sexist boys : population ratio, modified vs real life

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.
mc
Modifiend

sexist boys : population ratio, modified vs real life

Post by mc » 11 Mar 2008 20:16

When sexist, loudmouthed, and / or unreasonable boys get riled up and say things that are offensive to people who don't like hearing sexist boys spout off at the mouth, it is often cited as a reason why those particular community members choose not to post on modified frequently.

My question to those who don't like hearing sexist boys spout off at the mouth is.

how does the ratio of sexist, obnoxious boys on modified compare to a real-life population with an equal proportion of young males...

hmmm....

I was going to use a high school. but there's equal amounts of males and females in high school, and there's vastly disproportionate amounts of both in the footbag community. And, in case you didn't get it, "those who don't like hearing sexist boys spout off at the mouth" was aimed at the women readers of the forum. I just didn't want to make myself susceptible to the accusation that I've made some kind of gender-based offense by making this thread, but I guess that's out the window.

So, my real question is, to the girls who do read this (because, apparently, modified is a bad interpersonal climate for females, and consequently, there aren't many),

Isn't real life like this, too? Don't you have to ignore sexist, ignorant, obnoxious men and their thoughts and glances all the time every day?

I guess you wouldn't choose to deal with those things when you don't have to, so you'd drift away from it in online situations.

I just think it's a shame that that's enough to scare away female community members. At least, it's cited as a main reason that we don't see female community members online.

I mean,

We've all been to high school. So, let's have a show of hands. Who here has not been socially conditioned to have to ignore an obnoxious boy on a regular basis, if the community is indeed made up largely of boys? I'm assuming we've all spent plenty of time in a community with a lot of teen boys in one way or another. (I almost wrote "We've all been exposed to a large amount of teen boys in one way or another".)

The point I'm trying to make is that most of us have had to learn to do that at some point in our lives. why is having to deal with teen boys enough to chase away a lot of female members on modified?

and, on a related note, is this a main reason that there are not only a disproportionate amount of female modified community members, but also a disproportionate amount of female footbag community members?

discuss!

---

further thoughts:

what about other sports with equal accessibility to both sexes (I don't mean like football or field hockey) that have disproportion in terms of the sex of the player?

I'm thinking snowboarding, skateboarding, BMX, breakdancing.

Is an initial disproportion of either sex within the players of a game during the game's development some kind of vicious cycle that magnifies that disproportion as the game develops?

I hope not! that's scary for footbag, I think.

what about this, is such a disproportion that continues and magnifies as it manifests a true testament to real true differences in the actions and values of either sex?

I think so.

Discuss.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Blue_turnip
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Blue_turnip » 11 Mar 2008 21:56

I don't think it has anything to do with the gender balance in the sport of footbag at all, but I have nothing to say in regard to its effect on the modified community.

As far as the vicious cycle is concerned: It certainly won't magnify the disproportion but it will probably do its bit to maintain it.

And yeah it probably is also a reflection on the differences in the way male and female brains work. I really really doubt that the imbalances in things such as computer science and skateboarding are just because the first people who did it were males.
Oliver Adams

pips
Multidex Master

Post by pips » 12 Mar 2008 08:39

Yes, this is the same as the real world in a way. I ignore plenty of [innapropriate derogatory language removed - dyalander] remarks on here as well as in the real world, but there are some remarks I can't sit and do nothing about (I was about to jump in on the getting girls thread, but it got locked). Lately, people have been crossing the line on here again. Blah blah blah. Free speech. This is a footbag forum for people of all types: even though we have a non-footbag forum and are warned about intense discussions, leave the drugs and sex kind of talk out. It is not appropriate, and people should know better.

Though, as for the scaring girls away from the forum, it doesn't bother me like that. I just don't think highly of the people who do make stupid remarks.

Bringerofpie
Fearless

Post by Bringerofpie » 12 Mar 2008 12:04

I just want to make the point that glances and thoughts can't really be compared to saying ignorant, sometimes hateful things.
"Fuck it man, you just gotta do it."

Joe Snyder

Representing FLF (Fort Lauderdale Footbaggers)

http://onlycountria.myminicity.com

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 12 Mar 2008 13:13

well, the glances are often very clearly leers, and the thoughts are often very clearly and directly expressed. That's the kind of thing I was talking about. should have made that more clear.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Bringerofpie
Fearless

Post by Bringerofpie » 12 Mar 2008 14:16

Matt Cross wrote:well, the glances are often very clearly leers, and the thoughts are often very clearly and directly expressed. That's the kind of thing I was talking about. should have made that more clear.
Ahh, I understand. No worries then. Jackasses pull that kind of stuff.
"Fuck it man, you just gotta do it."

Joe Snyder

Representing FLF (Fort Lauderdale Footbaggers)

http://onlycountria.myminicity.com

Pengu
think pink

Post by Pengu » 14 Mar 2008 11:40

Girls don't do stuff! They shop and get their hair done. They go clubbing to pick up the obnoxious boys and wonder why they can't catch a winner.

/thread :roll:
Pengpeng Du

Switch Kicker
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Switch Kicker » 14 Mar 2008 13:11

<.<

>.>

Are you calling me sexist? (Indirectly)

I may make some obnoxious posts (very rarely now days) from time to time. But I am not sexist. Image

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 17 Mar 2008 22:34

This place is mild and anyone complaining is anal.