real name in signature

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.
Muffinman
the gimp

real name in signature

Post by Muffinman » 01 Oct 2003 00:02

<edit> Here on modified we recommend that users place their real name in their signature. You may receive a PM from a mod or other users to point out this recommendation to you. </edit> - dyalander

1) log in
2) click "profile" at the top of any page (in row with "faq", "search", "members", "groups", register", etc...)
3) write your name in the "signature" box. its just above "preferences", at the bottom of "profile information"
4) scroll to the bottom of the page and press "submit"

we hope this isnt an inconvenience.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 24 Mar 2004 14:18

This is just to let those that do not have their name in their sig that your days are numbered! Do something about it!

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 24 Mar 2004 14:45

what this means is:
please put your name in your signature. if you have an issue with this pm jeremy and we will consider your position. users without their real name in their signature will be banned. if you have questions of any sort pm jeremy.
thank you for your cooperation. we hope you understand that this is for the betterment of the forum community.
diplomatically,
erik chan

<edit> just to clear up any confusion - it is no longer the case that users who do not put their real name in their signature willbe banned. </edit>
- dyalander

Psyc
Hack Fiend

Post by Psyc » 26 Dec 2004 14:32

Is this still in effect?
Pamela Ocampo

LittleBoy footbag
Official Streaker

Post by LittleBoy footbag » 26 Dec 2004 14:47

Well, you name's on you sig isn't it? JK. It's really cool though to know the real name of the person that you're posting with. Not some shitty little pseudonym like Littleboy Footbag or something.......wait....... :oops:

ThisIsFate
Multidex Master

Post by ThisIsFate » 04 Jan 2006 15:58

I put my name in signature in the Profile and i press submit and it still dont show up. Now when i press Profile my name is in the signature box.
Kung Ho Chiu << my Chinese name (no english name) 8)

-------------------------------------
edite it show now haha need to wait a bit :P
kungho

Villhaven
Circle Kicker

Post by Villhaven » 23 Jan 2006 19:41

Is this because of that new bill they snuck past in congress a few weeks ago?

BalinorNZ
Post Master General

Post by BalinorNZ » 23 Jan 2006 21:40

Villhaven wrote:Is this because of that new bill they snuck past in congress a few weeks ago?
No, it is so we can know everyones name and have a more personal forum instead of a superficial land of imaginary footbagers.

Villhaven
Circle Kicker

Post by Villhaven » 23 Jan 2006 21:59

Sounds good to me.

dyalander
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by dyalander » 09 Jul 2007 23:06

The mod. staff has experienced a few problems with users who are unwilling to put their real name in their signature. We want to consult the community in order to see exactly what you want us to do in these instances.

The three options we see are:
1) Make a rule saying that all users need to have what the mods believe to be their real name in their signature-- otherwise mods will change their rank (under the user name) to what they believe to be their real name.
2) We prefer for people to put their real name in their signature but if they don't they’ll simply receive a PM and the mods can do no more.
3) Have no rule about real name's in signatures and simply have it as a courtesy which users may or may not abide by.

What it all comes down it is - do you think it is important that people attach their name to their views, and what appropriate and effective measures should we take to make that happen?
Who wears short shorts?
Dylan Govender.

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 10 Jul 2007 09:39

I vote for #1. You want to screw around, go elsewhere.

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 10 Jul 2007 11:27

yeah im down with number one. it requires a little trust, but that trust is important because it helps to make meeting and kicking with strangers a little easier and less sketchy
Pete Bowler
B$C
keeps it offah da ground.

617 FOR LIFE

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 10 Jul 2007 13:46

One.
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

dp
Egyptian Footgod

Post by dp » 10 Jul 2007 16:26

I think that having names in the signature is a very nice feature to this forum and I think everyone should be expected to have their names in their signatures. However, if regulars that everybody already knows wants to do something different with their signature, they should be allowed to.
Danny P.

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 11 Jul 2007 05:16

maybe if you have over 1000 posts or something. the only problem is the newbs coming in wouldnt know who these people are, and would be less willing to put their real name in their signature if not everyone had to, whether it had to do with post count or anything else.
Pete Bowler
B$C
keeps it offah da ground.

617 FOR LIFE

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 11 Jul 2007 17:30

If you already have your real name as your username on the forum, then having the freedom to do anything on your sig would be appropriate imo.
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 12 Jul 2007 07:26

I would rather have all my posts deleted off the forum than have my name displayed with my posts.

A month or so ago my work made the news because somebody I work with sent some emails from a non-work email account outside of her working hours promoting a particular political party.

The fact is that there were people on the mailing list of that political party that actively oppose it, and while nothing really came of the news story, we've been audited 3 times in the last 2 years to see if we ever promote any political parties, and while me posting on this forum, or anywhere else, is perfectly ok, the negative publicity doesn't help us at all.

Twice while I've been working we've got in trouble for saying the wrong things to people who regularly give us financial donations, who dobbed in what we said to our enemies.

Given the effort these people are prepared to go to, I don't feel confident with my name associated with my posts. Obviously people could go through all the posts and find them, but they'd have to know what they're looking for already.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 12 Jul 2007 07:52

Also of all the forums to have this discussion in, why did you choose "bags and equipment?" Isn't this a sticky topic in every forum? Doesn't really make sense.

dp
Egyptian Footgod

Post by dp » 12 Jul 2007 08:50

Hasn't it always been the case that if you didn't want your full name all you have to do is PM a mod and tell them why?
Danny P.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 12 Jul 2007 08:52

That was certainly the argument I pushed when this policy was first implemented, and that policy appeared to work very well, but apparently it changed. I don't know why.