Bush Speaks, Media Sleeps.

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.
Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Bush Speaks, Media Sleeps.

Post by Tsiangkun » 08 Sep 2004 11:32

Yet another case of the reporters not stepping up and asking the tough questions.
TexanVillageIdiot wrote: He said he's only going to raise the tax on the so-called rich. But you know how the rich is *, they've got** accountants. That means you pay.***--George W Bush
here
I watched this speech, and while the quote changed by the time it got to print, ... the point is still mostly contained in the blurp.
  • * First, "rich" is plural in this usage. "Rich" refers to a collection of people, not a Rich, Rick, Richard, Tom, Dick or Harry. "Is" is a singular verb. Placing a singular verb next to a plural noun makes the president look like an idiot. See how much better it is with the correct word choice. "But you know how the rich are, . . ."

** "Got" is an incorrect word to use here. "Got" refers to an action of going out an getting, "Have" refers to objects in possesion. The president get's confused and decides to use them both. The sentence, "The rich have accountants and lawyers because they went out and got them to subvert the intent of the law.", illustrates the usages.

***This is not the quote I heard him say . . . this is the "approved" version. The original quote contained "got lawyers and accountants". Lawyers was edited out of the official version. Presumably because they are trying to paint the Kerry camp as in bed with lawyers . . . would not be good to let the secret out that the rich republicans have lawyers too.

I don't think Bush is qualified to evaluate a tax proposal from another candidate. I believe the man is too stupid to perform the mathematics himself to check Kerry's calculations, and too lazy to do so, even if I "misunderestimated" his abilities.

I think he touched on something very important with the way he illustrated the rich subverting the intent of the law while following the letter. Does anyone believe they won't have lawyers and accountants if Bushes tax cuts remain ? So what was his point again ? Where has the media gone ? Why are there no questions with follow up questions ?
Hey reporters, right now is when you can make a name for yourself, just by doing your job.

"Mr President, when you said the rich had accountants and lawyers, were you suggesting the rich circumvent the tax law by searching out loopholes ? "

"A follow up Mr President. Why do you believe the rich will be more likely to find loopholes under Kerry's tax plan than the current administration's ? "

"Finally, Mr President, what specific portions of the tax code would I have to read to find the sections where you closed these loop holes ?

--Tsiangkun

*SSSSSSHHHH* Can you hear that ? They say on a still night, the screams can be heard all over the country as she is raped again and again by the pinnacles of American culture.
The media would have reported it, but the images were deemed too graphic and alienated the advertisers.

FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 08 Sep 2004 12:34

Although I am a republican I must agree with you. Bush made another slip yesterday I believe where he said and I quote:

"We need to get the healthcare costs down so the OBGYNs can do what they do best which is get back to lovin on women."

I can't remember exactly what he said, but it was pretty damn funny and I'm sure it pissed off 52% of the nation.

This [ :arrow: pointing at Jeremy] is a case where proper grammar and word choice are essential. It most definately makes Bush look like an idiot to not only use bad grammar, but to make references to situations that he himself has used or uses.

If it hasn't been an issue, it should be, that a presidential candidate have more poise than we have seen. [he says knowing he is Bush bashing, but when Cameron is right I must agree]
Go out and shred already.
~Damon Mathews

max
Australofrenchbrityorkus

Post by max » 08 Sep 2004 15:38

I'm in no way stepping into this, but my american aunt gave me a "stupid quotes from G.W. Bush" calendar last year. It has one quote per day (minus week-ends).

His communications department must be trembling every time he steps up to a microphone.
Maxime Boucoiran
French ConneXion
BFC

HighDemonslayer
Egyptian Footgod

Post by HighDemonslayer » 09 Sep 2004 18:42

Of course Kerry's camp is in bed with lawyers, they ARE LAWYERS!

With loopholes exploited by lawyers being such a problem, the last 2 people you would want running the White House would be lawyers.

-n
Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

-----------------------------------
-nathan

Seath
Craptacular Spatula

Post by Seath » 09 Sep 2004 18:55

"Democracy becomes a government of bullies tempered by editors."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
The Goggles do nothing.

Do you like Mazes?!
Read my blog!