Please Watch this (vegetarianism)

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.

Will you eat an animal after watching this?

yes
86%
no
14%

Total votes: 43

LameR
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by LameR » 10 May 2004 14:19

Let people do what they want. Don't try to force them into your beliefs and then if they deny it get all pissed off. Not everyone will agree with you, guarentee(sp?) it. People can be dicks, get used to it.
-connor campbell
prosers-pros of the posers-
I like my sugar with coffee and cream.

Splint
Angry Hippy

Post by Splint » 11 May 2004 09:53

I really wanted to stay away form this, but oh well I have to say my piece...

People being hungry in this world has little if not nothing to do with the amount of water we give to animals in slaughter houses.

People are hungry because 99% of the wealth in the world is in the hands of less than 1% of it's population.
The amount of Soy beans, corn and hemp alone in the world could solve all hunger, clothing, and oil needs. But not without making a profit dammit.
Nothing...and I mean NOTHING... comes free. Someone, somewhere down the line is working their ass off and they want to get paid for it, and the guy paying him wants to get paid for having to take the time to pay the other guy and so on and so forth.

If PETA had their way we'd be totally overrun by animals because they reproduce 10 times faster than humans and we wouldn't be allowed to kill them unless it was a total fluke accident. Even the most extreme PETA Heads wouldn't give up their lives for the animals unless they were insane.

I'm not saying there isn't a better way, but it sure isn't through PETA and it sure isn't through blasting eachother with idiotic, childish flame throwing.
Old Skool

FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 11 May 2004 11:42

. I mean, it died so you could go just one more day without being hungry, and meat-eaters should at least recognize that those animals deserve their respect.
That's correct - Which is why Christians (and many others) pray over the food they are about to eat.

The aboriginese (sp?) not only pray before they find food, they pray for food, ask God if it is that animals time to go, then kill it humanely and quickly. They then use every single piece including the blood, guts, and bones.

These people don't believe in material possesions, or meat farming, or any industrial type endeavor and they still eat meat.

Sam I deplore you - have respect for those who disagree with you - and they will have respect for you. Life's a 2 way street excpect on a one lane highway (to hell if you're not careful ~AC/DC Highway to hell :lol: ).
Go out and shred already.
~Damon Mathews

B_Man
Flower Child

Post by B_Man » 11 May 2004 19:02

Would a hungry bear consider how much sufering you go through when it's mauling you to death? Does a shark consider how much pain a surfer goes through when it attacks?
- Byrin Wylie

ShrEdmonton

wolfpac444
Your Friendly Admin

Post by wolfpac444 » 12 May 2004 00:04

B_Man wrote:Would a hungry bear consider how much sufering you go through when it's mauling you to death? Does a shark consider how much pain a surfer goes through when it attacks?
I imagine not for both cases; however, I fail to see the relevance to this discussion. Why should the behaviour of some animal have any effect on what you choose to eat?
Mike Hansen

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 12 May 2004 00:07

are humans any different than other animals? We basically work in the same manner - we have the same ancestors - we like to think we're different but ultimatly we bleed just like everything else.

Clearly Sloths are the most evolved life form on the planet - and when I retire I will spend the last years off my life hanging upside down from a tree asleep with dignity.

wolfpac444
Your Friendly Admin

Post by wolfpac444 » 12 May 2004 00:12

It doesn't matter whether or not humans are or are not different than other animals. In either case, you are still able to make a choice on how you want to live your life (unless you believe that we are in fact capable of making free decisions).
Mike Hansen

MegaFighter_X
Post Master General

Post by MegaFighter_X » 12 May 2004 10:46

We are essentially the same as the bear or what not. Except for a one thing...

We use tools because, relitive to other animals, we are weak.

I think this post was going to have a point... but I forgot it.... damn...
John D

Spadrick
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Spadrick » 12 May 2004 13:11

I dont think that it would be very wise to even compare humans to animals. It is quite obvious that we are animals, but so evolved.

If you look at the classifications of animals, you will see that in all species there is one variable that stays the same within that species; Herbivore, Omnivore, Carnivore.

Humans are the only species that display all three within the same genome. I believe that we were originally omnivorous, but then choice came into the picture and let us decide what we wanted to do. I dont believe that it is healty to be a vegitarian. The reason being that, if we WERE omnivorous, we should REMAIN omnivorous. Changing what we ate to get where we are might change where we are going.

I wouldnt be surprised to see the future of minority moving from where your from, to what you look like becuause of what your ancestors ate.

Think about it.
:wink:

*EDIT* We are what we eat!
Adam Dexter

HighDemonslayer
Egyptian Footgod

Post by HighDemonslayer » 12 May 2004 14:01

I like food I can leave in my pick-up for a week in the sun, and still eat later.

edit: Raisins

-n
Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

-----------------------------------
-nathan

Trent
Circle Kicker

Post by Trent » 13 May 2004 03:29

I hadn't seen this video before and had I known it was released by PETA, I would not have gone through the trouble to get it.

Alas, I watched the video fully and tried not to laugh at some of the "reasons" to be a vegetarian.

I do think that vegetarianism has it's merits but I do not think that ad hominem attacks are a very effective way to convince people of them. Accepting facts about eating meat from PETA is like accepting everything George Bush has to say about John Kerry without question.
The case PETA presents in the video pits the 'noble vegetarians' against the 'evil carnivores'. PETA assumes that if you are not a vegetarian, then you are a carnivorous, meat eating glutton. This may be true with a select few but they do not reflect the majority of "meat eaters".

I've selected a few, I'll try to keep it short

Reason 3: Eating meat and dairy makes you fat
what do they hope to gain by putting an obvious fabrication into a video? Eating meat and dairy can make you fat, but if I sat around eating "freedom fries" all day I could probably be able to achieve the same result

Reason 6: Because meat is filthy and bloody
is this supposed to stop me from eating it because I'm afraid to get my hands dirty?

Reason 13: Because it takes a small person to beat a defensless animal... and an even smaller one to eat it
Ouch! ad hominem here we come!

I'll stop now. On a side note, can a vegetarian believe in abortion?

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2004/03/20/193016.php
http://www.nbc4.tv/news/3280487/detail.html
Goooo Lee!

strumpfm
Shredalicious

Post by strumpfm » 13 May 2004 07:36

<joking answer>a vegetarian can only believe in abortion if they are a member of peta. peta values animal lives more than human ones, so killing humans (even ones that aren't human yet) is totally cool. plus, who wants to carry around a baby while going to the peta2 concert series, or voting for the sexiest vegetarian of the year?</joking answer>

why would you even wonder that? vegetarianism is about eating animals, and really has nothing to do with people at all. since a lot of vegetarians value animal lives, they also value human lives, but this is more likely to suggest that they won't murder living people. unless someone is pro-life, abortion is not murder, and vegetarians should have no issues with it.
Mike Strumpf

Fuego
Shredalicious

Post by Fuego » 18 May 2004 09:33

If there were a child drowning in a lake, you would probably dive in and save it right?

If an ant(or any other animal) fell in a lake would you dive in after it and make every effort to save it?

Playing devils advocate, not trying to take sides.
Andrew Coleman
SOUF4ever

sPinko-Mania
Multidex Master

Post by sPinko-Mania » 18 May 2004 12:55

By ant I hope you mean antelope because the other kind is not an animal :)
Ben Spink McCarthy
They say God lives inside us. If this is true, I hope he likes salmonella. Because that's what he's getting.

MegaFighter_X
Post Master General

Post by MegaFighter_X » 18 May 2004 14:23

Actually, biologically speaking, it is.
5 kingdoms:
KINGDOM Monera: Prokaryotic, unicellular, nutrition mainly by absorption with some photo- or chemosynthesis
KINGDOM Protista: typically unicellular, eucaryotic, nutrition by absorption, ingestion and photosynthes
KINGDOM Fungi: multicellular, eucaryotic plant-like organisms, nutrition by absorption, cell walls made of chitin
KINGDOM Plantae: multicellular, eucaryotic, rigid cell walls, nutrition by photosynthesis
KINGDOM Animalia: multicellular, eucaryotic, nutrition mainly by ingestion with internal digestive tract, mostly motile

not to be a dick, but I'm just saying. But taking it to that extent seems kind of rediculous...[/list]
John D

sPinko-Mania
Multidex Master

Post by sPinko-Mania » 18 May 2004 15:13

The more you know...I take it back :)

Regardless though, an ant has none of the qualities most vegetarians don't kill animals for. I guess there are certain vegetarians that don't want to kill anything, as a rule, and they would see killing an ant or letting one die as bad, but I'm sure they're the small minority.
Ben Spink McCarthy
They say God lives inside us. If this is true, I hope he likes salmonella. Because that's what he's getting.

wolfpac444
Your Friendly Admin

Post by wolfpac444 » 18 May 2004 15:44

Do ants drown when they are in lakes?
Mike Hansen

Fuego
Shredalicious

Post by Fuego » 18 May 2004 19:35

My comment didn't just apply to ants, I just used ants as an exageration.

Which brings up another question. At what point do animals lives become worth saving?
At what point does it go from vegetarianism to Jainism?
Andrew Coleman
SOUF4ever

HighDemonslayer
Egyptian Footgod

Post by HighDemonslayer » 18 May 2004 20:46

Ants falling in water are a major food source for fish life.

edit: Ants also kill and consume many other types of animal life.
-n
Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

-----------------------------------
-nathan