Smoke?

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.

How often do you smoke weed?

Never
50%
Only at footbag tournaments/jams
2%
Only at footbag tournaments/jams
2%
Once in a while (A few times a month)
15%
Frequently (A few times a week)
11%
Always (Most everyday, at least once a day)
19%

Total votes: 252

brian relly
fan-tas-tic

Post by brian relly » 05 Oct 2005 04:17

BalinorNZ wrote:"All good musicians are on drugs."
That is total bollocks. I would say the percentage of musicians who are addicted to drugs are pretty low on the whole, everyone just makes a big deal about it when they find someone who is a great musician who does do drugs saying 'See! us stoners aren't losers after all! We can make good music!'

"I have never seen two people on pot get in a fight"
You will also never see them(while they are on pot) get into a job, do well in school, have good relationships or achieve anything really.
I agree with a few of your points, but you're taking it kind of overboard.

In regards to the first quote, all I have to say is that John Coltrane was a heroin addict for most of his life.

As for the second one, I know plenty of pot smokers who are very successful, motivated people (see: Masters in Engineering, professional video game designer, full ride scholarship to Berklee College of Music, as well as the Valedictorian of last year's graduating class, and she is now going to MIT).

That said, I don't consider myself a pot smoker, as it has never been anywhere near a regular activity for me, but I'm not violently opposed to the idea. Most of the pot smokers I know are pretty fuckin' stupid, and I would rather not do it except in special circumstances or with people I know really well. I would say you should always keep anything related to school, and anything related to drugs mutually exclusive.
esteban barnez
myspace.com/rawcakes
david wrote:I was just sitting here surfing and my mom looks over my shoulder. I had to jab down the down key real quick so she wouldn't see that topic title and question me about what kind of site I was going on.

jon
Foosebag God

Post by jon » 05 Oct 2005 06:23

professor wrote:The fact is all illegal drugs are illegal because their alter your mental state ...
This is so far from the reason why most drugs are illegal. It shows an ignorance of history and law and therefore makes the rest of the post less worthwhile.
stvaMy wrote:My theory is that it's childish...
This too is just untrue. Only childish people smoke? what about people in the Rastafarian cultural, people who use it along with their chemo so that they can keep food down ... are all these people childish too?

So many of the posts in this thread are so black and white and stereotypical. Most are very uninformed and show the societal conditioning associated with both sides of the argument.
Jon's FootBlog
MSN: jon.haber@gmail.com
"It was clean enough to be thin..." - Andrew W.

professor
Post Master General

Post by professor » 05 Oct 2005 07:31

Si_iS_High wrote:"The worst kind of non-smokers are the ones that come up to you and cough. That's pretty fucking cruel isn't it? Do you go up to cripples and dance too?"
So it is admitted that smoking is a crippling choice?
jon wrote:
professor wrote: The fact is all illegal drugs are illegal because their alter your mental state ...

This is so far from the reason why most drugs are illegal. It shows an ignorance of history and law and therefore makes the rest of the post less worthwhile.
stva wrote: My theory is that it's childish...

This too is just untrue. Only childish people smoke? what about people in the Rastafarian cultural, people who use it along with their chemo so that they can keep food down ... are all these people childish too?

So many of the posts in this thread are so black and white and stereotypical. Most are very uninformed and show the societal conditioning associated with both sides of the argument.
First of all, Steve (stva) was reffering to drug users who do drugs as recreation and not medical reasons. That was pretty obvious.

Second, you bash many of these posts including mine, and yet we all give reasons for our points, but where are yours? You just say we are wrong and leave it without reasons. I'm ignorant, ok I'll accept that, why? Don't just tell people they are wrong without supporting it. That shows ignorance.

If you are soo much more enlightened than the rest of us, then why don't you enlighten us please.
Ben Skaggs

Amateurs practice until they can get it right.
Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

No, I don't play soccer. Yes, there are competitions. 4 years. Lots of practice.

Faco
Fearless

Post by Faco » 05 Oct 2005 07:39

Someone who spends most of their money on the habbit, drops out of school to do it (or because of braincell loss?) screw up relationships with the oposite sex because of the addiction, lose their jobs because of it.

I know that doesn't apply to everyone who smokes but I believe that's what they are heading for when they start.
That is the single most annoying thing that people say about using drugs:"Smoking Marijuana leads to more dangerous drugs."
Ok...so when someone has a car accident, we will blame his mother for buying him a damn bike when he was a child. Because you see:"ALMOST EVERY PERSON WHO HAS A CAR ACCIDENT, STARTED THEIR DRIVING CARRER WITH A BIKE!"
Let's ban Marijuana = let's ban bicikles.

But what I wanted to say is that this topic is strating to annoy me...why are drugs illegal? Because they "alter your mental state"? Bullshit!! They are illegal because some fart-ass is making more money on them than you can imagine. THAT'S why they banned pot! Understanding altering one's mental state as a bad thing shows a complete lack of wider perspective on this world.

Every single culture to date used drugs. There are drugs in this world that you can't even think of.
One final thought:
TV, chocolate, music, footbag, marijuana...these are ALL drugs. The definition of a drug is "something addictive that gives pleasure", right? But we all know that every single thing has it's bad side (even TV, even chocolate, even footbag, even marijuana) when overused.

Bah, I really don't know what else to say...
Ales Zazaro

sniikeri
Lauri Jii

Post by sniikeri » 05 Oct 2005 07:57

Saying "God put it to the nature, it has to be good for man" is totally "bollocks" like Nic would say. There are many poisonous plants on Earth that'll really harm you.

Jeremy - I have to disagree with you when you said "people who would make bad judgments in drugs would make bad judgments sober too". Uhm, what? That's IMO just childish.
If you make a bad judgment when you're in drugs, doesn't it mean that you've already done one with starting to do drugs or drinking? So when you really get into car accident, can you just say it was because of weed and the bad decicion you made in the past?

---

Maybe it's childish to say that smoking pot is in 100% only bad, but it's exactly as childish to say that "in many cases" it isn't bad.
Lauri Jaakkola

jon
Foosebag God

Post by jon » 05 Oct 2005 08:17

professor wrote:First of all, Steve (stva) was reffering to drug users who do drugs as recreation and not medical reasons. That was pretty obvious.
I just reread his post and still do not see it is obvious that he is referring to just recreational drug users. He says it’s childish to use drugs. I merely gave two examples that counter his broad generalization. Instead of re-quoting his whole post I will just say to reread his post and make up your own mind if he does in fact specify he is only referring to recreational drug use.
professor wrote: Second, you bash many of these posts including mine, and yet we all give reasons for our points, but where are yours? You just say we are wrong and leave it without reasons.
You are right. I should include reasons with my post. My excuse is that I have been jaded by so many similar discussions in the past. I didn’t feel compelled to go take even more time on this discussion to find reliable sources for each point I would make.
I might have “bashed” many posts but I was simply stating that many were broad generalizations. I do not think I need to point out each time this has happened in this thread. It seems apparent that both sides of the argument are doing this. If this is not apparent to you then I will not take the time to explain why because I simply don’t car to waste too much time on the subject. That may be a lame reason but so be it.
In reference to your post only I cited that your reasons for believe that drugs were illegal were wrong. If you would research instead of just stating assumptions you might discover that many of the drug laws around the world stem from racial persecution and a desire by those in power to control minority groups. Example: the Asian people that helped build the railroads in North America and their link to opium, Mexican workers in the US and their links to marijuana, and more recently the persecution of black people in the US that use crack.
http://hrw.org/campaigns/drugs/

“Black men are admitted to prison on drug charges at eleven times the rate of white men. Most drug arrests occur in lower income, primarily minority urban areas, even though whites use drugs at approximately the same rate as blacks.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition_(drugs)
“Religious intolerance was also the motivation for drug prohibition in Christian Europe. In a move interpreted as support of the efforts of the Spanish Inquisition against the Arabs, in a 1484 fiat Pope Innocent VIII banned the use of cannabis. The persecution of heretics in the form of witch-hunts also gathered momentum around this time, and frequently targeted users of medicinal and hallucinogenic herbs. The Inquisition proceeded apace in Central America and South America, where peyote, ololiuqui, toloache, teonanacatl and other sacred plants of the Aztec culture were prohibited as works of the devil.”
“The first law outright prohibiting the use of a specific drug was a San Francisco, California ordinance which banned the smoking of opium in opium dens in 1875. The inspiration was "many women and young girls, as well as young men of respectable family, were being induced to visit the Chinese opium-smoking dens, where they were ruined morally and otherwise," though there is no evidence to suggest this ever happened. The primary cause of the movement for the law was a moral panic based on a fear of Chinese immigrants and other railroad workers seducing white women with the drug. This was followed by other laws throughout the country, and federal laws which barred Chinese people from trafficking in opium. Though the laws affected the use and distribution of opium by Chinese immigrants, no action was taken against the producers of such products as laudanum, a mixture of opium and alcohol, commonly taken as a panacea by white Americans.”
“Cocaine was prohibited in the first part of the 20th century. Newspapers used terms like "Negro Cocaine Fiends" and "Cocainized Niggers" to drive up sales, causing a nationwide panic about the rape of white women by black men, high on cocaine. Many police forces changed from a .32 caliber to a .38 caliber pistol because the smaller gun was supposedly unable to kill black men when they were high on cocaine.”
Ask yourself why crack use is punished more harshly and more reguarly then cocaine use? Why is alcohol, a once banned substance, is now legal again. If it were true that, “The fact is all illegal drugs are illegal because they alter your mental state, specifically it destorts your choice making abilities. This means while under the influence of drugs, you will do things you wouldn't normally do when you are sober.” Then why are antidepressants/alcohol/salvia legal?
Maybe I didn’t spend enough time finding crediable sources for you but I don’t see me taking a chunk out of my day to try and prove a point on the internet as an effective use of my time nor do I believe it will change anyone’s views on the drug debate. I apologize for not stating my reasons before.
Jon's FootBlog
MSN: jon.haber@gmail.com
"It was clean enough to be thin..." - Andrew W.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 05 Oct 2005 08:21

sniikeri wrote:
Jeremy - I have to disagree with you when you said "people who would make bad judgments in drugs would make bad judgments sober too". Uhm, what? That's IMO just childish.
If you make a bad judgment when you're in drugs, doesn't it mean that you've already done one with starting to do drugs or drinking? So when you really get into car accident, can you just say it was because of weed and the bad decicion you made in the past?
I think you misunderstand me completely. What I was saying is that I don't think being on drugs is an excuse for bad judgement. Nor do I think it's a reason for bad judgement. I'm saying that people make good or bad decisions regardless of intoxicating substances and if you do make poor decisions while intoxicated with some substance then you need to realise that you can't handle yourself appropriately while on that substance and be responsible for your actions if you choose to continue with that substance. The only times I've done things that I consider stupid while on substance have been only drinking alcohol and I have learnt a valuable lesson from that and know my limits. If I were to go out tomorrow and drink 15 beers then that would be very bad judgement and I should deal with the consequences without using being drunk as an excuse - because I know already that if I drink 15 beers in a night I may well do something I regret. The same goes for all other drugs.

I don't think it's childish to say that many people can successfully manage to do drugs in a responsible manner. If you take my quote out of context such as you did - it may seem childish but clearly I was only referring to drug use when it is responsible. If people read that comment - and then go out and use drugs responsibally this will cause no health problems at all. If somebody does become addicted or suffers another health problem because of drug use then it is clear in my opinion that they are not using the drug responsibly. Using a drug responsibly means understanding what it does and how to deal with it. It means understanding about addiction and not letting this happen. I have been very careful not to try and convince people to do drugs and also careful not to talk about my own experiences with drugs however I'll use myself as an example quickly. I've experimented with a number of drugs and before doing so, every time I checked out the drug thoroughly before taking it - I certainly didn't let peer pressure or any other reason make me decide. In fact I turn down drugs about 90% of the time. I think regardless of if you're going to do drugs or not - and this really goes for any decision you make in your life. Do your best to make as informed a decision as possible. Knowledge is power and the more knowledge you have on a subject the better the decision you can make on the subject.

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 05 Oct 2005 08:39

"You can't know how it feels until you try it" is true. I don't feel like commenting on the whole topic, but the argument "you can't judge it till you try it" is lame. I haven't tried crack, I still judge it and think that it’s harmful for people to do it.
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Emily Kulczyk

Skippy!
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Skippy! » 05 Oct 2005 09:07

I smoke doobies.

When I do, and play footbag afterwards, I get tired mega fast. I prefer playing before smoking weed, but whatever. People can do whatever the fuck they want. I've heard so many generalizations about 'stoners' in this thread, it's a bit ridiculous. Ah well.
dan cyr
Skippy:
Skip Hard
Skip Hard 2: Skip Harder
Skip Hard With A Vengeance
Coming soon. Yippee-kieaye-eh?
Skip-blog

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Post by Tsiangkun » 05 Oct 2005 09:15

Smoking weed is against the law.

What more do you need to know ?

Samurai
4square Warrior

Post by Samurai » 05 Oct 2005 09:25

yo lon doesnt smoke. get your facts right
Shreddaily wrote:
Started with sparse low lines, built intensity with rythmic variety, went to 16th note lines in high register, than went to octives, than block chords for my last chorus... If you understood that last sentance than you should be playing music and not checking the internet.

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Post by Slowsis » 05 Oct 2005 10:03

Tsiangkun wrote:Smoking weed is against the law.

What more do you need to know ?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hitler would have loved you!!! Just because something is against the law doen't mean its wrong. In North Korea free-speech is against the law, but does that make it wrong? In many middle eastern countries it is against the laws for a woman to walk alone in public or the show any skin in public....does that make showing skin wrong?

And let me explain my first comment before i get flamed to sh**. :?
Hitler took control of the German public so easily because he made laws that he said were right....and because of nationalism people believed since it was law.....it must be right!

Oh and your right....lon doesn't smoke, but he did for the last 8 years....
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Post by Tsiangkun » 05 Oct 2005 10:08

But it AGAINST THE LAW !!!!

Smoking weed supports terrorist, it leads to thoughts that circumvent the propaganda of the government, and it's illegal.

Just don't do it.

OBEY !

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Post by Slowsis » 05 Oct 2005 10:21

:roll: :lol:
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog

Faco
Fearless

Post by Faco » 05 Oct 2005 10:33

But it AGAINST THE LAW !!!!

Smoking weed supports terrorist, it leads to thoughts that circumvent the propaganda of the government, and it's illegal.

Just don't do it.

OBEY !
I hope this is a joke :)

Btw, it supports terrorizm BECAUSE it's illegal, ya know.
Ales Zazaro

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Post by Tsiangkun » 05 Oct 2005 11:03

There are no jokes in the war on terror, except the man leading the charge.

We must all submit our individuality and stay together as a single unit. That is the only way to win. Terrorist hate freedom and democracy, and slowly we are removing both from the American society. Soon there will be no freedom or democracy, then the terrorist will have lost the ability to hate us for such logical reasons.

Marijuana smokers are one of the last productive groups in the world to not give up their individual choices, and it's because of them that we have to slaughter 100,000s of thousands of people in Iraq.

Plus it's against the law. Just don't do it.

Faco
Fearless

Post by Faco » 05 Oct 2005 11:54

I didn't realize before that you have a great sense of humor :D :D

I am you,
you are me,
we are collective entity.
BORG!
Ales Zazaro

Seath
Craptacular Spatula

Post by Seath » 05 Oct 2005 12:12

I think I'm going to quit smoking pot.

When I feel it's hindering my choices and abilities.

I'll get back to everyone.

Man I wish I could get a job, successful relationship, do well in school and make something of my lazy "laugh at life" self. I wish I was ambitious. :(

Wow I never realized how getting a body buzz from smoking some flowers that is ten times less harmful than alcohol, tobacco, and every other illegal drug out there would really fuck my whole life over. I truly am a changed person.

I'll quit after this bowl.
The Goggles do nothing.

Do you like Mazes?!
Read my blog!

Blackend
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Blackend » 05 Oct 2005 12:22

I agree with Jeremy when he says that people who make bad choices/judgements on drugs will probably make the same bad choices sober. You can't throw everyone in the same bucket because there are a few rotten apples.

Like Ramathorn said on Super Troopers, "You can't lop us in with that fucking martian!" or something to the sort.
Sam Mayer

"Son, a woman is like a beer. They smell good, they look good, you'd step over your own mother just to get one!" - Homer Simpson

professor
Post Master General

Post by professor » 05 Oct 2005 14:24

professor wrote:The fact is all illegal drugs are illegal because they alter your mental state, specifically they destort your choice making abilities. This means while under the influence of drugs, you will do things you wouldn't normally do when you are sober.
Ok, so in light that I may be wrong about why drugs are illegal, I'll revise my statement.

I think doing illegal drugs is wrong....
professor wrote:because they alter your mental state, specifically they destort your choice making abilities. This means while under the influence of drugs, you will do things you wouldn't normally do when you are sober.
Ben Skaggs

Amateurs practice until they can get it right.
Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

No, I don't play soccer. Yes, there are competitions. 4 years. Lots of practice.