Heros; Fantastic Essay by Philip Zimbardo

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.
Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Heros; Fantastic Essay by Philip Zimbardo

Post by Jeremy » 16 Apr 2007 04:57

Long essay, but definitely worth the read :)

If you can't be bothered reading it, don't bother posting :P

http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/zimbard ... index.html

--------

Introduction by Russell Weinberger

In the summer of 1971, Philip Zimbardo and his team of reseachers at Stanford University designed and conducted a landmark psychology experiment that would forever change our understanding of human behavior. 24 volunteer college students were randomly assigned to roles of prisoners or guards in a mock prison located in the basement of the psychology building at the university. The results were shocking. Within days, the "guards" turned authoritarian and sadistic while the "prisoners" became passive and started to show signs of severe depression. What was supposed to be a 2 week experiment had to be shut down after only six days.

Known simply as the Stanford Prison Experiment, Zimbardo's study is one of the most famous experiments in social psychology and remains, along with Stanley Milgram's famous obedience experiments, one of the most shocking. But that was just the beginning of the story.

The results of Zimbardo’s study were clear: human nature is malleable and the wrong situation can bring out the worst in most people. But what of the exception? What of the individual who does not succumb to the influence of environment and fights the powers that be?

Edge sat down with Zimbardo to discuss his latest thinking on the nature of heroism, where it comes from, and how it can be fostered.

— RW

PHILIP ZIMBARDO is Professor Emeritus of Psychology at Stanford University. He is a founder of the National Center for the Psychology of Terrorism, and creator and co-director of The Shyness Clinic.

----------

THE HEROIC IMAGINANATION

PHILIP ZIMBARDO: One of the questions I’ve been asking myself is, Is there a counterpart to Hannah Arendt’s classical analysis of evil in terms of her phrase “the banality of evil.â€

Colin
Flower Child

Re: Heros; Fantastic Essay by Philip Zimbardo

Post by Colin » 17 Apr 2007 15:42

Allow me to summerize:

Heriosm is having the courage to do the right thing even when it goes against the grain. Can this behavior be fostered simultaniously with respect for authority and boundries?

Feel free to post now. I'm pretty sure I hit all the major points.
Colin Kennedy
ckennedy@footbag.org

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 17 Apr 2007 17:55

Well if you don't read the essay, you're really missing out on the argument. I would prefer people without the time/attention span to read 4000 words don't bother posting at all.

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 17 Apr 2007 19:58

I gave up on reading it once I saw that he threw away his experiment and all the peoples time that had gone into it just so he could keep getting laid. If the experiment were cruel the people involved (prisoners) would have voiced opposition.

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 17 Apr 2007 20:30

I gave up on reading it once I saw that he threw away his experiment and all the peoples time that had gone into it just so he could keep getting laid
That's what I thought. Gaming on his graduate students lmao

I actually thought Colin did an alright job summing it up. It really didn't contain anything that radical in it or anything. Interesting, but yes, hero's are rare and far and few between. It's why no one got the bright idea of waiting by the doorway and side swiping the little Korean kid going around to classrooms shooting people up for 2 hours while the pigs waited around and set up a perimeter outside. It's the same idealogy of atom-bomb drillings, "Get behind you're desk, and the radiation/semi-automatic weapon won't get you". Yeah I know it's a fucked up situation when you're in it and hard to think clearly, but I'm not letting someone come in and treat me like a bitch and stop me from learning my German. 2 hours he was going around spraying classrooms up. 2 hours.

Splint
Angry Hippy

Post by Splint » 18 Apr 2007 20:27

I haven't read it.
Old Skool

Caleb
Fearless

Post by Caleb » 24 Apr 2007 18:58

It's why no one got the bright idea of waiting by the doorway and side swiping the little Korean kid going around to classrooms shooting people up for 2 hours while the pigs waited around and set up a perimeter outside. It's the same idealogy of atom-bomb drillings, "Get behind you're desk, and the radiation/semi-automatic weapon won't get you". Yeah I know it's a fucked up situation when you're in it and hard to think clearly, but I'm not letting someone come in and treat me like a bitch and stop me from learning my German. 2 hours he was going around spraying classrooms up. 2 hours.
*Sigh* I really hoped no one was going to bring it up in this thread but sure enough......It really urks me when someone talks about "Why didn't anyone retaliate against the attacker." or "I wouldn't let them do that to me." Have you even seen someone point a gun at you or hold a gun with malicious intent? Odds are, probably not. So you have no idea whether you would've shit your pants or kung fu kicked him in the face. (And that is a general "you" not a specific attack at Dan so there's no need to get offended or retaliate.) And it's borderline insulting to the people who were killed or held hostage in that specific incident. If only they were as brave as everyone else who wasn't in that hostage situation, everything would've turned out just fine. Right? Coincidentally, those people just pussed out for a second. Get a grip, what makes you special enough to snatch a gun from someone? Odds are probably nothing, so don't try it because it could end up very bad (Again, general "you"). I HOPE if I were in the situation I were brave enough to help the people around me but I can't say how I would react.

As for the essay, it was an interesting read but I agree with Dan when he said there was nothing groundbreaking in it. Thanks for posting it though. I enjoyed it.
Steel City Freestyle

Caleb Abraham

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 24 Apr 2007 22:14

Have you even seen someone point a gun at you or hold a gun with malicious intent? Odds are, probably not.
*Sigh* I was hoping no one was going to bring this up :wink:

Point: If someone would've retaliated many lives would have been saved. My animal instincts tell me to fight back, not hope a thin plastic desk is going to stop a bullet. Cut the Korean off at the doorway and blindside him. This passivity in school shootings leads to more school shootings.