Going to Peru for six weeks

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
username
unorthodox jew

Going to Peru for six weeks

Post by username » 06 Jun 2005 06:27

SIX WEEKS!!!!
IN PERU!!!!!!!!!

Im so pumped, going on a missions trip, to help spreade the word...of God, that is. But check it out, I've got a ton of footbags that I'll be handing out, and everyone is real pumped about footbag and they love it, so I'm gonna try to promote it a ton. The main sport down there is soccer, or futbol, in spanish, so im willing to bet that the peruvians will love it. Also if anyone down in Peru shreds, and is on the Forum, I'll be in lima, staying in the city of cieneguilla, so drop a line and we'll kick but still, is this not just plain wild?!?!?!?!
I'm with Sergey...fuck adds

If u are flammable and have legs, u are never blocking a fire exit
-Mitch Hedberg, You were one of the best man R.I.P.
Nate Sherman

Guest_2
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Guest_2 » 06 Jun 2005 15:56

Unorthadox Jewish Missionaries?

Don't see enough of those guys....

junkyardjew
BSOS Beast

Post by junkyardjew » 06 Jun 2005 18:47

uh... does peru REALLY need MORE missionaries? I've been reading "the conquest of the Incas" by John Hemming, and it seems like peru and the countries around it have been overrun with missionaries pretty much since the 17th century.

I mean, dude, 90% of peruvians are roman catholic. Ninety percent! I don't want to discourage you or anything, but do you think that those ten percent haven't heard about Christ yet? That just maybe in a country that speaks the language of a Catholic Imperialist power and is overwhelmingly catholic, everyone who isn't Catholic might be happy to stay that way?

Anyway, if you really think that an english speaking missionary from america is going to convert any of the indians left in the mountains into christians where thousands of spanish speaking (or even indigenous dialect speaking indians who have already converted) have failed, I guess you can go ahead and try...

but have you considered going to peru and spreading dysentery medicines? that's one of the biggest killers of children in third world countries. how about malaria vaccinations? Many small villages in south america are more than an hour by car from the nearest populations centre that has even a single doctor! My girlfriend is in Ecuador right now working with the red cross, and I have to say that from the stories she's told me, the people of Peru could probably use more than footbag and a bible.

Anyway, if I'm way off base here, feel free to tell me, but I'm just wondering if you're going to be doing the maximum amount of good on your trip...
Jared MacKay

HooD
HoodluM

Post by HooD » 07 Jun 2005 01:08

Junkyardjew wrote:the people of Peru could probably use more than footbag and a bible.
Nah, god will sort things out.

Hey, while you're in South America, go find those hackers that messed with our beloved modified board and sabotage their computers.
More C4 please <3

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 07 Jun 2005 03:51

My friend's mom that lives in Peru told me that gas is almost 8 dollars a gallon there. 8O I just thought it was interesting because people flip out at gas prices all the time, but they're not ever 8 freaking dollars!
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

junkyardjew
BSOS Beast

Post by junkyardjew » 07 Jun 2005 04:21

people flip out at gas prices all the time, but they're not ever 8 freaking dollars!
americans have some of the lowest gas prices in the world. lower than many of the worlds oil exporting countries even. hooray for promoting urban sprawl through energy subsidies!
Jared MacKay