Gay Marriage

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.

Should gays and lesbians be able to get married?

Yes
74%
No
26%

Total votes: 47

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 05 Sep 2003 19:02

HighDemonslayer wrote:
Uses more water? Who's water are we stealing? Last I liked looked, Mexico was breaking their treaty and not sending any back into Texas.

Greenhouse emissions? Maybe you haven't noticed that brown cloud over Southeast Asia. Must have been American's buying cheap toys made by slaves in China.
Besides, the E.P.A. just said that "greenhouse emissions are not pollutants." If those rabid treehuggers say so , then it must not be that bad.

Eats more food? If we ate less, would that stop food aid from rotting on the docks of poor nations?

yeah, I'll say it again: Our culture is better than many piece-of-shit- nations-we-are-thankful-not-to-live-in.

paradox.symposium.

The "U.S. eats to much, drinks to much, pollutes to much...." mantra is getting so boring.

-n
Mexico is an opressive governement that is heavily supported by the US. I also don't se any connection between what Mexico does and what the US does. Australia uses the second most amount of water per person in the world and we are the driest inhabited continent - that's not the point, we still need to change and so does the US. The water you are stealing belongs to the world - what gives you the right to use water anymore than anyone else? Because you are 'morally' superiour?

The fact that other nations also produce greenhouse gasses mean nothing. A murderer is still a murderer if other murderers exist - I again don't see the relevence between south east asia and the US. The brown cloud over South East Asia is mainly caused by the massive forest fires from the summer before last that were so severe that they changed the weather conditions creating a more flamable climate. however all this doesn't change the fact that the US creates more greenhouse gasses than any other country and more per person as well (except possible for Australia - I've seen different statistics on the per person figures - both create a lot anyway). you have misquoted the E.P.A or they made a mistake - not all greenhouse gasses are "pollutents' depending entirely on your definition of pollutents. by not attempting to lower the amount of greenhouse gasses produced (and by not stopping US corporations from logging the Amazon0 the US is condemning many of the pacific islands to destruction - what a high and mighty thing to do.

Eat more food just demonstrate what a greedy nation the US is on a social level. Even other rich nations like Japan and Switzerland don't eat to the level of the US and Australia - It's obviously a cultural thing for both countries being on average overwieght and having the highest rates of obesity in the world.

Your standard of living may well be 'better' than many other nations but your understanding of what culture is is lacking and the US is also responsible for some of the most horrid standards of living around the world.

HighDemonslayer
Egyptian Footgod

Post by HighDemonslayer » 06 Sep 2003 18:15

So we steal water from the world when use water from inside the U.S. ?
Is France stealing water when they bottle it and sell to dumb consumers?

Is every country stealing from the world when they harvest resources?
Does every drop you drink mean a little kid will go without?

Comparing greenhouses gasses to murderers is a huge stretch.

There is no consensus on rising oceans linked to greenhouse gases. The same scientists crying "global warming" today, were crying "global cooling" back in the 70's.

It's to bad you appear to hate your own nation and the U.S. so much.
You should set an example for all of us and stop drinking water.

I think I understand what culture is. I understand what enviromental zealotry is also.

Quiz: What's the number one greenhouse gas in the atmosphere?
answer: Water vapor

-n
Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

-----------------------------------
-nathan

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 09 Sep 2003 01:17

HighDemonslayer wrote: Comparing greenhouses gasses to murderers is a huge stretch.
-n
Sorry I just have to ask this - Are you retarded? No offence, I don't have anything against mentally handicapped people and I'm not asking because you're opposing my arguement, but I don't want to abuse you about your intelligence if you realy do have some kind of thinking (or maybe reading) problem.

The question is - why does that water belong to you? Why do natrually occuring resources belong to the country they occur in? Asking "does every drop of water you drink mean a little kid will go without" is an amazingly simplified view of the issue (makes me wonder about my first question again). The truth is that everyday of the year over 40,000 people stave to death, simply because of the country they were born in.

You say that there is no consensus over rising oceans and greenhouse gasses. I suggest you do a little research and you'll find that at the Rio Earth Summit in 1991 a large number of scientists (including over half of all Nobel Prize winners - about 3/4 of all living winners) signed a plea to the governments of the world to make serious changes now - they predicted in the plea that the survival of the human race hinged on that change occuring within no more than 30 years. There is an enourmas amount of evidence to suggest that greenhouse gasses create warmer temperatures (and surely you know that warmer things expand) - rising sea levels is nothing to do with melting icecaps - it's caused by water expanding. The biggest known extinction in the history of earth is believed to be caused by a sudden build up of methane in the atmosphere - about 99.8% of life on earth was destroyed. All real scientists would question the link between greenhouse gasses and rising ocean levels - however a very small minority actually disagrees with it - and most scientists have been convinced.

What's your point with that quiz? The theory of global warming is that an increase of greenhouse gases will create warmer temperatures. Previously there was a balance (or at least things were changing very slowly - millions of years slow) but now there is a rapid increase (relatively speaking) in the levels of greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere. The levels of water vapour have been pretty steady - however as the temperature rises the amount of water vapour will also rise. This hasn't happened to any great extent yet.

Finally, reread my comment on murderers and greenhouse gasses again - perhaps try not to put words in my mouth, don't make assumptions, just read the words that I wrote. Maybe look up a few words in the dictionary, words like "example" and "metaphore". Perhaps I could reword the two sentences to make things easier for you.

The US produces greenhouse gasses. Other countries also produce greenhouse gasses. The US still produces greenhouse gasses.
A man murders someone. He is given the name by society of "murderer". Another man murders someone. He too is given the name by society of "murderer". The first man is still called "murderer".

Please note - no part of this paragraph contains the word "compaire" or any other term suggesting that there is any comparison necessary - bar the point that what other people (or nations) do doesn't effect the morality of the original person (in these cases).

Hope that makes sense.

Rob
Flower Child

Post by Rob » 09 Sep 2003 06:10

Wasn't the original topic gay marriage?

this is the 44 Wand, the most powerful Handwand in the world, so did i fire 5 or 6 fireballs? now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do i feel lucky? well do ya punk.