Who's style most influenced yours

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
Omen
Shredalicious

Who's style most influenced yours

Post by Omen » 05 Nov 2004 02:14

So a question for all, who's freestyle footbag style most influenced yours? Was it one of the first kickers you saw or did you first develope a sense of the game and choose who you wanted to "take after" in a way ("Take after" meaning to base around then develope it into your own).

For me it was Ricky Moran, pretty much the first major kicker I ever saw, I love spins, high pixies, ducks and dives and I believe its because of Ricky's influence early on like that.

You get what I am saying?

So who was your influence(s)?
Its all or nothing

Damien Schlobohm

max
Australofrenchbrityorkus

Post by max » 05 Nov 2004 02:45

Lon smith

although you'd have to be blind to see any kind of ressemblence in our games.

But before I could even clipper stall, I remember seeing ducks/dives and pixie runs and thought that that was the epitome of footbag coolness!
Maxime Boucoiran
French ConneXion
BFC

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 05 Nov 2004 02:52

Ryan Mulroney and Lynton Stephens.

The first footbag I saw was Ryan's 2001 worlds routine. The bit that impressed me the most was his little shuffle combos in time with the music. (you'll know what I mean if you've watched it) - I guess that's what I always wanted to be able to do.

Lynton was one of the first people I kicked with and blew me away completely - I think a lot of my game comes from watching him play - although I don't know if our styles are that similar - we are both good at big toe moves though.

sampotter
the boy who lived

Post by sampotter » 05 Nov 2004 06:24

Lots of people have influenced my game, style-wise...

Justin Dale, first and foremost, for teaching me so much.

Other players that have shown me a lot of intrinsic aspects of tricks (mainly through watching them play on video):

Ricky Moran (not video)
Noah Jay-Bonn
Brad Nelsons
Lon Smith
Felix Zenger
Allan Hagget
Dylan Fry

Fuego
Shredalicious

Post by Fuego » 05 Nov 2004 07:55

Alex Faber
He taught me to love my osis.
Andrew Coleman
SOUF4ever

FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 05 Nov 2004 08:28

Last edited by FlexThis on 13 Jul 2005 09:50, edited 1 time in total.
Go out and shred already.
~Damon Mathews

Flipsider
BSOS Beast

Post by Flipsider » 05 Nov 2004 09:32

The videos: "Raw Shred", "96 Shred", and "97 Shred".

In particular: Ahren Gehrman, Tuan Vu, Rippin', Kenny Shults, Tim Kelly, and Peter Irish.

Y'all know there weren't internet videos back then, right? Times have really changed. I hope you all appreciate what you have.
Ellis Piltz
Flipsider, The New.

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 05 Nov 2004 09:32

Matt Cross - creativity and pony tail
Johnny Superman - toit dexes
Ryan Mulroney - his bounce
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Post by Tsiangkun » 05 Nov 2004 10:39

paul munger, tim kelley, eric wulffe

shreddaily
Flower Child

Post by shreddaily » 05 Nov 2004 10:45

I'd like to say Peter and Ahren from agressive grounds, but it doesn't show, yet.

L smith all the way.

Laroche
Footbagger.

Post by Laroche » 05 Nov 2004 11:27

I have alot of Seb D. in me. apparently sometimes if you saw a silouhette of me and seb doing merkon you wouldn't know who was who. Yax helped quite a bit too, but I know that my style is nothing like his. Eli with gyro moves.
Nicholas Laroche

brian relly
fan-tas-tic

Post by brian relly » 05 Nov 2004 14:58

Vasek. He's pretty much all I watch.

I've been told since I started playing (back when I'd just heard his name, and had no idea who he was) that I have "Vasek Legs". That's a good thing, I think.
esteban barnez
myspace.com/rawcakes
david wrote:I was just sitting here surfing and my mom looks over my shoulder. I had to jab down the down key real quick so she wouldn't see that topic title and question me about what kind of site I was going on.

shaggster
Orange Julius

Post by shaggster » 05 Nov 2004 15:10

the first video i ever saw was jared raab's, so i think he was my influence
Dick Butkis

Krafty
Fearless

Post by Krafty » 05 Nov 2004 16:00

I have to agree with Stephen. Vasek's flawless style was the most influential for me! He's just freakin' amazing!
Kaushik Amancherla

hacksterbator
Washed-Up Child Star

Post by hacksterbator » 05 Nov 2004 20:00

i've really been basing my game around yves kreil and his shuffle. he blew my mind when i was in berlin, and then i kind of decided i wanted to be a shuffler. recently i have been watching alot of lon and he inspired my recent blender thing i got going on. yeah, probably those 2. erik and derek, as much as they taught me, they didn't really inspire my style. they are all spinny and ducky and whirly, and i'm not.
A.G.

Liam
Multidex Master

Post by Liam » 05 Nov 2004 20:38

I'd have to say Floyd Morgan, Allan Hagget, Chad D, Lon and Ahren. My style seems to continually change, even after 3 and a half years in the sport, so I'm sure I'd be able to keep adding to this list as the months go on (I shan't).
Liam Johnston

Palmy rules still apply

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 05 Nov 2004 21:29

I can't really think of someone who I have a similar style to -- I think that's easier for someone other than yourself to spot. My game has been most influenced by Ricky Moran, probably. I saw him bust in the Seattle videos and I just HAD to start spinning. Spinning is now my favourite concept -- I used to be all about the shuffle, nobody in particular really inspired me to shuffle, though, that was simply how I picked up the game -- I was very aggressive. I've always watched and admired how smooth Lon plays, but when I saw those videos of Ricky I was just mesmerized -- I never really felt that footbag could be as FUN as he made it look. Spinning feels GREAT!!!

James Risden was always my hero in footbag, though. From the first time he started "bragging" on the FIRST footbag forum and his first posts on the freestyle list. Watching him was always the most inspirational and I would listen to the music in his shred videos in the background while I played in my grandma's kitchen and pretend I was him and moving just the way he was moving. Then he fell off the face of the Earth and at the one tournament we were finally going to hook up at I couldn't find a bus that would make it on time.

To sum up: Ricky Moran and James Risden

EDIT: There's also the fact that when I met Ricky he was playing tiltless and a few months later Sam Colclough told me he was busting superduper fly both sides...Hearing about someone's progression like that is really inspirational. It made me realize that I could do ANYTHING and that I could be that good REALLY soon if I just skooled my ass off....And then I got injured.

Zeke
Specific Islander

Post by Zeke » 05 Nov 2004 22:09

Eric Wulf
Zeke

Funny movie titles if the movie were about poop:
Red
Fast & the Furious
The Green Mile
Children of the Corn
There Will be Blood

King Monkey
Post Master General

Post by King Monkey » 06 Nov 2004 00:34

man i dont know about this one, i havent really thought about it. i think if i said my style was influenced by anyone, that person would be insulted :D
sometimes when i do stepping moves and really emphasise having a straight back and not leaning over the bag, i feel like Ales. but thats rare :?
i guess Ales for some things like trying to do my DLOs a bit higher in the air and making the dexes slicier

oh shit i nearly forgot! Dan Ednie for sure! he has probably had the biggest influence though my style is no where near as cool as his. damn im glad i just thought of that
I try (big emphasis on TRY) to play casually like him, find a rhythm if i can, and be smooth. i can do this a bit when i go just tiltless to fool around, but guiltless makes me messy as.
Ian Pritchard - http://www.ausfootbag.org

'People, just play Footbag and stop being dickheads!' - Michał Biarda

JFootbagger
Fearless

Post by JFootbagger » 06 Nov 2004 08:23

I really like Chris Pinkus's Toe stuff!
Sunil's style is crazy!
Mike Anello's style is awesome (and he makes good vids.)

Ahh...just soo many shredders out there to idolize :roll:
Jordan Wong
basics=tricks=strings=people dropping their jaw in amazement
-Footblog! Check it out!
Enter My Mind