Take back Modified

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.
Samurai
4square Warrior

Take back Modified

Post by Samurai » 30 Apr 2006 11:41

MOD edits have gone too far. People are tripping off their power. Imposing their moral wills on other people. I made a post about vaporizors called "too all smokers of anything" so that people could be healthier to play footbag. SPLIT moded it saying that it was about illegal substances. EVEN IF IT HAD BEEN SPECIFICALLY about that, It is still benificial information. But, it wasnt about that, it was about smoking anything. And yet, he came in and made a decision that it shouldnt be there. I made a decision to share that information and he has NO RIGHT to take that away. Obviously he has the means to though.

Which is why I want to appeal to all of you guys. THIS FORUM HAS TOO MUCH CENSORSHIP NOW. IT USED TO BE FREE! Look how it is gradually turning into a footbag.org. We used to be different! WE USED TO BE FREE! Is that something you are ready to give up? I really hope not.
Shreddaily wrote:
Started with sparse low lines, built intensity with rythmic variety, went to 16th note lines in high register, than went to octives, than block chords for my last chorus... If you understood that last sentance than you should be playing music and not checking the internet.

Samurai
4square Warrior

Post by Samurai » 30 Apr 2006 11:43

Here is the list of mods:

Wolfpac444

BalinorNZ
C-Fan
Erik Chan
Juana
Matt Cross
Moxie
Splint
Shreddaily wrote:
Started with sparse low lines, built intensity with rythmic variety, went to 16th note lines in high register, than went to octives, than block chords for my last chorus... If you understood that last sentance than you should be playing music and not checking the internet.

brinard
Flower Child

Post by brinard » 30 Apr 2006 11:47

i feel that dan being banned and that thread being edited or whatever happend to it is too much. i had my old sig deleted cause it said coke in it. like coca cola. that was stupid to me, but i didnt bitch cause it didnt really hurt anyone. but all this is too much. what about freedom of speech. sam didnt ever say ( vaporize your weed, and this is how). man, this is an online forum. why cant we even talk about what we do in our recreational time. i smoke. so what. ban me for it.

Samurai
4square Warrior

Post by Samurai » 30 Apr 2006 11:49

and Jer, the admin... ok lets see

Wolfpac444

Although I dont agree so much with im on the "gay" issue. (although I also don't disagree so much either.) He is willing to hear people out and to accept differences of oppinion. He is levelheaded and in control of his emotions. He is one of the few people that I've met who I do not think is corruptable by power.

BalinorNZ - I didn't know he was a moderator, haven't seen him do much. Not much knowledge here.

C-Fan - Ken S posts in his blog...

Erik Chan - Not on much, got all up on the put your name in your sig thing.

Juana - Jane is never on anymore. Why is she a mod?

Matt Cross - Havn't seen him mod much.

Moxie - She's an alright moderator. Sometimes I think she goes to far, but she is definatly reasonable.

Splint - This guy is TRIPPING on power. He thinks he is just right and gets offended like everyone else who he claims to resent. (dan cough) HE SHOULD NOT BE AN ADMIN OR A MODERATOR.

--------

So, these are my oppinions. But, what can we do? If I was a moderator, I would just delete spam and stuff. I would go with the will of the people. But, I don't expect to be made a mod. And really, that's not my goal here.

My top concern is that modified used to feel a lot free-er to me, and now it seems oppressive because of the will of a few people.

Please, can we change this?

That's all for now.
Shreddaily wrote:

Samurai
4square Warrior

Post by Samurai » 30 Apr 2006 11:50

Thanks Brian!
Shreddaily wrote:

Samurai
4square Warrior

Post by Samurai » 30 Apr 2006 11:57

Here's my first step.

http://www.modified.in/footbag/viewtopi ... highlight=

Should SPLINT have his MOD power taken away?
Shreddaily wrote:

Splint
Angry Hippy

Post by Splint » 30 Apr 2006 13:05

Since we're in the discussion section, I'd say we can go at it if you really want to make this whole think public Sam.

You are a an immature dick. You obviously didn't watch your own little video if you couldn't tell that it was ALL ABOUT SMOKING WEED. You are the whiniest little bitch on the whole forum and you don't have a fucking clue about shit. I could let Dan and Damon start all their shit all over again and you'd still be on top.
"FREEDOM, FREEDOM Aaahhhhh I'm being repressed." Feel free to send people to other sites if they want to talk about how high they get all the time. It's not necessary to have those types of discussions on a footbag forum.

Also, you have paid absolutely no attention to any of the administrative issues that have come up over the years.

Jer is no longer on modified...at all. He dropped off over a year ago.

Mike and I are admins. Moxie, Juana, Erik, Matt, Ken, and Balinorz are all moderators.

This forum is still much more free than .org.

You wanna go immature. I can play that way too. You're on.
Old Skool

Samurai
4square Warrior

Post by Samurai » 30 Apr 2006 13:37

Fuck you.
Shreddaily wrote:

Samurai
4square Warrior

Post by Samurai » 30 Apr 2006 13:41

I wasn't talking about how high anyone gets all the time. And yes, I did watch the video with it's little POT-TV logo on the bottom corner. But that doesn't change the fact that I was trying to share some information that would improve people's health. And then you come in and censor it out.

Then you edit my poll that I made. Like nothing. You are abusing your power and shouldn't have any.

What do you have to say to that?
Shreddaily wrote:

Samurai
4square Warrior

Post by Samurai » 30 Apr 2006 13:51

There's nothing I can say that would quantify how much I loathe you right now Brad Kaplan. It's pointless to call you names or yell at you with caps. I hate the way you act and I hate how you push your morals on me. I wish I was within arms reach of you.
Shreddaily wrote:

HooD
HoodluM

Post by HooD » 30 Apr 2006 15:23

Splint wrote:You wanna go immature. I can play that way too. You're on.
That is just nonsense, you're the admin, you know not to be immature about things of this nature. Half the time I never even understand what Sam is raving on and on about, but there is no reason to go away from your own level because of it. I think most of the power delegation on here is fine, mistakes are made here and there, boohoo, lets all suck it up. Most of the time a 'mistake' is just someone elses opinion or misunderstanding so don't worry about it. That is bringing me to my other point.
Samurai wrote:I wish I was within arms reach of you.
That is just nonsense, a fellow freestyler. Don't go throwing around petty comments with petty threats. I usually like to just stay out of the way of online arguements or disagreements because they are just miscommunications that aren't really seen between a couple people and they stay 'online'. With that said, don't say that "arms reach of you" unless you want to hug a footbagger, if not, you are deserving of a bitch slap right back.
More C4 please <3

Guest_2
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Guest_2 » 30 Apr 2006 16:19

I think you're a really cool guy Sam, and I admire your work greatly.

But this is really fucking immature

Samurai
4square Warrior

Post by Samurai » 30 Apr 2006 17:41

I feel that Splint is the one being immature.
Shreddaily wrote:

Kyle Hewitt
something more funny

Post by Kyle Hewitt » 30 Apr 2006 20:04

I feel you both are being pretty stupid IMO

I still don't think it was that smart of you posting a topic about getting high when this fourm is mainly about footbag and other things besides new ways of getting high =/

So my advice to you both is....... Make up be friends and Shred!

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 30 Apr 2006 20:39

Splint wrote:
This forum is still much more free than .org.
I completely disagree with this. There is very little moderation at the .org forum - I've seen more complaints recently that the forum is not moderated enough rather than it being too moderated.

I agree that the moderation on this forum is too heavy handed. My approach as a mod has always been to approach the people who I have a problem with and to try to work out a solution without using my moderating powers in private. Only when they refuse to understand or co-operate would I use my powers. Unfortuantly it on modified it became apparant that there are a number of mods that don't have the same approach I have and I felt like I was being completely underminded and couldn't get my point across about who owns the forum and that being a moderator is a job and not a reward or a chance to use your power over other people. I also have a lot less time than I had when I started being a moderator - hence my resignation last week as a moderator on this forum.

I think much of the problem is that for a long time there was a small number of mods who knew how each other operated and had what I thought were very good policies about moderation - then a number of new moderators were introduced who used their powers the way they personally thought they should be used - rather than making group decisions etc.

sampotter
the boy who lived

Post by sampotter » 30 Apr 2006 21:25

I agree completely with Jeremy. I have been an active member of forums for a long time, and have been a moderator myself at times. Forums function best when there is little moderating, and that moderation powers are used in the manner indicated by Jeremy.

Lately there has been a lot of active moderation dealing with the likes of offensive words. This is a very, very bad way to approach moderation. The more you actively and publicly moderate inconsequential matters, the more openings you give the user base of the forum and the more grounded they will be in their discontentment with the moderation. Instead, in this case, if you let the problem persist and then privately contact certain continuous offenders and let them know that there's a problem, you avoid conflict and are more effective at moderation. This is just one example.

By and large modified has a very self-managing group of posters. There are many members who will point out to newbies the problems with posting dozens of weed topics, there is a blatant disclaimer on the discussion board, and really, when it comes to the actual footbag forum, some of the only moderation that even needs to be done is the relocation of topics for logical and archiving purposes. Let's keep it to that. I do NOT understand why we have as many moderators as we do. Jeremy is completely correct with his points.

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Post by Tsiangkun » 30 Apr 2006 21:57

This place has been moderated a lot more lately, than ever before in the past. I guess in this post 9-11 world, people with power feel obligated to use it.

Splint
Angry Hippy

Post by Splint » 01 May 2006 02:18

Samurai wrote:I wasn't talking about how high anyone gets all the time. And yes, I did watch the video with it's little POT-TV logo on the bottom corner. But that doesn't change the fact that I was trying to share some information that would improve people's health. And then you come in and censor it out.

Then you edit my poll that I made. Like nothing. You are abusing your power and shouldn't have any.

What do you have to say to that?
Well, I'll start by saying that if your true intention was 100% only to improve everyone's health then you probably have some lack of knowledge in the area of distinguishing between appropriate and inappropriate topics on health issues. Perhaps it would have been more beneficial to the community if you had posted scientific studies about the effects of smoking tobacco and marijuana on the lungs.

Next I should say that your poll was a direct attack on me in response to a fairly simple editing that could have been resolved without you pming me:
Samurai wrote:dude wtf moding my shit

fuck you

it wasnt even specifically about mary J

fucking POWER TRIP dude

GAY*!
Especially since it WAS specifically about mary J and had nothing to do with a power trip. As a matter of fact I think the power trip was all yours. You totally overreacted. It might be a med thing, I don't know.

You're right though. I should not have edited your poll. My bad. I'll be in NY next week if you want to take a little drive to get within arm's reach of me.
Old Skool

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Post by Anz » 01 May 2006 07:59

lol man, if you don't like the admin, put up your own forum then.

There is no POWER on an internet forum. You can't be forced to do anything.

WoW is bad, m'kay? :lol:

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 02 May 2006 17:46

ana_ali wrote:lol man, if you don't like the admin, put up your own forum then.

There is no POWER on an internet forum. You can't be forced to do anything.
Ya. Buzz off if you don't like it. Everyone on this forum is free to do the same.

As moderators on a internet forum, we don't have to do shit, or respect shit. If we were jerks, and edited people's posts to say things like, "P.S.: I'm a stupid asshole" and otherwise abused other users, the repercussion would be that people would eventually leave the forum and the numbers would dwindle and the forum would become stagnant. The desire for that not to happen is the only thing we really answer to. However, I believe that all the mods on this forum are generally nice, friendly, welcoming, and respectful of other users, simply because that's the kind of people we are, and we love footbag and helping others enjoy and experience it.

So, accept that, as a whole, the moderating team here on modified is nice, helpful, welcoming, reasonable, understanding, accessible, and working pro-bono. If you don't like it, fuck off and find someplace else that you like better.

If a moderator does something like edit your poll to reflect negatively on you because this is a special circumstance, and you've made a terrible stink of our discussion forum lately... well, good luck with this coup you're working on. I think a more effective plan of action might be to fuck off and find someplace else you like better.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa