Vegetarianism lol

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.
Bringerofpie
Fearless

Post by Bringerofpie » 08 Jul 2007 13:16

My sister is a vegetarian. I like a lot of non-meat dishes, but I also like meat. I don't eat ducks because of the baby duckies always walking around outside my house.
"Fuck it man, you just gotta do it."

Joe Snyder

Representing FLF (Fort Lauderdale Footbaggers)

http://onlycountria.myminicity.com

jrstubs
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by jrstubs » 08 Jul 2007 17:18

I could never be a vegetarian - only certain foods give me a euphoria - and those certain foods are meat. How do you think I got fat. If only there was something else that would give me a euphoria, like music or something, then I could stop being fat. Plus depression doesn't help.

sanuke okumatzu
Fearless

Post by sanuke okumatzu » 09 Jul 2007 08:54

Sex
As the universe is curved, there cannot be a straight answer...

-Robert Baker-

jrstubs
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by jrstubs » 09 Jul 2007 12:20

the age of consent in ny is 17 :lol:

sanuke okumatzu
Fearless

Post by sanuke okumatzu » 09 Jul 2007 12:36

So? It's not illegal unless you get caught.

-Robert Baker-

HG
^^^^^pwn3d

Post by HG » 09 Jul 2007 18:45

you know what Sanuke says "Get there before the hair!"
JSACK wrote:alright well me and obara'bars, shredded our dicks off, since we are both in high school, obviously there is some sort of talent show

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 09 Jul 2007 19:50

I agree that a well planned diet, vegetarian or otherwise is a key to being healthy. I did not mean to say that a vegetarian diet, no matter how ill-conceived is healthier than an omnivorous diet. However, there are a benefits to well a planned vegetarian diet and you can get all the nutrition your body needs without eating meat.

There are plenty of vegetarians out there who just eat pizza, oreos and diet coke every day. They are not much better off (if at all) than people who frequently eat fast food.

What I'm sick of are the urban myths that vegetarians are all scrawny, malnourished and don't get enough protein. There are some, they don't plan their diet well! The fact is that when it comes down it, all the nutrition you need can be found in plant life (with the exception of vitamin B12, which is found in the ground, omnivores get it naturally because they eat animals which eat dirt or plants that grow in dirt). Animals ARE NOT magical protein and fat factories. The protein they have in them comes from the feed that they eat. They do not conjure it up out of nothingness!~ So, in a well planned vegetarian diet, you can get all the protein, fat, vitamins and other essential nutrients you need!

Furthermore, if we took the world's grain supply that is used as feed for cattle that are raised to be food, we would have more than enough to feed all the starving people in the world.[1] The environmental impact that the meat industry has on the planet is enormous. I think I'm going to make a separate post about the environmental impact of vegetarianism. I started out my latest stint of vegetarianism 2 years ago (had several stints before as a kid for various reasons) for health reasons, but now the environmental reasons are what really drive me, on top of the ethical reasons.

Furthermore I am not a moral crusade. If you love your body and you love the planet, educate yourself, and consider vegetarianism!

1) http://www.ciwf.org/publications/report ... s_Meat.pdf
The world's cattle alone consume a quantity of food equal to the caloric needs of 8.7 billion people—more than the entire human population on Earth.

Blue_turnip
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Blue_turnip » 10 Jul 2007 02:39

Bringerofpie wrote: I don't eat ducks because of the baby duckies always walking around outside my house.
STop making me hungrier than I am. Dinner is in like 30 minutes and Its a struggle to hold off.
Oliver Adams

jrstubs
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by jrstubs » 10 Jul 2007 05:49

We grow our own chickens just for the hell of it. We dont eat them though, when they die (which is usually at night) the other chickens will eat them. WTF. Or since there is a skunk here, if you throw them outside the skunk will eat them :)

sanuke okumatzu
Fearless

Post by sanuke okumatzu » 10 Jul 2007 08:51

I'm calling peta on you

-Robert Baker-

Langstaff
Multidex Master

Post by Langstaff » 12 Jul 2007 20:52

I went vegetarian for like 6 months(Hippy), and ate maybe 15 fruits and vegetables over that span of time. Needless to say, despite my many supplements I felt sick to my stomach almost constantly, and all the wonderful things like Coffee, and Pepsi began to instantly make me heave.

Eventually I broke down and bought a chicken sandwich at Mcdonalds (Quite taxing on my digestive system), and have been eating meat full time since.

That chicken died for I, and probably quite gruesomely.

But damn it was yummy!

And I can drink my Tim Hortons coffee again :) :!: Consumer Whore :!:
Andrew Langstaff

Blue_turnip
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Blue_turnip » 12 Jul 2007 22:15

Langstaff wrote:I went vegetarian for like 6 months(Hippy)
^^ lol noob.

Good to know you came back to the light side again though.
Oliver Adams

sanuke okumatzu
Fearless

Post by sanuke okumatzu » 13 Jul 2007 11:23

I forgot what I was going to say....

Damnit to hell

-Robert Baker-

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Post by Slowsis » 14 Jul 2007 13:19

jrstubs wrote:the age of consent in ny is 17 :lol:
14 in Canada. 8O

The Criminal Code wrote:The Criminal Code does not now criminalize consensual sexual activity with or between persons 14 or over, unless it takes place in a relationship of trust or dependency, in which case sexual activity with persons over 14 but under 18 can constitute an offence, notwithstanding their consent. Even consensual activity with those under 14 but over 12 may not be an offence if the accused is under 16 and less than two years older than the complainant. The exception, of course, is anal intercourse, to which unmarried persons under 18 cannot legally consent, although both the Ontario Court of Appeal(3) and the Quebec Court of Appeal(4) have struck down the relevant section of the Criminal Code.
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog

sanuke okumatzu
Fearless

Post by sanuke okumatzu » 14 Jul 2007 17:21

Canada rules....

Al Gore rules...

Debbie Rogers can kiss me 1/3 American Indian ass

-Robert Baker-

dp
Egyptian Footgod

Post by dp » 14 Jul 2007 17:30

How do you get to be 1/3 native american. Or 1/3 anything for that matter.
Danny P.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 14 Jul 2007 19:52

Slowsis wrote:
jrstubs wrote:the age of consent in ny is 17 :lol:
14 in Canada. 8O

The Criminal Code wrote:The Criminal Code does not now criminalize consensual sexual activity with or between persons 14 or over, unless it takes place in a relationship of trust or dependency, in which case sexual activity with persons over 14 but under 18 can constitute an offence, notwithstanding their consent. Even consensual activity with those under 14 but over 12 may not be an offence if the accused is under 16 and less than two years older than the complainant. The exception, of course, is anal intercourse, to which unmarried persons under 18 cannot legally consent, although both the Ontario Court of Appeal(3) and the Quebec Court of Appeal(4) have struck down the relevant section of the Criminal Code.
Sounds like the same laws in Australia, but I would point out that it's not saying that the age of consent is 14, rather that they won't prosecute. However if you are 12 or above and rape a 14 year old, you could, and probably would be charged with having sex with a minor, and be registered as a paedophile. In fact if you are 14 and had consensual sex with another 14 (or ever 16) year old person who was mentally handicapped, you could easily be charged with statutory rape, sex with an under age person, and a whole host of other charges. This is important to realise, because a person under age does not have a great deal of legal authority over their lives. You could have consensual sex with your 15 year old girlfriend, being 15 yourself, and face serious criminal charges if their parents/guardians don't like you. Of course this is unlikely to occur, but I simply wanted to suggest that believing the legal advice posted on an internet forum (that the age of consent is Canada is 14) would be pretty foolish. Of course you shouldn't believe me either, because I'm talking specifically about Austrlalian laws; you should find out the actual laws for yourself (if you feel like you could be in that situation).

Iron Clad Ben wrote:Furthermore, if we took the world's grain supply that is used as feed for cattle that are raised to be food, we would have more than enough to feed all the starving people in the world.[1] The environmental impact that the meat industry has on the planet is enormous. I think I'm going to make a separate post about the environmental impact of vegetarianism. I started out my latest stint of vegetarianism 2 years ago (had several stints before as a kid for various reasons) for health reasons, but now the environmental reasons are what really drive me, on top of the ethical reasons.

Furthermore I am not a moral crusade. If you love your body and you love the planet, educate yourself, and consider vegetarianism!

1) http://www.ciwf.org/publications/report ... s_Meat.pdf
The world's cattle alone consume a quantity of food equal to the caloric needs of 8.7 billion people—more than the entire human population on Earth.
That's not an argument against eating meat, it's an argument against eating mass farmed cattle.

I could equally put forward an argument that you shouldn't be a vegetarian because of how environmentally destructive the soy industry is, but if you're a vegetarian who doesn't eat any soy products, that argument isn't relevant to you (just like the only beef I eat is locally produced in completely different circumstances to those mentioned in your source.

Texta
Shredaholic

Post by Texta » 14 Jul 2007 23:02

Pork is the greatest argument against vegetarianism and religion that there is. And there's some pretty good arguments out there.

Bringerofpie
Fearless

Post by Bringerofpie » 15 Jul 2007 09:51

I don't like pork.
"Fuck it man, you just gotta do it."

Joe Snyder

Representing FLF (Fort Lauderdale Footbaggers)

http://onlycountria.myminicity.com

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 15 Jul 2007 10:57

Jeremy wrote:
Iron Clad Ben wrote:1) http://www.ciwf.org/publications/report ... s_Meat.pdf
That's not an argument against eating meat, it's an argument against eating mass farmed cattle.

I could equally put forward an argument that you shouldn't be a vegetarian because of how environmentally destructive the soy industry is, but if you're a vegetarian who doesn't eat any soy products, that argument isn't relevant to you (just like the only beef I eat is locally produced in completely different circumstances to those mentioned in your source.
True. But most people in industrialized countries do eat mass farmed cattle. I think that to some degree eating meat from locally grown organic farms is OK, since the environmental impact is minimized and the meat is free of additives such as antibiotics and hormones such as rBGH. So in your case I think you are eating meat in a responsible manner, and I commend you. However, in industrialized countries the vast majority (and sorry I don't have a % statistic here) eat meat from factory farms which for the aforementioned reason are detrimental to both the consumers' health and the health of the planet. I guess someone could do a study, but I think using common sense feasibility wise it would be impossible to have local farms where most people in the world were able to get locally grown organic meat. Economically there's too much money it for meat industry to do it their way faster and cheaper, and with the lobbying power that they have, at least in the USA, it's going to be very hard to break their oligopoly (sp?)

As far as your data on the soy industry being detrimental to the environment I would really like to read an article on that, so please post whatever you have. I recently switched to soy milk from organic cow milk in 2007, mainly for environmental and ethical reasons. Mainly the mistreatment of cattle and environmental effect of all the methane that they produce (if only we could harness it!)

So what I would like to see, is if the environmental impact of soy farming is more detrimental than the effect of cow farming (and we can pro-rate it based on how much of that is for milk vs. meat in order to be fair of course), I will consider switching back. The other option would be to switch to rice milk (and if you have data on rice farming being bad for the environment too, I'd love to see it). Cheers,

Ben