Why time goes so fast

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.
Swizzle
BSOS Beast

Why time goes so fast

Post by Swizzle » 16 Sep 2009 05:35

So i have heard this questions over and over and over all throughout life, why does time seem to fly so fast? and then an answer poped into my head and i have not been able to say that its not true. i dunno really i jsut thought it was cool that i somehow came up with this.

My definition: Time fly's because of your brain and remembering experiences. As a child, you don't have many, so you want to create some. You die for Christmas to come, you always want to do things and a year is eternity. as a 18 year old, you have quite a lot of experiences. When you previously wanted to do something, you know are content remember something that happened a long time ago, and you lose track of time like this on a daily basis. time begins to pick up. Towards the later years in life, you have so many experiences, you just wonder in awe at where time has gone, and you don't even need to do anything, because you have so much to remember and so many stories to tell. So you tell stories to your grandchildren.. ect. we/ yeah im stopping; you get the idea.

Your task. Give me your opionion on this.. do you agree, is this retarted and i shouldnt have created this topic and i should go jump off a bridge? have you heard something else that you really liked about time?

=)
Cory Allen
My Footblog

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Post by Slowsis » 16 Sep 2009 06:48

For me I find time flying when I'm busier or have a lot of responsibilities. When your mind is occupied in a task, time passes without notice. Even right now typing this post, the one minute it took me will seem shorter than a minute in which I had nothing to do. By this logic, as one gets older, they usually have more and more responsibilities and stress, and therefore have less moments in which the passage of time is evident. Children have no worries or responsibilities, and as you said, spend their time waiting for major events in the future (recess, Christmas).
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog

Swizzle
BSOS Beast

Post by Swizzle » 16 Sep 2009 13:08

yeah i think that is true too, i kind of put that aside, assuming you would do a certain amount of things, everyone does something, school/work ect. im not sure about someone who takes ahold of all responsibilities they can get until their life is ridiculously busy.

But what about retirement people? they always say the years go by so quickly, but they don't have responsibilities, stress, a job (unless they want one).. i guess your answer would be they find something to do, and the time flies, so, does it go faster when your incredibly busy, working like crazy for months on end? or retired, and fishing all the time, telling stories to kids and incredibly optimistic.
Cory Allen
My Footblog

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 16 Sep 2009 13:28

I think that our experience of time causes us to feel like it's speeding up. And, comparative to the rest of our lives, it is.

When we age from one year to two years old, that year of aging constitutes half of our lives. When we age from 20 years to 21 years, that year constitutes 1/21 of our lives.

So, the years feel shorter and shorter! At least the rate of speeding drops off every year.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Ian Brill
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ian Brill » 21 Sep 2009 20:32

Great thread. Here is my input:

Thought is what makes us conscious. Without the inherent, unconscious activity of relentless pattern recognition we would be mentally impaired.

As we get older we accumulate more experiences.

The more and more diverse experiences we have the greater a pool of potential comparative data we have to compare to every new circumstance.
The more we attribute to common tasks as well.

For example: The daily routine of a retired individual could potentially require more active inner dialogue based solely upon the fact that they have much larger a pool of potential comparative data.

Ever watch a video game freeze because there was too much going on? Well, the rest of the world kept going on at a constant rate whilst the cpu choked on a specific set of tasks. That's what I am trying to illustrate: that the more burdened by activity the brain is the quicker time seems to go.

Perhaps time loses its attributed form and essence based on priority. If we must work to survive we are organized, efficient and create itinerary that makes us think less and move more. We create situations for ourselves where we act more, produce more and ultimately move quicker while thinking less. When we are retired we move less and think more. Everything becomes more of a potential tangent.

That is what I think. That when we get older there are more things that can distract us from the competitive drive to act. Thought slows us down and the world seems to go by faster.

Swizzle
BSOS Beast

Post by Swizzle » 22 Sep 2009 04:14

cool responses guys; yeah matt, its funny to say that im catching up with my parent's age; because 1000 years from now, if were to still be alive, my parents would be 1048.. i would be 1018.. thats basically the same age when you think about it lol.

i like also what you said ian, it was kinda more im depth than the saying about "how much your doing/ Busyness/Responsibilities"
you said something more or less like your patterns and habits cause you to do things that are in your unconscious, and when your in your unconscious more than time moves quicker... i had never heard it like that..

Im surprised nobody has said anything about mood yet.. you guys think when your happier, time speeds up, or when your pissed off and/or upset, time slows down?
Cory Allen
My Footblog

Ian Brill
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ian Brill » 22 Sep 2009 04:53

I wonder if that is what I said. I need to think about that :)

Swizzle
BSOS Beast

Post by Swizzle » 22 Sep 2009 10:36

Yeah i guess thats what i took from it; didnt mean to say "thats what you said..." ima edit that..
Cory Allen
My Footblog

Swizzle
BSOS Beast

Post by Swizzle » 22 Sep 2009 10:37

ok i can't edit it in Discussion
Cory Allen
My Footblog

Ian Brill
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ian Brill » 22 Sep 2009 10:48

I can if you would like but there does not seem to be a need.

I will expand on this since I am unexpectadly being paid to sit here right now without my laptop so that I can continue R+D for my projects and grad school aplications.

The bulk of what I am trying to say is that the more you are consciously engaging in an activity that requires application of former experience the faster the world around you will go. The more actively you are trying to experience the world around you the slower time will go.

I personally enjoy footbag because it clearly indicates to me when and when I am not experiencing the world around me. For instance, when I drop a strong side paradox mirage. I strive to live my life with the degree of awareness that I have when I execute a long string, and vice versa.

I have whole ton of thought that I have put into this but I will save it for my artwork. It is a hybrid bit of theory of relativity / amerikarma silliness but it seems to organize a bit of the phenomena in my life.

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 02 Oct 2009 19:43

My grandmas getting older- shes 90 last year 8O 8O :D And she has some friends, twin 80 plus year old nuns. I think they used to whip my uncles with a ruler or something :D These nuns are so nice, they love to tell me stories of how they used to roller skate :) And they see hackeysacking at the school :)
I am all about telling some kinda stories myself but ive already noticed all my good stories are old :roll: We all gotta get out there and do fun stuff and then time wont seem to fly by so fast :D

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 02 Oct 2009 19:53

I thought a minute and one major thing that makes time fly- doing the same things all the time. You can get into a zone and time will fly. like if you get into a crappy job and stick with it because it pays the bills. You zone out in order to deal with the situation. Best thing is to experience as much as you can while you are here.