Please unban Dan Feary

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.
Samurai
4square Warrior

Please unban Dan Feary

Post by Samurai » 28 Apr 2006 21:59

Please unban Dan Feary. He is an intelligent person who doesn't conveniently ignore points of veiw but aggressively attacks them. You shouldn't ban him just because he upsets you. You should just continue to discuss. That's my oppinion, but... please unban him.

-Sam
Shreddaily wrote:
Started with sparse low lines, built intensity with rythmic variety, went to 16th note lines in high register, than went to octives, than block chords for my last chorus... If you understood that last sentance than you should be playing music and not checking the internet.

Splint
Angry Hippy

Post by Splint » 29 Apr 2006 00:13

No. At least not yet. He doesn't just aggressively attack points of view. He blatantly ignores warnings from almost every moderator and admin to be careful about how he treats other members of this community. He is ridiculously immature for someone so "intelligent" and he has had more than enough warnings and temporary bans to get the idea that he needs to treat people with even a hint of decency.

In addition, it's quite fuckin' obvious that he didn't find Jesus in his Juvee cell block a couple of months ago. He was all "ladida god is great and I repent" bullshit, and now he's back to his same old shit. Damn, I hate being right.

Fuck it. He's banned for now. I might let him back in next week some time.
Old Skool

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 29 Apr 2006 00:41

Splint wrote:No. At least not yet. He doesn't just aggressively attack points of view. He blatantly ignores warnings from almost every moderator and admin to be careful about how he treats other members of this community. He is ridiculously immature for someone so "intelligent" and he has had more than enough warnings and temporary bans to get the idea that he needs to treat people with even a hint of decency.

In addition, it's quite fuckin' obvious that he didn't find Jesus in his Juvee cell block a couple of months ago. He was all "ladida god is great and I repent" bullshit, and now he's back to his same old shit. Damn, I hate being right.

Fuck it. He's banned for now. I might let him back in next week some time.
Haha at GRASS this guy was announced Dan Grear or something and I thought they said Dan Feary, and I was like 'They're right, Dan Feary's SO much more chill and nice in person!!'

Uranos
Flower Child

Post by Uranos » 29 Apr 2006 03:49

LOL - Has anyone actually met Dan feary in real life? I heard he was a real contrast to what he is here..
Alex Urano

Splint
Angry Hippy

Post by Splint » 29 Apr 2006 10:02

Uranos wrote:LOL - Has anyone actually met Dan feary in real life? I heard he was a real contrast to what he is here..
Most people are. Shit, I'm much nicer in person. That doesn't matter to me though. If Dan is such a great guy in person then it's obviously just a facade. Not having to face people or deal with reprecussions is one of the many pleasures of being online. Unfortunately, Dan's superior intellect doesn't comprehend the niceties of an online community.
Old Skool

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 29 Apr 2006 15:59

Well if he's nice in real life, then let him stick to that. No point of having him on modified if he's just going to be a dick.

sampotter
the boy who lived

Post by sampotter » 29 Apr 2006 18:52

Just for the benefit of EVERYONE ON THESE BOARDS WHO TAKES WHAT'S SAID HERE TOO SERIOUSLY...

I know Dan personally. He's a friend of mine. His online personality and his real life personality are completely different -- he's a cool dude and not much of a prick at all. He's only an ass hole online for entertainment and amusement purposes.

I don't care if he stays banned or not, just thought I would shed some light on the situation so people don't go acting the fool and demonizing folk.

Splint
Angry Hippy

Post by Splint » 30 Apr 2006 01:13

Nagasake wrote:Just for the benefit of EVERYONE ON THESE BOARDS WHO TAKES WHAT'S SAID HERE TOO SERIOUSLY...

I know Dan personally. He's a friend of mine. His online personality and his real life personality are completely different -- he's a cool dude and not much of a prick at all. He's only an ass hole online for entertainment and amusement purposes.

I don't care if he stays banned or not, just thought I would shed some light on the situation so people don't go acting the fool and demonizing folk.
I don't know Dan in person, I only know Bainbridgeshred, so if he's got a split personality then the one I know is a complete dick. I'm fairly inclined to believe Dan's online presonality is more closely related to his real personality that people who "know him" don't see because of the inhibitions related in face to face contact.

Whatever. Doesn't matter, he's banned until some as yet undetermined time. Let's just say I'm doing it "for entertainment and amusement purposes".
Old Skool

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Post by Anz » 30 Apr 2006 04:07

Entertainment is good.

Please unban Dan - he makes my day every once in a while with his ridiculous posts. :lol:

Samurai
4square Warrior

Post by Samurai » 30 Apr 2006 11:34

SPLINT should NOT BE in a position of power.
Shreddaily wrote:
Started with sparse low lines, built intensity with rythmic variety, went to 16th note lines in high register, than went to octives, than block chords for my last chorus... If you understood that last sentance than you should be playing music and not checking the internet.

Samurai
4square Warrior

Post by Samurai » 30 Apr 2006 11:35

DUDE, you did a survery if DAN should be banned or not and you were OUTVOTED!!! IDIOT! Why make a poll? You had already decided. GOD DAMNIT BRAD YOU PISS ME OFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Shreddaily wrote:

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 30 Apr 2006 17:11

Samurai wrote:DUDE, you did a survery if DAN should be banned or not and you were OUTVOTED!!! IDIOT! Why make a poll? You had already decided. GOD DAMNIT BRAD YOU PISS ME OFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Modified isn't a democracy. You agreed to the terms and conditions when you signed up.

Guest_2
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Guest_2 » 30 Apr 2006 18:08

Iron Clad Ben wrote:
Samurai wrote:DUDE, you did a survery if DAN should be banned or not and you were OUTVOTED!!! IDIOT! Why make a poll? You had already decided. GOD DAMNIT BRAD YOU PISS ME OFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Modified isn't a democracy. You agreed to the terms and conditions when you signed up.
Actually man, it pretty much is a democracy. It's FUBU and a lot of the decisions made are based upon surveys and such filled out by members. The reason Dan is banned is because he's so ridiculously abusive to others and is seen as a problem

shreddaily
Flower Child

Post by shreddaily » 30 Apr 2006 19:03

Nagasake wrote:...not much of a prick at all...
Thats about how I would describe him too. When I hung out with him I hardly felt the urge to punch him in the face... Hardly.

I think there should be more banning. Anyone can post garbage but to be banned is truely an honor. We need a banned Hall of fame!

sampotter
the boy who lived

Post by sampotter » 30 Apr 2006 19:28

When did you meet Dan, Nate?

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 30 Apr 2006 20:48

Actually Dan was banned because he made some posts threatning violence against another member. Those threats consisted of:

"I will kick your ass (if we meet in person)" "I will kick your ass (like your father should have)" and "I will bloody your face". These "threats" were made in a fairly unserious topic and in my opinion from reading those it was quite clear that they weren't serious threats at all.

I definitely think he should be unbanned. The only times I think members should be banned is when they're people who don't have any connecting with footbag and are consistantly breaking the forum rules. Or the continued use of short suspensions when genuine members continue to break the rules when they are warned not to and when the moderators have made a legitimate effort to actually deal with the situation. A legitimate effort is not sending somebody a pm saying "Grow up you immature dick and start posting like an adult or I will ban you". As far as I know neither of the moderator/admins who were involved with Dan getting banned made that kind of effort - although to be fair part of the reason for that was because Dan's ability to PM had been removed. The actions taken against Dan - in my opinion - have worked to alienate him and have exasabated the problem. Using force to make somebody do what you want never works - and this is a perfect example of this. You see the same thing at all forums - over zealous moderators make far more problems than lazy moderators.

sampotter
the boy who lived

Post by sampotter » 30 Apr 2006 21:03

Jeremy wrote:"I will kick your ass (like your father should have)"
:lol: Classic Dan!

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 30 Apr 2006 21:22

Splint wrote: In addition, it's quite fuckin' obvious that he didn't find Jesus in his Juvee cell block a couple of months ago. He was all "ladida god is great and I repent" bullshit, and now he's back to his same old shit. Damn, I hate being right.
I find this statement to be offensive, and invasive of someone's personal information. There is no need to post very personal details of someone's life on a public forum. I don't like or dislike Dan, because I've never met him. But completely seperate from the Dan issue, I find comments like these to be insolent, unprofessional, and fall into the 'abuse of power' category.

Revealing personal details of someone's life on a public forum, joking about it, bragging and cussing is point-blank deplorable behavior for a moderator/admin.

james_dean
space cowboy

Post by james_dean » 30 Apr 2006 21:41

Dan revealed those himself, splint is just rehashing.

"It's a punk one!" - Auntie Val, after being shown a spikey footbag

Bloggy

Challenge

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 30 Apr 2006 21:52

Still inexcusable in my opinion. Re-hashing something from a post Dan put up a month ago, where a lot of people may not have seen it is revealing to those who haven't seen it. Either way, you're stating very personal details of someone's life. Also, if I recall the post, I don't remember Dan actually giving those details, but mearly stating it as a possibility. That's neither here nor there though. Again, I find the content, tone, and unprofessionalism of that comment offensive coming from an admin.
J. Chris "Thread-killer" Miller