How not to shred?

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
jon
Foosebag God

How not to shred?

Post by jon » 07 Dec 2004 13:10

I was wondering what you guys and gals do when u cant shred but really have the urge to. Whether this be caused by lack of places to play or injury how do u deal with not being able to shred. I wanna play so much right now and watching lots and lots of footbag videos is not helping :p any ideas?
Jon's FootBlog
MSN: jon.haber@gmail.com
"It was clean enough to be thin..." - Andrew W.

Posi-Cole
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Posi-Cole » 07 Dec 2004 13:14

It's not the same as playing ...

But to perhaps quench your thirst for footbag related things you could try stuff that will improve your footbag game without actually playing.

Ex. air dexing, stretching, mental footbag (ie. think about certain moves and why you haven't been able to hit them and what could be done better in order to hit certain things)

Hmm, I can't think of any others. There must be other things that will improve footbag skills that don't actually involve playing footbag... Help me out here folks!
Cole Hobson

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 07 Dec 2004 13:14

I would think watching videos wouldn't help. Everytime I watch a video I end up wanting to play and fortuneatly that hasn't been a problem for me so far. What exactly is keeping you from playing?

Posi-Cole
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Posi-Cole » 07 Dec 2004 13:16

BainbridgeShred wrote:I would think watching videos wouldn't help. Everytime I watch a video I end up wanting to play and fortuneatly that hasn't been a problem for me so far. What exactly is keeping you from playing?
I would say this is probably the reason:
http://www.modified.ca/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=7524
Cole Hobson

full nelson
8-Bit Ninja

Post by full nelson » 07 Dec 2004 13:26

Learn to juggle.
Brad

zachatree
Happy Hippy Hoffa

Post by zachatree » 07 Dec 2004 13:36

ya juggle that be AWSOME or just balance stuff on ur good foot, i can take a broom like one with the long bottom, and blance it on my toe, i can even spin the broom and balance it at the same time, its a cool trick.

try mental footbag, i do that all day at school :P

Fu Xi
Hybrid

Post by Fu Xi » 07 Dec 2004 14:19

ragnarok... or any online rpg

that is if you want something non-footbag and addicting
Rob Johnson
Rob Fuller + Brian Johnson = Rob "Hybrid" Johnson

Its a long story, but they aren't my parents

blackcrown
Multidex Master

Post by blackcrown » 07 Dec 2004 15:03

I like to juggle when I can't shred. It gets both sides of your brain going.

Eric
Eric Palmer

quadgun
can't dex

Post by quadgun » 07 Dec 2004 16:49

full nelson wrote:Learn to juggle.
I heard that's what Vasek did.

Oh and me, I just sleep. :D

Omen
Shredalicious

Post by Omen » 07 Dec 2004 17:02

Yeah, Juggling is great when I have an urge to footbag but have no space or annoying pants on. You can improve on juggling faster than footbag as well, or for me at least.
Its all or nothing

Damien Schlobohm

Chris Hanratty
Mr. Jokey...Joke Maker

Post by Chris Hanratty » 07 Dec 2004 17:36

I'm currently injured, and I've been watching shred videos on my computer all day long. And of course watching CSI :).

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 07 Dec 2004 17:42

The answer is air-shredding.

peanutbuterboy
Fearless

Post by peanutbuterboy » 07 Dec 2004 20:18

Mental shred...o yeah...I just sit in my classes and my eyes glaze over and its all footbag. In chemistry my teacher (her name is Vashka) thinks its so cool when I did a pendulum becuase I said it was science like with the enertia thing so she lets me play in class now. But in Latin or sumthing its all in my head. Even at night I dream about this stuff.
Luke Andrews

ptaku
Egyptian Footgod

Post by ptaku » 08 Dec 2004 00:54

For me mental footbag doesn't work.. I always need badly to try out what I dreamed up... And this is very bad when I think about footbag befor go to bed. I can'f fall a sleep then for over half a night.

I had some very long break because of injury... I was reading all forums over the web, watching footbag videos for about 4-5 hours a day. It's painfull when you wan't to shred, and you just can't.

And it is good to find girlfriend when you're injured for long. When I'm healthy and can shred everytime I just haven't time for girls :wink:

The next thing that I do when I'm injured is reading about health etc. I always study anatomy of part of my body which is injured and then finding some good exercise for rehabilitation. And I do my own rehabilitation programme.

And when I'm healthy and just don't have place to shred (I'm always trying to shred in my room, I move furniture to have more place) I'm doing some strenght exercises, for my upper body. When I had hard strenght training I don't have lots of energy to shred... I did a ot of strenght trainings when recovery after my ankle injury and couldn't shred. OF course I was doing only exercises which doesn't weight ankle down.
Pawel Ptaszynski

"I know I can! Be what I wanna be.
If I work hard at it, I'll be where I wanna be."

NAS

Be strong, LIVESTRONG

http://www.laf.org
http://www.wearyellow.com

peanutbuterboy
Fearless

Post by peanutbuterboy » 08 Dec 2004 07:23

All of you guys are injured...ever since I started getting good I have been careful not to get hurt.
But anyways the mental footbag does it for me. Like right now I am in a computer class so I come here and just read and think about what I am gunna hit during lunch.
Luke Andrews

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 08 Dec 2004 07:28

use your vapo while watching the videos. use it a LOT. then you won't want to play, but you'll dig the vids ;)
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

jon
Foosebag God

Post by jon » 08 Dec 2004 08:24

vapo :P ya i have been watching more tv, hanging out with my gf more, so its not all bad. Plus all my finals are this week so I have more time to study.

plus my foot is feeling better everyday and doesnt hurt to put weight on it :)
Jon's FootBlog
MSN: jon.haber@gmail.com
"It was clean enough to be thin..." - Andrew W.

Hania
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Hania » 08 Dec 2004 08:29

for me it's impossible to not play footbag... :oops: and stupid thing is that, when I'm injured I want to shred even more than usualy...

sniikeri
Lauri Jii

Post by sniikeri » 08 Dec 2004 11:13

What a stupid question; I waste my time surfing here and posting useless posts like this. :wink:
No, I haven't been really injured during my "career" (prolly not the best word but...) and when I'm sick I'll definitely be back in the game in 2-3 days.

Juggling sounds interesting tho. You guys use your bags or do you have special juggling balls? Or just use everything you can spot when you turn your head 180 degrees, like Ming-vases from the 3rd dynasty and 42-inch plasma TVs? (or at least that's what I see).
Lauri Jaakkola

Tommy
The Green One

Post by Tommy » 08 Dec 2004 11:17

ya man, i have a similar problem. since its really cold outside i cant play footbag outside, which is where id do mostly all my shredding during the summer. i try and play im my room for an hour or two after school but theres not much room and i end up getting frustrated that i keep bumping into things, and my dad complains of the banging so i have to play when no one is home. right now thats practically the only place i can play, other then that i just think about different strings i could try or drills i should try for the rest of the day i find that it helps alittle bit. im moving soon and that house has a garage so im going to me able to play ALOT more when i move into that house :D .
Tom Gartland

-Beacon Footbag Coalition-