Abortion

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.
Splint
Angry Hippy

Post by Splint » 17 Jun 2004 05:31

In some part that may have been what he was saying, but there is little doubt in my mind that what he said was said with the pompous juvenile male attitude that woman are just fuckin around and bound for pregnancy and the guy who so graciously donated the sperm is absolved of any wrongdoing.
Old Skool

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 17 Jun 2004 08:48

HighDemonslayer wrote:I think how things are defined is important.
Abortion supporters are usually refered to as "pro-choice".
While opponents are usually refered to as "anti-abortion" or "pro-life".
So abortion supporters should at least be able to admit that they are "pro-abortion", because pro-choice can mean anything.
WHAT? No... Pro-Choice means that you support the right for someone else to make a choice for themselves on the issue, not that you necessarily think Abortion would be right for you, or even right morally.
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

ShredStylez
Republican

Post by ShredStylez » 17 Jun 2004 12:03

ovetin wrote:
Jeremy wrote:(Basically people under the age of 12 can be aborted :twisted: )
Glad I'm in the clear.
me too :wink:
There is always a bigger trick.

Go watch a vid. of Dylan Fry.

-Mark "The Force" Schwartz

sPinko-Mania
Multidex Master

Post by sPinko-Mania » 17 Jun 2004 21:21

ShredStylez wrote:14 days after conception a child has a heartbeat, and after 28 days the child has brain waves and fully developed nerve endings that feel pain while in the most common form of abortion...
Dude, who told you these things?

Up to 14 days after fertilisation, we cannot tell if the embryo is going to be one or two individuals, because splitting can take place, leading to the formation of twins, or even more. This is why it's not suprising people refer to embryo as 'just a clump of cells'. The heartbeat is not noticable until around 4 months into the pregnancy not 14 days.

After 28 days, the life looks like a tadpole, only smaller, it's only about 1/5 of an inch long, what will turn into its head is visable, but arms and legs have not even begun to develop. Fully developed nerve endings?! Some rudimentary brainwaves can be found, and it begins to feel pain at 6 months.

I support abortion, regardless of reason, but up to a certain date. What a lot of people fail to do, is ask themselves why killing someone wrong, then build a solid criteria for why, and then apply it to a fetus. After that, the fetus is either has moral standing, or it hasn't, and you have a criteria to explain why.
Ben Spink McCarthy
They say God lives inside us. If this is true, I hope he likes salmonella. Because that's what he's getting.

HighDemonslayer
Egyptian Footgod

Post by HighDemonslayer » 24 Jun 2004 01:33

Here's a story about the founder of Planned Parenthood and her cheery ideals:

http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=6738

I don't know if all that stuff is true. But the part about "(...)want to exterminate the Negro population." was kind of interesting.

I guess abortion is a great way to get rid of undesirable races and other human weeds.

-n
Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

-----------------------------------
-nathan

sPinko-Mania
Multidex Master

Post by sPinko-Mania » 24 Jun 2004 03:28

Making it legal for a population to abort, and implications this will have for population and wealth is so abstracted from genocide it's just silly.
The results are fairly ugly. For starters, more Down's Syndrome children are now aborted than born
I may come off as an asshole here, but I read this and thought 'fine by me'. I read of the statistic on drudge report a few weeks ago, and the figure was for Britain, and it's not something right outta Gattaca. Given the choice between a normal kid and a Downs kid, I would not be indifferent between the two. I'd wager virtually every single parent would prefer a normal baby to pop out of the oven after nine months, it's just that now people are given the choice.

I still think that whatever motives some famous supporter of abortion has, or what motives individuals have over abortion, muddies the water about what beings have moral standing which is the core of the issue.
Ben Spink McCarthy
They say God lives inside us. If this is true, I hope he likes salmonella. Because that's what he's getting.

HighDemonslayer
Egyptian Footgod

Post by HighDemonslayer » 24 Jun 2004 14:22

I'm not demanding that this is definitely genocide. But to prevent the birth of a group of people to destroy the group could be like eugenics or ethnic cleansing.

Is it to huge a stretch to suggest that abortion could be a component of those practices?

I just think it's a slippery slope. Is abortion contributing to the ethnic cleansing of blacks in America, or of white Europeans in Europe?

What if abortion was only Illegal for some groups of people?

I don't think this post addresses the moral point you brought up, Pinko, but I think I see where you're coming from.

-n

-nathan

Senor Grommet
Post Master General

Post by Senor Grommet » 24 Jun 2004 18:48

About Down Syndrome vs. normal child, and if you could predict the type of kid in advance and if you had the chance to abort based on this knowledge:

I know from working with the DS population that they dont all turn out like Corky on that one TV show. Some are "high-functioning" and many are not. Most need to receive therapy services throughout their lives as well as be cared for for the majority of their lives. Many are not able to speak and must rely on Alternative modes of communication like technology devices that speak for them. They have behavior problems and medical histories that are "complicated," meaning they have many medical complications. These are tremendous expenses that a parent(s) must consider before determining whether to "keep" this child. Im not saying parents should abort if they think their kid'll be DS, but just stating the facts that a parent might consider (or not consider).
My name: Jeremy Mirken, AKA Chocolatey Shatner, AKA jerk enemy rim.

I kick it with trunk chef elf and liz luck key my.

HighDemonslayer
Egyptian Footgod

Post by HighDemonslayer » 28 Jun 2004 18:20

From BBC: short column about a new ultrasound shows walking in the womb.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3846525.stm

Cute little guy, ain't he?

-n

-nathan