Barak Obama

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.
BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 23 May 2007 20:14

Here's why I'm voting for him:

[quote]Southern New Hampshire University Commencement Ceremony in Manchester, NH.

As prepared for delivery by Barack Obama

Good morning, President LeBlanc, the Board of Trustees, faculty, parents, family, friends, and the Class of 2007. Congratulations on your graduation, and thank you for allowing me the honor to be a part of it.

I also want to thank Southern New Hampshire University for this honorary doctor of laws degree. I ended up paying for my first law degree for years and years, so for all of you with visions of law school, I’d consider running for President and then waiting for a commencement invite instead – it’s much cheaper.

There is a verse from the Bible that is sometimes read or recited during rites of passage like this. Corinthians 13:11: “When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I felt as a child, I thought as a child. Now that I have become a man, I have put away childish things.â€

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 23 May 2007 21:42

Great speech, I really liked it.

That said, one of the biggest criticisms of Obama is that he's masterful at inspiring people, but does not have much in the way of actual, concrete policy proposals. That may or may not be true, but I think there is value in the ability to inspire people, and that many pundits unfairly discount this.

Switch Kicker
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Switch Kicker » 24 May 2007 05:34

HighDemonslayer wrote:Ban the sale or transfer of all forms of semi-automatic weapons.
Good.
HighDemonslayer wrote:Increase state restrictions on the purchase and possession of firearms.
Good.
HighDemonslayer wrote:Require manufacturers to provide child-safety locks with firearms.
Good.

I really don't give a shit if the guy voted for tax inreases, gun control, or abortion rights ect ect (Insert standard Liberal issue here)
Damn skippy. Gun control is a must. Abortion should be a woman's right. And if anything, we NEED more taxes. And that is not sarcasm.
BainbridgeShred wrote:
Sounds like the definition of a shallow, un-informed voter.
You sound like your pussy's hurt.
I'm crying. That's hilarious.

Dave Da
Shredaholic

Post by Dave Da » 24 May 2007 06:41

He is a gimmick.

He is a legitimate canidate for a year and a half in advance because the Demcratic party cannot run a campaign. He is an ultra left wing politician who has a positive image. As far as democratic canidates neither Obama or Hilary Clinton will be the front runner come October/November of '08. Howard Dean was the same way in '04. He was a front runner up until a few month before.

Late next year John Edwards will be on top of the dems.
DAVID M. DAVIS

In life footbag is always there for you.

HighDemonslayer
Egyptian Footgod

Post by HighDemonslayer » 25 May 2007 11:54

At last ,somebody else quoted Obama............. but like you said, concrete policy is nowhere to be found.

But when I post an excerpt or two...then you act like immature 5 year olds.

However, your rabid support for his positions (few though, were posted here, unless you dug deeper elsewhere), totally proves my earlier assumption about him being far-left.

And really , what should the common person think, when exposed to so much empty, yet inspiring rhetoric?

Exorcise the ghostly figure that haunts black dreams:

If the language, the humor, the stories of ordinary people were the stuff out of which families, communities, economies would have to be built, then I couldn't separate that strength from the hurt and distortions that lingered around us. And it was the implications of that fact, I realized, that had most disturbed me. The stories that I had been hearing from the leadership, all the records of courage and sacrifice and overcoming of great odds, hadn't simply arisen from struggles with pestilence or drought, or mere poverty. They had arisen out of a very particular experience with hate. That hate hadn't gone away; it formed a counter-narrative buried deep within each person and at the center of which stood white people-some cruel, some ignorant, sometimes a single face, sometimes just a faceless image of a system claiming power over our lives. I had to ask myself whether the bonds of community could be restored without collectively exorcising that ghostly figure that haunted black dreams.
Source: Dreams from My Father, by Barack Obama, p.179 Aug 1, 1996
Here is a quote from Obama's book, and I wonder just what he means by "exorcising that ghostly figure".

I mostly think that last section has a more noble implication than a critic might assume.

I would like to see the full texts of those two books, not just the acceptable excerpts posted online. Does anybody have those two books?
I'll take a look at the bookstore next time, or pick up a copy if they are only 99 cents.

Dave da said:
He is a gimmick.

He is a legitimate canidate for a year and a half in advance because the Demcratic party cannot run a campaign. He is an ultra left wing politician who has a positive image. As far as democratic canidates neither Obama or Hilary Clinton will be the front runner come October/November of '08. Howard Dean was the same way in '04. He was a front runner up until a few month before.

Late next year John Edwards will be on top of the dems.

I would give the Dems more credit than that. There timing is generally well planned, Hillary is careful not to expose her complete lack of speaking skills. Obama is the perfect tool for Hillary.Anyone who doesn't vote for the Hillary/Obama ticket, as a way of supporting Obama......can be portrayed a white-robed,KKK racist.

-n
Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

-----------------------------------
-nathan

HighDemonslayer
Egyptian Footgod

Post by HighDemonslayer » 25 May 2007 11:57

Clarification:
Bainbridge Shred was the one who posted big quote/speech. Not C-Fan, whom I might have implied.

-n
Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

-----------------------------------
-nathan