Oh such bad words. Censorship?

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.

How to deal with offensive written content?

Censored automatically by system.
2%
Punished by Moderators. (Temp. Suspend/Ban)
17%
Dealt with by peers, in a non-flaming manner.
26%
Why deal with it? They're just words.
55%

Total votes: 42

qphox
Bullshit Detector

Oh such bad words. Censorship?

Post by qphox » 18 Nov 2003 19:08

Alright, somewhere else on the board, plenty of people expressed offense over the use of the word "faggot" in a general derrogatory manner.

Should this stuff be censored? Should it be punished? Should it just be dealt with on a case to case basis by the community at large?

Also, if "faggot" is indeed to be outlawed, what else? Other "bad words"? Racial slurs? Bob Reifer?

But seriously, give it some thought.

For the poll, I decided against putting "What words are offensive?" or something, and instead opted for what is there now.

Note: I do not believe Bob Reifer should be outlawed. Neither should you. :)
- Kevin R.

F = G*((m1*m2)/r^2)

Know thy enemy.

gibsonian
Shredaholic

Post by gibsonian » 18 Nov 2003 20:28

I didn't vote because different words should be dealt with in different ways. Words like 'faggot', along with racial slurs, can't really be used in an appropriate context, so they should be automatically censored. On the other hand, sometimes you have to say shit and fuck, and if it is way out of line then I am sure peers can explain that to the person, if not moderators. So, if I were to say "deano, don't be suck a shithead by italicizing the word you changed", I would think that it isn't completely out of line, and should be allowed.
Will Gibson

LameR
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by LameR » 18 Nov 2003 21:44

Let the mods deal with it, you can't just censor it, it depends on how it's being used.
-connor campbell
prosers-pros of the posers-
I like my sugar with coffee and cream.

hacksterbator
Washed-Up Child Star

Post by hacksterbator » 18 Nov 2003 22:23

i think if you feel uncomfortable with a word used by an other person on the forum, tell them strainght up that you don't like it. Most cats here have got level heads and i'm sure they'd change and refrain from using it so as not to offend you. i think it's a simple solution and doesn't need to be blown up.
A.G.

gibsonian
Shredaholic

Post by gibsonian » 18 Nov 2003 22:32

Lamer, I would agree with you for most words, but try to use 'faggot' or a racial slur in an acceptable manner. I don't really think you can.
Will Gibson

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Post by Reid » 19 Nov 2003 06:14

I picked up a fag and threw it in the fire
"...You have to get, really, practice, like eight hours every day. Then you get good level and then you can compete....There is no money, so players are like big family and that is what I -like" -Vasek-

Reid Strellner

qphox
Bullshit Detector

Post by qphox » 19 Nov 2003 14:50

That's where the word "faggot" came from, guy. Sure, it's defined as a bundle of sticks; kindling. But here's the thing: Back when homosexuality was basically punishable by death, the manner in which they were executed was often by burning.

Thus the homosexuals being burnt were considered kindling themselves.

Also, with automatic censoring, it's so impersonal. Plus, if people seem that bent on saying words like that, they'll just get some m*sking go*ng on.

Listen to Andrew.
- Kevin R.

F = G*((m1*m2)/r^2)

Know thy enemy.

LameR
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by LameR » 19 Nov 2003 14:58

If someone cusses too much they could just be temporarily banned or something.
-connor campbell
prosers-pros of the posers-
I like my sugar with coffee and cream.

Chris Holden
Dolla Llama

Post by Chris Holden » 19 Nov 2003 15:25

If you use that word and I see, I'm censoring it, period.

I understand the point of this thread, so it's cool, but still seeing all this use of the word is a bit offensive. To put it easier for all you straights to understand, if the word in question was the N word, NONE of you would have had the balls to type it in the same context as you so easily use F word all over this thread.

Personally, I'm against the use of any "bad" words in the forums. There are a lot of kids that post here, it's not cool, and doesn't show much class.

I'm not coming back to this thread, so replying to this post gets you nowhere.

HighDemonslayer
Egyptian Footgod

Post by HighDemonslayer » 19 Nov 2003 16:52

I used a little "artistic license" here, no disrespect intended:

----------
"Cracker" or "Gringo" , I find these words offensive.

A white dude expects to get beaten on the street for using the "N-word". Society approves of such violence.

Non-whites should have the same fear of using the above insults.
Society should also approve of this violence.

We wouldn't want a double standard, would we?

-----------------------

-n
Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

-----------------------------------
-nathan

blackcrown
Multidex Master

Post by blackcrown » 19 Nov 2003 17:08

Chris Holden wrote:. To put it easier for all you straights to understand, .
I'm offended by the term "straights".

Eric
Eric Palmer

gibsonian
Shredaholic

Post by gibsonian » 20 Nov 2003 02:22

blackcrown wrote:
Chris Holden wrote:. To put it easier for all you straights to understand, .
I'm offended by the term "straights".

Eric

How are you offended? It is not used in a negative context, and it does not have negative connotation.
Will Gibson

HighDemonslayer
Egyptian Footgod

Post by HighDemonslayer » 21 Nov 2003 10:25

Here's a blurb from one of my favorate "speech" sites:

www.tonguetied.us

I like how he says his comment was taken out of context, I'd like to hear what the proper context would be.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Sihk student at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville who complained that a student committee only brought liberal speakers to campus was derided as a “raghead” as a result, reports the Daily Beacon.

UT student Sukhmani Singh Khalsa complained in an editorial that the students’ Issues Committee, which brings speakers to campus, was devoid of ideological diversity. "I don't think that a lot of parents would be happy if they knew they were paying this group $90,000 to have their country slandered and their values dragged through the mud," he wrote.

Following the appearance of the article, Justin Rubenstein, a member of the Issues Committee, told fellow members of the panel in an e-mail that if they "see one of those ragheads, shoot him right in the (expletive) face."

Rubenstein said his comment was taken out of context.

(via HobbsOnline)

---------------------------
-n
Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

-----------------------------------
-nathan

shredj
Rain Man

Post by shredj » 23 Jan 2004 21:30

I should grow up and respect others.
Jim Jansen

hacksterbator
Washed-Up Child Star

Post by hacksterbator » 24 Jan 2004 00:42

wow, what an interesting brand of comedy! reminds me of the Dice Man, but didn't he fall head first off the comedy wagon in the mid 90's? sorry man, i don't think it's time for a come back... :roll:
A.G.

SeRiAl ThIlLa~
BSOS Beast

Post by SeRiAl ThIlLa~ » 24 Jan 2004 06:41

ya ok i have been on alot of forums and some forums that i have been on actually just cencered the word that u said. So if i said "F*ck" then it would change it to "Im a bad boy" or something like that.

Juice
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Juice » 24 Jan 2004 08:08

do you mind other bad words like the f... word and s... word.
Robin Davies
You are your Footbag

shredj
Rain Man

Post by shredj » 24 Jan 2004 11:57

In my opinion its fine as long as there isnt any racial stuff goin on. You cant really avoid it anyways. My 2 cents
Jim Jansen

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 27 Jan 2004 15:03

HighDemonslayer wrote:I used a little "artistic license" here, no disrespect intended:

----------
"Cracker" or "Gringo" , I find these words offensive.

A white dude expects to get beaten on the street for using the "N-word". Society approves of such violence.

Non-whites should have the same fear of using the above insults.
Society should also approve of this violence.

We wouldn't want a double standard, would we?

-----------------------

-n
Gee, I'm glad I don't live in the society you live in! In Australia, society does not approve of any violence. I also think that it is much harder to make an offensively racist comment to a white person than a coloured person growing up in a white society.

I am against all cenorship except for when people make ridiculous and random profane posts. If you are going to use offensive words - they need to be in context. This doesn't stop them from being offensive. But it's an expression of an opinion and I wouldn't want to see it censored. However when people make a post about evolution and mention (twice) that Charles Darwin has a giant penis coming out of the middle of his face, I fail to see any relevance to the disscussion at all. When they are asked to edit the post and respond by changing "giant penis" with "butt crack" I tend to make rather nasty judgements about that person (which is probably unfair of me, but I guess nobody's perfect)

BrianW
BSOS Beast

Post by BrianW » 06 Feb 2004 22:19

I dont see why everyone gets so offended about "racial comments." come on everyone is racist in some way. I also dont understand why everyone is soo afraid to use the "N word" The term nigger didnt always refer to just black people, it refered to immigrants in the U.S.A, now you dont see any Irish people getting mad when someone says it. If you watch comedy youll see that black people make fun of other black people and they make fun of white people, the crowd laughs either way and no one cares. then the next act will be a white comedian, he will make fun of some white people, everyone will laugh, then when he makes fun of black people youll notice a lot less laughter. Ive noticed that a lot of black people act as if they are better than whites, they can make fun of anyone and say anything they want to, but when a white man starts using "the N-word" than that is seen as innapropriot. Lets face it, a lot of things can be considered a racial comment. Ive met black people who dont like to be called black, they think they should be called "african american." but are they from africa, probably not. if you think black people should be called african american because their ancestors were from africa than sould everyone be refered to by where they come from. should i be german sweedish american. someone else would be french asian latin american.
I dont believe in any type of censorship.
Every man has their technique, and they are all different......when you know mine.....youll be dead.

Brian Warner