in the end.

Regards
~Dex

*ALL THE EDITS* were getting the links to work... sorry
Adam Dexter

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 27 Apr 2004 23:39

wow!!!
awesome!!! i would love to help out with something like this, if you need or want help. ive always wanted to do something like this too, but i dont have the know-how in computers and STUFF!
i like the layout of the first best i think. its a lot more black and white if you know what i mean. its clear that there are these different sections for different things and its easy to find what youre looking for. it also kind of melts into the modified forum scheme >:)

King Monkey
Post Master General

Post by King Monkey » 28 Apr 2004 01:31

wow dude that is extremely impressive! everything is so clean and crisp and well contrasted. This is a very good idea... though i wouldnt expect certain other website maintainers to be too impressed...

yeh the first one is probably the best looking, but i also love the banner image of the three ppl and a bag, that looks really sweet

super good work bro, hope it all comes to life! sorry i havent much to add at this point..
Ian Pritchard - http://www.ausfootbag.org

'People, just play Footbag and stop being dickheads!' - Michał Biarda

sNale
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by sNale » 28 Apr 2004 01:59

Hi such a resource would be really helpful! Imagine all the knowlege collected here at modified sorted and good to read all on one website.
Keep up the great work!

Max
Max Jaeger
munich-footbag.de

Du bist Footbag!

Post by Guest » 28 Apr 2004 03:22

Hey, I remember that "I have something up my sleeve!" thread. Is this it?

They look really cool, and really helpful. I like the second one the best. The first one looks the best, but each button seems really big. Like if you got a lot of articles, it could get messy.

Good Luck :)

Spadrick
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Spadrick » 06 May 2004 15:47

Yeah, this is what came of that 'Something up my sleeve' thread.

Any thoughts? Can anyone devote time and effort into this project?

Here is what needs to be done;
- Serverside Code for organizing members, clubs, articles, movies and pics.
- Data Entry for move descriptions and move assistance, also data entry for existing articles about footbag.
- Marketing and Resource Management for contacting current footbag resources and offering linkage and information display on this site, in return for valuable resources.

I am deadly serious about this resource, and I hoped that it would generate more of an uproar from the masses of Modified viewers. The beauty of this development would be obvious if you have a peek at the layouts and see the content that would be available.

I doubt that the only footbagger that does serverside code is Mr. Goldberg, there has to be others that could put their two-cents in.

There would be positions that need to be filled, admins, moderators, researchers, liasons for networking with other footbag orgs, etc.

This website provides infinite posibilities for the advancement of the footbag community. Im not begging for you to help me, im begging for you to help everyone in this community, to help yourself.

Come on people, pull together for a cause, I would cry if I saw hundreds of footbaggers using their time and skill for a common goal!

~ Dex
:!: :!:
Adam Dexter

jon
Foosebag God

Post by jon » 06 May 2004 16:05

I could help out if you wish, I am kinda busy this summer with a full time job and three courses and making a site for my proffs thesis students but if there are some smaller things you need done or just have questions feel free to msn or pm me about it. I may be coming down to brantford some time soon so you could let me know in person then.
Jon's FootBlog
MSN: jon.haber@gmail.com
"It was clean enough to be thin..." - Andrew W.

sampotter
the boy who lived

Post by sampotter » 06 May 2004 16:32

I think the second one looks by far the best... The first one is a little too clunky, and the third is a little too much. The second combines both slickness and an element of professionalism.

What I think would be tremendous is if people could combine modified and that project if it got off the ground... It could be the new footbag.org. Run by the new generation for the new generation. I'd love to do something for it, but I doubt I'd be of much use. :\ Keep a list of jobs updated, though!

Spadrick
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Spadrick » 06 May 2004 17:12

Will do. I am making a development page in the 'Projects' module on the .Hack// Home page. It should be up and running sometime this week. A new design might be in order... We will see.

( And it doesnt matter if you cant work computer magic. You can post flyers right? You can spread the word and gather more footbaggers to the site, promotion and expansion is key! )
Adam Dexter

sampotter
the boy who lived

Post by sampotter » 06 May 2004 17:25

Well, I can probably work more computer magic than a fair amount of people on here (teaching myself Java, I know HTML, and bits of C, C++, and Basic), I have a website (http://www.djhex.com)... But I doubt I could hold a candle to your web design. So it's not a matter of working 'magic', but whether or not the magic is good enough. ;)

Johnny
Post Master General

Post by Johnny » 07 May 2004 13:52

You know I'm good for doing anything that I know how. If you think I can help in any way, I will, even though I don't know that much. :P
Johnny Suderman

The~Grim
Shredalicious

Post by The~Grim » 07 May 2004 15:33

like the lay out a lot and actually read a lot of the information from link 2.

good work

*Jethro*
Egyptian Footgod

Post by *Jethro* » 07 May 2004 17:14

excellent. Very informative
Hopefully back one day.

Jesse Malouf

Spadrick
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Spadrick » 25 May 2004 17:37

*BUMP*

This project is still under development. The next step in this process is to create a way to handle user entered databases. I am stuck on this and I cant do anything until the database structure is worked out.

Asking for help from anyone that can do solid database in their sleep...
8O
Adam Dexter

kaos
Fearless

Post by kaos » 25 May 2004 23:45

I am good with databases and server-side scripting. But unfortunately I am swamped with other projects at the moment (and will be for the next couple of months). But if you need advice or tips, or maybe just a push in the right direction (regarding the db and scripts), PM me and so we can exchange email addresses or something.

Sorry I can't offer any more help...
Kobus Brümmer

"On résiste à l'invasion des armées; on ne résiste pas à l'invasion des idées" - Victor Hugo

Flippin It
Shredaholic

Post by Flippin It » 26 May 2004 07:50

I don't know how, I could ever help..
Besides, givin' props, for the good work..

I really like, the second one.. By Far the Best..
It's clear, easy to read.. And has a great picture
on it....

If their is anything that non-skilled computer people
can do, please let me know.. I'll check back, to see...

Keep up the good work, I think this is a great idea..
J. Felix
~From the Circling Skies~

ericksonj
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by ericksonj » 26 May 2004 13:11

Props man this is a great resource! Keep up the great work.
Always Shreddin
James Erickson
Eugene Footbag Association (Orton, Nasty, Me)
w/ new additions (Casey, Alex, Eddie, and Shawnell)

Spadrick
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Spadrick » 01 Jun 2004 19:47

Kay, so I got someone to do database, does anyone want to collect information to put in the databases? Here are some topics that we are going to archive.

MOVES: Jobs, Description, Help, Video, Nicknames
CLUBS: Location, Members, Description, Contact
VIDEOS: Moves, Clips
ARTICLES: Publications, Information
PHOTOS: Shred, Misc
RULES: IFPA, House Rules, Misc
GLOSSARY: Terms, Slang

All I have to say is; BE A PACK RAT! Collect all things footbag for this resource over the next 2 months.

It would help greatly, and everyone can do it.
Adam Dexter

King Monkey
Post Master General

Post by King Monkey » 02 Jun 2004 05:48

alot of the material you are asking for might need to be original, mighten it? unless you are only going to link to the material? because like i could just go and grab all the pics from say,footbag.cz and put em on ur site, but footbag.cz is not likely to be very happy about that...
Ian Pritchard - http://www.ausfootbag.org

'People, just play Footbag and stop being dickheads!' - Michał Biarda

Spadrick
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Spadrick » 02 Jun 2004 14:27

Yes, you are correct. I forgot to mention that about the pics. All pics would need to be original or gathered with permission. Open source pics dont need permission, of course.

There is a thread in General that is a sticky, regarding move nicknames and the actual move. This is the kind of material we need to archive for this resource. You can always ask a moderator of a site to use the picture for archival purposes, the worst that can happen is that they say no.

Keep the pics in a folder on your HD and when the site is going to go live, zip it and send it in.

There is much more to this then just pictures tho.
:)
Adam Dexter