What do you believe but can't prove?

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.
BenRea
modiphile

Post by BenRea » 04 Feb 2008 16:58

i believe white and black are colors. (not talking about race.)

screw artists who claim they arent.
Ben Rea

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 04 Feb 2008 17:11

Yeah I agree with that. While I understand the point being made about colours, I think in non technical general language, they're clearly colours. As in if somebody says; "What colour is your computer?" I think "black" is an entirely acceptable answer. In fact even in art, I think it's acceptable to call them colours. The only time when it isn't is when you're specifically talking about frequencies of light from a physical sciences perspective. If you're not using them in that context, they're colours!

james_dean
space cowboy

Post by james_dean » 07 Feb 2008 02:25

No he's definately wrong. They're clearly colours... ;)

On a side note, about a month ago I read in the paper scientist's have created a substance 13 times darker than the current standard of "black". Some combination of molecular structure, jagged edging and facing outwards in a certain way to reflect as little light as possible. Crazy style.

I believe I'm eating the best meal in the world right now. I can't prove it, but damn do I believe it...

"It's a punk one!" - Auntie Val, after being shown a spikey footbag

Bloggy

Challenge

Blue_turnip
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Blue_turnip » 08 Feb 2008 21:31

james_dean wrote: On a side note, about a month ago I read in the paper scientist's have created a substance 13 times darker than the current standard of "black". Some combination of molecular structure, jagged edging and facing outwards in a certain way to reflect as little light as possible. Crazy style.
Yeah but we wouldn't be able to see it as being any darker than it is, because black is what our mind puts in the image where no light is recieved.
Oliver Adams

BenRea
modiphile

Post by BenRea » 10 Feb 2008 10:01

james_dean wrote:They're clearly colours... ;)
type "colour" into wikipedia.

it corrects it to "color"

I win.
Ben Rea

james_dean
space cowboy

Post by james_dean » 10 Feb 2008 23:47

Blue_turnip wrote:
james_dean wrote: On a side note, about a month ago I read in the paper scientist's have created a substance 13 times darker than the current standard of "black". Some combination of molecular structure, jagged edging and facing outwards in a certain way to reflect as little light as possible. Crazy style.
Yeah but we wouldn't be able to see it as being any darker than it is, because black is what our mind puts in the image where no light is recieved.
Clearly the black we see is not pure black and reflects light. Have you ever looked at a black object and seen complete nothingness? Did you think before you posted? By 'standard of black' it clearly means 'standard of black we can physically create'.

And just because American's think they own the world doesn't mean they're right ;)

"It's a punk one!" - Auntie Val, after being shown a spikey footbag

Bloggy

Challenge