Emily’s request to stop being attacked

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.
shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 17 Nov 2006 23:03

yawn
J. Chris "Thread-killer" Miller

Dat
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Dat » 18 Nov 2006 10:51

Please grow up Chris. I understand where you're coming from, but I doubt doing all this has made you happy. You could have done things so much more simply, effectively and tactfully, without exiling yourself. You need to learn how to communicate and deal with these sorts of problems better before you end up bitter and lonely.
Dat Phan
-

CL: openFrameworks

Splint
Angry Hippy

Post by Splint » 19 Nov 2006 03:09

Dated November 13th, 2006
shredzilla wrote:This will be my last post here, because I no longer enjoy this forum for communicating in a public way to other footbaggers. The only reason I'm even posting is just to give light to why I will no longer post here.
Dated November 15th, 2006
shredzilla wrote:I have to say something in my defense. Emily's bringing you only one side of the story, and she just wants everyone to feel sorry for her for being attacked by the big bad Shredzilla...
Dated November 17th, 2006
shredzilla wrote:HHAHAHA sorry Fletch, you walked right into that one buddy :twisted:
Dated November 18th, 2006
shredzilla wrote:yawn

Hypocrite.

Just once I think it would be great if one person would post a farewell and stay farewelled. I mean you didn't even last but 2 days. That's ego baby. What's the point of coming back? I didn't hear any fanfare when you left. No request for an encore. Be gone with you. Don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you.

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 20 Nov 2006 07:26

Dat wrote:Please grow up Chris. I understand where you're coming from, but I doubt doing all this has made you happy. You could have done things so much more simply, effectively and tactfully, without exiling yourself. You need to learn how to communicate and deal with these sorts of problems better before you end up bitter and lonely.
Thanks Dat! Do you wanna be my friend? Lol.
J. Chris "Thread-killer" Miller

Torch
Shredaholic

Post by Torch » 28 Nov 2006 18:40

I will try not to digress, but I've never been one to make promises.

I remember when modified first came on the scene. I didn't post or even sign up for a long time. Reading it was amusing enough. There has always been a fair amount of ignorant and insulting comments. It's kind of like the Jerry Springer show sometimes. Not much has changed as far as I can tell, and, at this rate, I doubt it ever will. I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand I need entertainment. On the other hand I know that new players, both male and female, will find this site and I don't think that the way it is now is setting a very good image for footbag.

IMO you should do one of two things. One or the other.

Option 1- No more Mods. No censorship whatsoever or at least keep it at the bare minimum. Free for all discussions. If you don't like it then fuck off. (Not recommended)

Option 2- Get rid of any forums that have nothing to do with footbag. Is there really a need for the dozens of threads about pot smoking, religion and politics? Anybody who talks shit or says anything offensive should be banned for a healthy period of time. (Recommended)

Anything in between will only lead to endless discussions such as this one, which, giving the state of things, is much needed. It is sad, however, that this is the state of things, and topics like this should not be needed.

I remember footbag before modified, and in retrospect, it was a much better scene. A number of people who post on here are simply pathetic.
Ahren Gehrman

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 28 Nov 2006 19:20

in this case
quantity>quality
Pete Bowler
B$C
keeps it offah da ground.

617 FOR LIFE

Splint
Angry Hippy

Post by Splint » 28 Nov 2006 19:39

Torch wrote:I remember footbag before modified, and in retrospect, it was a much better scene. A number of people who post on here are simply pathetic.
I remember footbag before modified as well. I won't go so far as to say it was better, but there are definitely some things about those days that were better.

For instance, everyone spent more time playing. The list-serve was fun but the replies weren't instant and not many people fished around in the archives. Now it's a whole different ball game. You can spend your entire shred time fuckin around on the forum and never get a kick in. Even so the quality of play has dramatically increased over the years because everyone has a larger community of people to pull from and watch videos of.
The smallness of the community required a lot more comradery in those days as well. I think everyone worked really hard no to piss people off. On the forums these days, no one really cares (myself included). Part of it is that I don't have patience for stupid people and the other part is that I expect that the smart ones understand the difference between an online persona and the real person.

There are a lot of positives to the forums though.

The forums have created a way for players to keep in regular contact on a greater scale. Finding people to kick with in other areas of the world is much easier now than it was before. All the people you meet at tournaments have either started on or show up on modified eventually. I'm arguably the Biggest Dick In Freestyle and I have still managed to meet people around here who actually like me when we meet face to face (it's okay, you don't have to admit to it).

I'll tell you what the forums have really done. It's given a place for the common folk in footbag to have a place within and without the circle. One of the things I always hated about footbag were the clicks... and BAP was really it. I don't think I've heard the word BAP in over a year and I think the forums have had a lot to do with it. The community grew and the player level grew and the distaste for having a Big Add Posse grew as well. It became obsolete. Whether it still exists or not, I have no idea, but the fact that it never gets mentioned or hangs out there as a thing for everyone to strive for is a good thing for the community of footbag. I'm not an idiot, though (mostly) and I realize that there are still the elite players who never post on forums and everyone wants to play liek them and hang out with them and lick their lavers and whatever else, but the larger community has found a place to be it's own and come into it's own.

I think all the arguing is stupid, but the fact is, that most of it happens in the kicking circle and is not footbag related. If people want to discuss footbag and give props and figure out all the nuances of footbag then the majority of the forum is dedicated to that with very little moderation.
Freeness of opinions and being called out for blatant stupidity are fair game in the discussion section. My stance is that you can either take it or you can't. If you can, check your ego at the door, if you can't then don't come into these sections where us rabble rousers hang out. We're all part of the community, like it or not and the best thing about modified is that there is a place for everyone here... (except Shredzilla :wink: just kidding)

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Post by Slowsis » 30 Nov 2006 15:28

Great post....I agree with 95% of it, except this part. At least half of the top 10 players on earth (IMO) post right here on modified on a weekly basis.
Splint wrote: and I realize that there are still the elite players who never post on forums
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog