True or False

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.
slapdash21
Futureless

True or False

Post by slapdash21 » 23 Sep 2005 13:20

Just answer true or false, as honestly as possible (it would be preferable if the debating didnt start quite yet...i dont want anyone's opinion to be swayed). also, i recommend only looking at the first post until after you answer... once there are like 5-8 responses (or a lack of interest) i will add some interesting flame to the fire.
go.

1. To change the way people act, you must first change their attitudes.

2. The greater the reward promised for a boring activity, the more one will come to enjoy the activity

3. Most people rate themselves as below average when comparing themselves to others on socially desirable characteristics (such as attractiveness)

4. Most people will disobey a person in authority who orders them to hurt a stranger.

5. In a debate, it is always to your advantage to to be the last speaker instead of going first (you want the last word).

6. People pull harder in a tug-of-war when they are part of a team than when they are pulling by themselves.

7 Groups will generally make more moderate decisions than a single individual will.

8. Opposites attract.

9. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

10. People are LESS likely to help another person when they are alone than when there is a group around.

11. If you pick up a crying baby whenever it cries, this will increase the amount the baby will cry, so it can get picked up again.

12. Children who grow up in a family with gay parents are more likely to become gay.
Pete Bowler
B$C
keeps it offah da ground.

617 FOR LIFE

Iain
1337 h4x0r

Post by Iain » 23 Sep 2005 13:25

1. false
2. true
3. true
4. false
5. true
6. false
7. false
8. true
9. true
10. false
11. false
12. false
Hello, my name is Iain George.

SandWraith
Egyptian Footgod

Re: True or False

Post by SandWraith » 23 Sep 2005 14:18

True.

2. The greater the reward promised for a boring activity, the more one will come to enjoy the activity
True.

3. Most people rate themselves as below average when comparing themselves to others on socially desirable characteristics (such as attractiveness)
True.

4. Most people will disobey a person in authority who orders them to hurt a stranger.
False.

5. In a debate, it is always to your advantage to be the last speaker instead of going first (you want the last word).
False.

6. People pull harder in a tug-of-war when they are part of a team than when they are pulling by themselves.
True.

7 Groups will generally make more moderate decisions than a single individual will.
False.

8. Opposites attract.
False. :(

False. (in the short term this may be true, but then it becomes more "out of sight, out of mind" )
10. People are LESS likely to help another person when they are alone than when there is a group around.
False. Diffusion of responsibility.

11. If you pick up a crying baby whenever it cries, this will increase the amount the baby will cry, so it can get picked up again.
True. Learned behavior.

12. Children who grow up in a family with gay parents are more likely to become gay.
False. Although I do not think it is genetic, I also do not think it is an environmental/learned behavior. It is a preference a person has.
Zach Marine - Member of the Tendonitis Club!
blog

NotHisRealName
Post Master General

Post by NotHisRealName » 23 Sep 2005 15:05

I'll play.

True

False

True

True

5. In a debate, it is always to your advantage to to be the last speaker instead of going first (you want the last word).
True

False

True

8. Opposites attract.
True (lol)

False

False

True

False
Comment in the BCS blog if you feel the need to.

Gareth Williams

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Post by Slowsis » 23 Sep 2005 15:49

True

False

False

False
True
True
True
8. Opposites attract.
True
True
False
True
False

Way to leave us in suspense......"I'll add some flame to the fire :roll: "
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog

davidwreschnig
Circle Kicker

Post by davidwreschnig » 23 Sep 2005 16:34

false

false

true

false

false

false

true

8. Opposites attract.
false

true

true

true

false
david wreschnig

WiGeek
Multidex Master

Post by WiGeek » 23 Sep 2005 19:26

1. False, you just got to take them away from there influences.
2. False, no matter how good i used to get at aggressive rollerblading, i always felt the same level of not so great achievement -- hence why i quit.
3. True, I always heard you feel more fat and ugly the more you look in a mirror than people who hardley look in the mirror. i look in the mirror a lot. haha.
4. False, if a cop came up to me and said i had to kill a man for the better of the earth, i would... probably.
5. False, people with the last word are usually always wrong, and are trying to just cover up the truth more and more.
6. True, I always want to impress the people I am with, and kick the opponents ass. :P If I was alone, I just wouldn't care...
7. False, when one person in the group strays, the rest will follow.
8. True, only as long as one adapts later on to the things the other likes... New stuff in a life is fun!!!
9. True, but it can sometimes be bad. If you really want to be with that person, it can make you have thoughts like "I am sure I can find someone else who can spend more time with me..."
10. True, in a group, it's generally "impress the next" time
11. True, the kid becomes a spoiled little brat the more you do that... (I've seen it happen in life)
12. False, but theoretically it should be true, based on the fact of baby see... baby do.
j||o||r||d||a||n
t||h||o||m||p||s||o||n

Troyson
Fearless

Post by Troyson » 23 Sep 2005 20:34

True

2. The greater the reward promised for a boring activity, the more one will come to enjoy the activity.
True

True

4. Most people will disobey a person in authority who orders them to hurt a stranger. False

False

True

True

8. Opposites attract.
False

True

True

False

False

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 23 Sep 2005 22:05

True

False

True

false

false (presuming we're talking competition debating)

false

true

8. Opposites attract.
false

true

true

true

false

But I have to say not only on a lot those was I completely unsure - a lot of them my personal responce to the situation would be different to what I think the average person would be.

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 24 Sep 2005 16:04

aright. to see if i can make this more interesting. these questions were all the focus of a recent study. the website is http://www.kcmetro.cc.mo.us/longview/ctac/psychlink.htm, but i will quote directly from it.

All are FALSE!

All of these have been established through research, mostly in the field of Social Psychology, and represent outcomes we might not have intuitively expected. Thus, they are called Counter-Intuitive. Here is why. Each item from the Common Sense Test is explained below.

This is false because people often behave in ways that run contrary to their attitudes. Any time we explain our behavior as "giving in to peer pressure" we have said that we hold an attitude against that behavior, but engaged in it regardless.

2. The greater the reward promised for a boring activity, the more one will come to enjoy the activity.

While we may be more willing to engage in a boring activity if there is a great reward promised for doing so, we will actually enjoy it less. We explain our behavior in terms of the payoffs we receive for engaging in that behavior. If we are getting paid, for example, then the money is the justification for performing the behavior, "at least I'm being paid well." However, if there is minimal external reward, we will attribute our behavior to something like, "Well, it wasn't really that bad. In fact, it was sort of fun trying to get a rhythm to the task."

Beyond that, we will come to enjoy intrinsically rewarding activities less when there is an external reward associated with it. Reading programs for children that provide money or pizza for the number of books read actually end up decreasing the number of books read by those children once the external rewards are removed. The children explain their behavior by showing that they engaged in the activity not for the pleasure of reading, but for the money or pizza.

(See: work by Mark Lepper, cf: Lepper, M.R., Greene, D., & Nisbett, R.E. (1973). Undermining children's intrinsic interest with extrinsic reward: A test of the over justification hypothesis. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 28, 129-137.)

3. Most people rate themselves as below average when comparing themselves to others on socially desirable characteristics (such as attractiveness).

Most people rate themselves above average, but less than ideal. This is often called the Self-centered bias. Several studies have found that we tend to say we are "not genius, but above average intelligence, not gorgeous, but above average looking, etc."

Markus, H., & Wurf, E. (1987) The dynamic self-concept: A social psychological perspective. Annual Review of Psychology, 38, 299-337.

Myers, D.G. (1980) Inflated self: Human illusions and the biblical call to hope. New York: Seabury Press.

Taylor, S.E., & Brown J.D. (1988). Illusion and well-being : A social psychological perspective on mental health. Psychological Bulletin, 103, 193-210.

Taylor, S.E., & Brown J.D. (1994) Illusion and well-being revisited Separating fact from fiction. Psychological Bulletin, 116, 21-27.

Unfortunately, this is false. The most classical experiments on this were performed by Stanley Milgram. In his studies, he had an experimenter in a white lab coat instruct a research subject to deliver ever-increasingly strong shocks to another person, believed to be another subject. The shocks were followed by groans, screams, protests, and finally by silence. Although subjects did not want to persist, all delivered at least some shocks, and about 2/3 completed the entire range of shocks. Many subjects believed the subject being shocked had possibly died as a result of their activity, but none heroically rescued the victim in defiance of the official authority!

See his book: Milgram, S. (1974) Obedience to authority. New York: Harper & Row.

5. In a debate, it is always to your advantage to be the last speaker instead of going first (you want the last word).

The first person to speak gets the advantage of setting the stage. The person who follows must break down the arguments and scenario as presented by the first speaker, while also presenting their own perspective. While the last word is certainly beneficial, being first provides a decided advantage.

Despite all the talk about making team efforts and "we're in this together" people tend to slack off when there are others to take over for them or cover their lack of effort. This is apparent to anyone who ever had a group project in school or at work in which peoples' individual effort could not be determined by the teacher or boss. Someone ends up with the lion's share of the work, and an equal share in the payoff.

The process is call "diffusion of responsibility" and occurs regularly in groups and teams.

7. Groups will generally make more moderate decisions than a single individual will.

Groups actually will make more extreme decisions than will individuals. This is related to diffusion of responsibility - if things go wrong I can say, "I didn't want it, but the group over-rode me." There is also a tendency toward "groupthink." This is a polarization of groups into more extreme opinions and plans. There is a mentality that, "you're either with us or you're against us, what's it gonna be?" There is also the dynamic that "we can do it if we all get together!" (Refer back to #6 above!)

cf: Janis, I.L. (1971) Groupthink. Psychology Today, 5(6), 43-46ff.

cf: Janis, I.L. (1972) Victims of groupthink: A psychological study of foreign-policy decisions and fiascoes. Boston: Houghton Mifflin.

8. Opposites attract.

Here we tend to notice the aspects of our loved ones that are different from us, labeling them as "opposite". But stop for a moment and think about yourself, what would your true opposite be? A tall, thin, dark-skinned, motivated, religious, intelligent, social, liberal, college student striving for a degree in engineering would be attracted to a short, heavy, light-skinned, apathetic, atheist, unintelligent, withdrawn, conservative high-school drop out! This is the opposite of these characteristics! While a bit of variation makes for interest, opposites are generally rejected and we search for people much like ourselves. This is called the "matching hypothesis." People tend to marry within their own social group (called endogamy) and tend to marry those with similar personality characteristics (called Homogamy).

As with this cliche, there are often counter-cliches that say the reverse, but are also believed to be true. Although opposites attract, birds of a feather flock together. How can these both be true? The basic problem with cliches is that we treat them as if they were obvious, we tend to select only that data which supports the underlying assumptions, and reject or simply not notice other data.

While short separations in a committed relationship might make the couple celebrate the reunion, absences tend to make the heart start to wander! Long distance relationships rarely work for long. There are people close by who start to look interesting.

Cliches in general do not offer good advice for living.

This is due to a phenomenon called the "bystander effect" and is related to diffusion of responsibility (discussed under #6 above). Essentially, we take cues about whether to act from the others gathered around us. Since the others are also taking cues from each other, we tend to all stand around doing nothing because it is "nothing" that seems to be the thing to do. No one wants to look like a fool for being the only one to act and end up with it being a mistake. This is exaggerated in situations that are ambiguous. We may not be sure what the right thing to do is; or whether the person really needs help. We see this being addressed in crisis intervention and first aid classes when they tell people that if you are choking at mealtime to stand, throw over the table, and point to your throat. If you are being polite and trying not to create a scene, people might mistake the true state of emergency and you might die for your politeness! Reduce the ambiguity.

When there is only one other person, that person is more likely to intervene. Have your emergencies around a select few trained people and you are more likely to have assistance.

cf:. Latane, B., & Darley, J. (1970) The unresponsive bystander: Why doesn't he help? New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts.

Contrary to popular belief, babies who are quickly attended to do not learn to cry more to be picked up more, they learn that their needs will be readily attended to and cry less. It is like the child in the grocery store who knows she has to fuss for a long time to get the candy at the check-out counter - she starts in early and is fussing for the long haul. A baby whose needs are attended to learn a sense of security in the responsiveness of care-givers.

While we expect modeling to be effective here, the fact is there is no difference between families of gay or lesbian parents and families of heterosexual parents in the sexual orientation of the children. If this were true, then homosexual parents would model this to their children and there would be no gay or lesbian people because all children (aside for artificial methods of conception) are from a male-female union.

(Question items 1 - 10 are from Whitford, F.W. (1992) Instructors' Resource Manual for Worchel & Shebilske's Psychology, 4th Edition. Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice Hall. All explanations are original to Matthew Westra).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
well there you have it. i certainly dont agree with all of that (when i first took the test in psychology i barely agreed with anyone, but upon further discussion, my opinions were swayed on many of them. i know its a lot to discuss at once, but go for it :)
Pete Bowler
B$C

617 FOR LIFE

vanderwax
Multidex Master

Post by vanderwax » 25 Sep 2005 11:16

1. To change the way people act, you must first change their attitudes. TRUE

2. The greater the reward promised for a boring activity, the more one will come to enjoy the activity. FALSE

3. Most people rate themselves as below average when comparing themselves to others on socially desirable characteristics (such as attractiveness) TRUE

4. Most people will disobey a person in authority who orders them to hurt a stranger. TRUE

5. In a debate, it is always to your advantage to to be the last speaker instead of going first (you want the last word). FALSE

6. People pull harder in a tug-of-war when they are part of a team than when they are pulling by themselves. TRUE

7 Groups will generally make more moderate decisions than a single individual will. TRUE

8. Opposites attract. FALSE

9. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. TRUE

10. People are LESS likely to help another person when they are alone than when there is a group around. FALSE

11. If you pick up a crying baby whenever it cries, this will increase the amount the baby will cry, so it can get picked up again. FALSE

12. Children who grow up in a family with gay parents are more likely to become gay. FALSE
Daniel G. 'Vanderwax'
'The head of state has called for me, by name, but I don't have time for him.'

SandWraith
Egyptian Footgod

Post by SandWraith » 25 Sep 2005 13:40

I know I already answered this survey, but question 7 has been bothering me. There are environments in which both true and false apply. For example, in corporations, nobody wants to take the blame for failure and so the company tends to follow a moderate path with very little change-- such as government. It is almost impossible to initiate large change in these organizations.

On the other hand, mob mentality provides a direct opposite to the aforementioned. Whereas one person would likely not go lynch a person, the diffusion of responsibility inherent in that environment plays towards extreme outcomes.

In other words, moderation or extremism depends on the specific circumstance.

Any disagreements/discussion would be cool, though perhaps Peter would not appreciate it in his topic, since it seems more like a survey topic. :/
Zach Marine - Member of the Tendonitis Club!
blog

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 25 Sep 2005 15:41

are you kidding?? first of all, i feel no ownership of any topic...but secondly, i absolutely ENCOURAGE debate and discussion! remember, these arent even my opinion, and i dont agree with all of it myself. please, pick out any question you dont agree with and feel free to go with it!!

i, myself, am honestly not positive that i agree with number 12, which is definitely hotly debated here on modified as well as the scientific world...but who knows.
Pete Bowler
B$C

617 FOR LIFE

dragonhack
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by dragonhack » 26 Sep 2005 11:33

false

true

false(going by myself)

false
false
true
true
8. Opposites attract.
true
true(unfortunately)
false
true
false
13. It's much more fun to discuss such thing's in real life other than over the internet(but this is ok)
true

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 26 Sep 2005 18:47

yeah good call on number 7. I was thinking of governments when I answered that too and I think governments are definitely more moderate than the people in them (thank god) - this is because (in my opinion) of the responsibility on them, which puts a lot of pressure on changing things. I think a group of people with no clear political division (ie - half don't belong to an opposing political party) and no serious responibilty for deciding for other people may be more extreme but generally all the evidence I see is that groups are more moderate - look at the IFPA as an example.

Toby
Shredaholic

Post by Toby » 26 Sep 2005 22:37

1. true
2. false - i think this depends on how long term though.
3. false
4. false
5. true
6. false
7. false: mobs don't make moderate decisions
8. true
9. false
10. true
11. false a disgusting thing to do: babies don't have wants, they only have needs. I think learnt behaviour comes later.
12. false
Toby Suggate

I'm thinking about something... and there is a very high chance it has something to do with footbag.

krumpage
Hack Fiend

Post by krumpage » 19 May 2006 15:39

1 true
2 false
3 true
4 false
5 false
6 false
7 generally groups will make moderate decisions true
8 true to some extent some personalities will not attract
9 true
10 true
11 true
12 i think absolutly false

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 20 May 2006 13:40

8O

i barely remember this...
Pete Bowler
B$C

617 FOR LIFE

Senor Grommet
Post Master General

Post by Senor Grommet » 22 May 2006 10:09

1 F
2 F
3 F
4 F
5 F
6 F
7 F
8 Depends, not T or F all of the time
9 T
10 F
11 T (if you do so in a way that conditions the baby to perform behavior X in response to Y, but picking a crying baby up does not necessarily always condition it to do so)
12 F
My name: Jeremy Mirken, AKA Chocolatey Shatner, AKA jerk enemy rim.

I kick it with trunk chef elf and liz luck key my.

smokefree
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by smokefree » 22 May 2006 14:57

1. True
2. False
3. True
4. True
5. True
6. True
7. True
8. True
9. Wtf? True?