Worlds in US anytime soon?

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Worlds in US anytime soon?

Post by BainbridgeShred » 04 Jan 2005 12:26

Does anyone know or have any suspicions that Worlds 06/07 will be held in the US or anywhere in North America?

LittleBoy footbag
Official Streaker

Post by LittleBoy footbag » 04 Jan 2005 12:27

wow. If it's near me, I'm definetely hitching a ride with you guys.....that'd be awesome...sorry for no info I'm just really pumped if World's if gonna be here....woot

shreddaily
Flower Child

Post by shreddaily » 04 Jan 2005 13:32

Wolrds takes alot of work and dedication. Not to mention a booming scene. Whom ever gets worlds has to EARN it.

My money is on no.

But that'll just make all the awsome NA tourneys all the bigger and better.

LittleBoy footbag
Official Streaker

Post by LittleBoy footbag » 04 Jan 2005 13:38

yeah. I understand but the problem is that I can't go anywhere above $0 because my folks don't support me footbagging. Much more, shred aborad for a coupole weeks for hundreds of dollars. I figured if it was here in the U.S, it'd be tits b/c I can just hitch a ride with you guys (if it was ok) to worlds:us.....lol that'd be awesome... I guess not ALL things come true.

Wolrds takes alot of work and dedication. Not to mention a booming scene. Whom ever gets worlds has to EARN it.

I'm just there to watch if that's what you're insinuating

shreddaily
Flower Child

Post by shreddaily » 04 Jan 2005 14:19

add "hosting" to the begining of my quote and I think you'll take less offence. :)

LittleBoy footbag
Official Streaker

Post by LittleBoy footbag » 04 Jan 2005 14:23

oh ok NOW i get it. yeah it's not too big where iam anyway except for small spots of dedicated shredders (outsider!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
and a small club......i'll just have to run from home annd catch a plane then :P

lol none taken btw shreddaily. no problem

quadgun
can't dex

Post by quadgun » 04 Jan 2005 14:24

Earlier this year, Scott Davidson emailed zeke, asking him what he thought about trying to do worlds 06 in chicago .... so i guess scott might be trying to put something together .... it would be cool if people actually came to a tournament ran by scott. Well it wouldn't be by scott, it would be by the Midwest Footbag Association (not sure if thats the right name)

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 04 Jan 2005 15:08

I'm still sour about going to worlds when it was in SanFransisco but not really being a footbagger so not knowing anything about it... I mean I didn't shred at all there I just got there watched the show and left... I feel so stupid now... oh well better then nothing... much better.
Dustin Rhodes

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 04 Jan 2005 15:29

I say we build an artificial island in the middle Atlantic between Europe and America that will get no use besides annually for worlds.

Lets have Dexter do it? :twisted:

LittleBoy footbag
Official Streaker

Post by LittleBoy footbag » 04 Jan 2005 15:33

Yeah. I don't think he's too busy now.....lol :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

peanutbuterboy
Fearless

Post by peanutbuterboy » 04 Jan 2005 17:07

I wish that would happen. I live in Texas and there are never any big competitions around.
I would be happy with a little one :roll:
Luke Andrews

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 04 Jan 2005 18:40

I'm not sure of where you live, but last year there was

2004 Texas State Footbag Championships
November 13, 2004
Austin, Texas, USA
(Prize money event)

2004 Southern Regional Footbag Championships
May 15-16, 2004
Addison, Texas, USA
(Prize money event

and

Space City Freestyle Jam 2004
May 1-2, 2004
Houston, Texas, USA
Contact: Michael Anthony Stokely, Stoke@footbag.org, 281 495 3547 [h]
(Prize money event)

You might not live near any of those though... I'm assuming most of these will happent this year as well, hope these help, you can find them on the footbag.org events page...
Dustin Rhodes

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 04 Jan 2005 21:29

I think the big problem with a worlds in the US is that the scene in Europe seems to be very big - but there don't seem to be many big scenes in the US with keen young players - I can imagine San Fran hosting it - but when you look at the players - a lot of them have been to a lot of worlds and have stopped competing - so may not have the motivation to host worlds. While I think it is very easy to name lots of countries in Europe that easily have the support to put on a really big worlds.

It's not to say there aren't lots of players in the US - but they seem very spread out and don't have the kind of clubs like Prague and Helsinki with over 30 players.

I think it will probably be a few years at least until we have another North American worlds - I think next year will probably be another European country - maybe 2007? - Although it's possible that by that time one of the Western Pacific nations might be able to host it (Australia, New Zealand or Japan).

Maybe the best thing would be to try and organise a North American championships every year - like Europe have their championships.

But I might be completely wrong - I don't know a great deal about the US scene - except that since I've started playing footbag - no US players as far as I know have been inducted into BAP - we've had Vasek, Ales, Honza, Felix, Yves, Jere V, Dylan F, Nick L, Jorden M, Jere L, Johnny M, Toni P, - hmm that's all I can think of off the top of my head - I'm sure I've missed some of the Fins in particular (Juho Marjo?) - I guess you can count Ken Somolinos too - who is an American but lives in Japan. I don't know - maybe it's not relevent - it just seems like the scenes are bigger in Europe and some other countries (canada for one) than in the US at the moment. Sure there are players that haven't got into BAP that are better than some of those mentioned - Ricky Moran for instance - but there are people like that in every country I think.

I hope I haven't offended any Americans - those are just some thoughts of mine on why I think it will be a while until there is a US worlds.

Oh also - San Fran was where the last US worlds was wasn't it? I don't think we'd have two worlds in the same place in 5 years - somewhere like Seattle or Philly sounds much more likely if there is a US worlds.

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 04 Jan 2005 21:49

I hope I haven't offended any Americans - those are just some thoughts of mine on why I think it will be a while until there is a US worlds.
I don't think you could go a post without offending atleast one American :wink:

james
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by james » 04 Jan 2005 22:47

Worlds should return to Portland, Oregon.
James McCullough

hacksterbator
Washed-Up Child Star

Post by hacksterbator » 04 Jan 2005 23:12

Jeremy wrote:since I've started playing footbag - no US players as far as I know have been inducted into BAP - we've had Vasek, Ales, Honza, Felix, Yves, Jere V, Dylan F, Nick L, Jorden M, Jere L, Johnny M, Toni P, - hmm that's all I can think of off the top of my head
jim penseke. he was inducted in san fran 2002 with ales, honza and vasek. i guess he was the last us player inducte. and san fran, if i'm not mistaken, held worlds in 2001 and 2002.
A.G.

LameR
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by LameR » 05 Jan 2005 04:17

james wrote:Worlds should return to Portland, Oregon.
What he said!
-connor campbell
prosers-pros of the posers-
I like my sugar with coffee and cream.

Shredxor
BSOS Beast

Post by Shredxor » 05 Jan 2005 06:36

james wrote:Worlds should return to Portland, Oregon.
what a novel idea an hours drive away?... awesome..., i think seatte would be a good place as well, because the scene up there looks promising
Ricky Holton

sampotter
the boy who lived

Post by sampotter » 05 Jan 2005 10:58

Jeremy... There are a lot of up and coming North American players, and there a lot of scenes. :) I think because the attention's on Europe, people forget about the US and Canada quite a bit. Good scenes:

Philadelphia, New York, the Northwest sort of combined (Seattle, Eugene, Portland, Olympia, Victoria, Vancouver, and now Spokane (holla James) ), Missoula, in California there's San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego (though I'm not sure how large the last two are anymore...), Chicago, places in Texas, places in the south, Winnipeg, Montreal, Toronto, Saskatoon?, Ottawa :), etc...

People chime in, there are -obviously- more.

Oh, and I don't think there will be a Worlds in the US too soon.

Also, from what I heard, Justin Dale was very close to becoming BAP this year (in that if he had played in some showtime circle they would have inducted him), but he didn't feel he performed well enough this year, so he didn't. And next year? I'm pretty sure David Clavens, Chris Kovacs, and Nate Linscott will BAP easily if they show up.

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 05 Jan 2005 13:42

Another question, when worlds do happen in cities, do the cities clubs host the event?

For example if there was a worlds in Winnipeg, would Hackrifice host?