Drugs in footbag

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.
The Rhino
Fearless

Post by The Rhino » 21 Aug 2007 14:50

Thanks but I want to hear it from Lauri

ballsacker
Hack Fiend

Post by ballsacker » 21 Aug 2007 14:51

Lauri wrote:
HXCFOOTBAG wrote:all you guys who are drug free and can shred well, you are the real leaders of the sport.
That sounded pretty ridiculous to me. Then i guess Vasek (6th world championship in a row!) isn't a leader of this sport anyways :(

EDIT: Oh and I really would like to hear where your opinion is based on. You just said something pretty stupid so I want to make a big deal of it.

Well, if I read his post correctly, and I'm pretty sure I did, he wasn't necessarily saying that "real leaders of the sport" is referring to "best players of the sport". I'm sure you knew this though, so I don't mean to be rude by pointing this out....

I think he was referring to the fact that they treat their bodies more as temples and that they are an example for all, an example of success coupled with a really healthy lifestyle.

Marijuana, since it seems this is the main thing brought up in arguments, may not necessarily be very harmful to the body, but it is mind-altering, and can put you in compromising situations. I'm sure everyone has their own experiences with it, but on the whole I'd say that using pot, for me, has more downsides than upsides, especially in the long run.

Drinking, to me, is a complete waste of time. I used to be a social drinker, and I used to occasionally drink til I was completely gone, but as someone who used to drink and smoke (pot and cigarettes), and who also quit it all cold turkey one day a year and a half ago, I have to say quitting was probably the best thing I ever did for myself. I find I sleep better, I feel more energetic and conscious of things all the time now, I feel happier, I'm more focused, I feel way healthier than ever before, and I just am all around better off without those things.

I'm just saying it's not my bag, as I said I don't drink, smoke or use any drugs, etc, but if someone wishes to pursue those activities, I see it as their prerogative. I'll just be sitting on the sidelines :)

Just wanted to share my thoughts...

-Jimmy Ball
My foots getting sleepy....time to footbag.......

Lauri
Fearless

Post by Lauri » 21 Aug 2007 21:22

HXCFOOTBAG wrote:Thanks but I want to hear it from Lauri
Sorry to "disappoint" you again, No he isn't
Lauri Airinen

ObArA'BaRs
Flower Child

Post by ObArA'BaRs » 21 Aug 2007 21:39

Vasek likes Vole-con-o's. :lol:
Im 20
JSACK wrote: wrote:alright well me and obara'bars, shredded our dicks off, since we are both in high school, obviously there is some sort of talent show

Keep footbag'n till yo skins saggin.......

brian relly
fan-tas-tic

Post by brian relly » 21 Aug 2007 21:45

"ju 'ave the vahpohreizer dere?"
esteban barnez
myspace.com/rawcakes
david wrote:I was just sitting here surfing and my mom looks over my shoulder. I had to jab down the down key real quick so she wouldn't see that topic title and question me about what kind of site I was going on.

mohkale
The Mohkale

Post by mohkale » 22 Aug 2007 05:34

Stop posting what illegal stuff other people are doing / have done!

Would you like to read (or have a member of your family to read) about the nasty / illegal stuff you've done?
Matti Pohjola

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 22 Aug 2007 08:24

ballsacker wrote:
Marijuana, since it seems this is the main thing brought up in arguments, may not necessarily be very harmful to the body, but it is mind-altering, and can put you in compromising situations.
Just for your information; the evidence against marijuana is now fairly comprehensive.

In late July The Lancet (one of the worlds most respected medical journal) published research from Cardiff University that showed that even infrequent use of marijuana increased your risk of suffering from mental illness by 40%.

Source;
http://www.newscientist.com/channel/hea ... lness.html

People who use marijuana every day are 300% more likely to suffer from mental illness than people who do not use it at all.

Another study from around the same time from research in New Zealand and published in Thorax has found that smoking one joint is the equivalent to smoking 5 cigarettes.

"Those participants who smoked only marijuana reported wheezing, coughing, chest tightness and phlegm. The researchers found that their smoking habits damaged their lungs and stopped them from functioning properly.

They discovered that the small airways in the lungs of pot smokers had narrowed, meaning less oxygen and waste products could be transported to and from the blood vessels.

They also noted damage to the large airway, which blocked airflow and forced the lungs to work much harder."

Source;

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2007/07/ ... ettes.html

So smoking weed will reduce your fitness; especially your aerobic fitness, and getting high on THC will greatly increase your risk of suffering from a mental illness.

I should mention that I very occasionally smoke weed, but I wanted to be clear that the evidence shows overwhelmingly that there are serious health risks in doing so (which is one of the reasons I smoke so infrequently).

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 22 Aug 2007 08:27

Jeremy wrote:^^^^^
ah man, I'm fucked...
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Mrs. Mauler
Shredalicious

Post by Mrs. Mauler » 22 Aug 2007 09:34

I heard a lot of that medical "stuff" in DARE when I was in 6th grade (which was a really long time ago). Thing is, yeah, you are smoking; it's bad. I'm pretty sure that everyone knows that smoking is bad for you and increases you risk... About the mental illness bit, did the research say whether the subjects had mental illness before they smoked? Were they diagnosed or screened for only people without mental illness and then they smoked and suddenly they were "sick?" (I am really asking this, I'm not trying to be a dick.) In my opinion, which might not mean much to most, I think that the people who suffer from "mental illness" (which really could be everyone these days) find that smoking weed helps them. Or what have you; point being, it may be being used for "medicinal" purposes.
Aidan Clemente

Lauri
Fearless

Post by Lauri » 22 Aug 2007 09:46

And I don't know what your shit talking has to do with the real subject.

I want to hear from Mr. Hxcfootbag some more about what he said earlier about drugs and footbagplayers.

So, please
Lauri Airinen

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 22 Aug 2007 10:43

damn, lauri, did that tank from your avatar run over your toe today or something?
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Lauri
Fearless

Post by Lauri » 22 Aug 2007 11:03

Nah, it represents my will of fighting
Lauri Airinen

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 22 Aug 2007 18:38

Mrs. Mauler wrote:I heard a lot of that medical "stuff" in DARE when I was in 6th grade (which was a really long time ago). Thing is, yeah, you are smoking; it's bad. I'm pretty sure that everyone knows that smoking is bad for you and increases you risk... About the mental illness bit, did the research say whether the subjects had mental illness before they smoked? Were they diagnosed or screened for only people without mental illness and then they smoked and suddenly they were "sick?" (I am really asking this, I'm not trying to be a dick.) In my opinion, which might not mean much to most, I think that the people who suffer from "mental illness" (which really could be everyone these days) find that smoking weed helps them. Or what have you; point being, it may be being used for "medicinal" purposes.
The study was fully aware of the perception that people with mental illnesses may be more likely to smoke weed. While they couldn't find any evidence to support that perception, they did extensive research into the people involved in the study, and broke the results up into people who showed any signs of mental illness before the study, and people who didn't. Both groups showed an increase in risk to suffering further mental illness.
Last edited by Jeremy on 22 Aug 2007 18:39, edited 1 time in total.

The Rhino
Fearless

Post by The Rhino » 22 Aug 2007 18:38

Lauri wrote:I want to hear from Mr. Hxcfootbag some more about what he said earlier about drugs and footbagplayers.

So, please
sure thing.

Obviously Vasek has skill in footbag, skill far beyond most, if not all who have ever tried footbag. There are others as well that are skilled way way way beyond me in footbag who use drugs. when I made the reference to "Leaders", I was not talking about skill with a footbag. That would have been extremely foolish to say such things, since I know, as well as you all that many of the top players in footbag are drug users. I did not mention skill. perhaps the drugs are already having thier negative mental effects on you.

"Leaders" are someone to be followed. The Leaders are followed by thier example. The top players in the world are looked up to for an example. regardless of what the leaders do, the followers are going to follow thier example. If the leaders train several hours a day, the followers will train several hours a day, if the leaders use drugs, the followers will also. ALL leaders in footbag are leading by example if they like it or not. Lead the sport of footbag in the right direction if you are leading. The right direction is away from alchoholism and addiction.

I am not backing down on my position so, here it is again for anyone who missed it:

"all you guys who are drug free and can shred well, you are the real leaders of the sport."

I love all you guys who are drug users. you have some of the biggest influence in footbag. Make a difference in your peoples lives by making a change in your lives and attitudes.

I also love you guys who are not drug users, and we too must continuously strive to be better examples.

Peace.

Zeb Jackson
Post Master General

Post by Zeb Jackson » 22 Aug 2007 19:01

i think theres exceptions to your "followers follow the leaders" rule
i...am one of them...

The Rhino
Fearless

Post by The Rhino » 22 Aug 2007 20:01

yeah, If you can make wise choices, it is possible to not to be led in the wrong direction.

The Actual Sized E
Fearless

Post by The Actual Sized E » 22 Aug 2007 21:11

HXCFOOTBAG wrote:"Leaders" are someone to be followed. The Leaders are followed by thier example. The top players in the world are looked up to for an example. regardless of what the leaders do, the followers are going to follow thier example. If the leaders train several hours a day, the followers will train several hours a day, if the leaders use drugs, the followers will also. ALL leaders in footbag are leading by example if they like it or not. Lead the sport of footbag in the right direction if you are leading. The right direction is away from alchoholism and addiction.
HXCFOOTBAG wrote:yeah, If you can make wise choices, it is possible to not to be led in the wrong direction.
I think footbaggers/people are more autonomous than you give them credit for.

Colin
Flower Child

Post by Colin » 23 Aug 2007 02:38

Your rant is condescending, ignorant, and naive. On the other hand, you have a pretty avatar with a guy holding a footbag. I'm so conflicted!

Hold me Paul, and let not words pass between us, but tenderness.
Colin Kennedy
ckennedy@footbag.org

Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 23 Aug 2007 06:09

uhhh, if you drink caffeine, you are a "drug-user". yet you're not referring to them. what people do in their own time is their business. it's not like we're puffing down in the middle of a circle.
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

The Actual Sized E
Fearless

Post by The Actual Sized E » 23 Aug 2007 06:32

Sporatical_Distractions wrote:uhhh, if you drink caffeine, you are a "drug-user". yet you're not referring to them.
That was the first thing that came to my mind when he made his initial fallen heroes post. Caffeine is stimulant (like cocaine or meth), is very addictive, and can have very uncomfortable withdrawal effects for heavy users, but its also very transparent in our society. I doubt anyone would shun Jorden if they caught him drinking a Pepsi with his lunch.