Organized Sports and Work.

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.
Kaylo
Hack Fiend

Post by Kaylo » 29 Apr 2009 17:32

Customers truly are the worst part of a customer-service job. Unfortunately, the majority of them are rude and inconsiderate, and expect you to bend over backwards for them even though they're treating you like you're something disgusting stuck to the bottom of their shoe. Add that to 5.30 starts, 9 hour days, half hour lunch breaks, and annoying colleagues - I would rather shred on a bed of nails than do this everyday.

Of course a lot of this is only my personal experience and I know I've reiterated some points other people have made, but like Jeremy said, sport is rarely if ever considered a waste of time by the participant. Work generally always is and I think the fact that it can prevent you from devoting the time to your chosen sport/s that you would like is perhaps the point these people who criticize you.

You are obviously a very active person and therefore not lazy in a physical sense as already mentioned. But as your critics recognize, if you had a job, your life would be extremely different. You would suddenly have a lot less time to play these sports and its an incredibly frustrating situation to be in. And as already mentioned, I think there is definitely a lot of jealously surrounding the criticisms you have endured. When I was sixteen I was going to school and doing jujitsu 4 days a week, and the biggest thing I had to worry about was a maths exam. What I wouldn't give to be able to have that lifestyle (though maybe not the being sixteen part!)

But on another point, whilst sport imbues you with values such as the rewarding nature of hard work and persistence, work teaches you the value of money. Your understanding of the world and everything around you changes when you realize how much things cost, and how hard you have to work to be able to buy the things you need, let alone the things you want, and perhaps those around you feel as though this is something you would benefit from learning. But if you're only in the tenth grade, there's still plenty of time left for that!

Enjoy your sport and play hard, but like Dyalan said, until you have experienced what its like to work a full time job, don't be too hard us working people, even if we tend to whinge a lot!

On a side note though, I'd never consider studying draining. But that might have something to do with the fact that I'm a nerd :lol:

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Post by Tsiangkun » 02 May 2009 08:37

Being a student is the easiest your life will ever be.

Athlete or not.

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 03 May 2009 10:05

Yea Kaylo, I could never work retail or customer service. I'd go crazy. I think my exhibited attitude here proves thats without question.

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 03 May 2009 13:17

I really enjoy customer service. I find 95% of customers to be perfectly pleasant, and try not to let the other 5% get to me.

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 03 May 2009 16:29

Well, I find it hard to suffer fools. Actually that isn't true I like fools but finnicky or rude people turn me into a huge asshole.

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 06 Jul 2009 21:51

If you have enough time to deal with those 5% of ignorant customers then great, take care of them. They are like a nail in your head if you are already in a huge hurry and cant spare a moment.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 07 Jul 2009 01:20

BainbridgeShred wrote:Well, I find it hard to suffer fools. Actually that isn't true I like fools but finnicky or rude people turn me into a huge asshole.
On the odd occasions where I've had to work in positions dealing with the public I really have no problem, because I'm there doing a job and I'm not supposed to be expressing how I feel, I'm supposed to be expressing what my work wants me to express. Outside of that, I find fools impossible to tolerate unless they have a good excuse - like I used to mentor learning disabled kids at school, mainly because you get out of boring classes with dumb people asking a million dumb questions and it looks good on your resume so not really any charitable motives although I'm still friends with some of the people I mentored, and I have no problem being polite and patient, but put me in a room with a climate change denialist and you could probably sell tickets.

Texta
Shredaholic

Post by Texta » 12 Aug 2009 16:01

Cassy wrote:I really enjoy customer service. I find 95% of customers to be perfectly pleasant, and try not to let the other 5% get to me.
Customers are fine, it's your workmates that are the problem. I spent a bit over two years working for a fringe environmental group that used to hijack environmental issues for their own agenda. But to get to the point, it was much easier to deal with angry or retarded customers than to deal with your boss when they tell you to decide what's more important between your work or your family (unfortunately I had to pick my family and keep working there).

Also the job was pretty boring, so getting an angry customer at least added a bit of excitement.