Bags You've Made

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
trentwingfield
Hack Fiend

Post by trentwingfield » 16 Jul 2012 13:36

Getting better, but I could really use some helpful criticism. If any experienced player+stitcher would like to take this off my hands for $10 or a trade, be my guest. 8)
-trent

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 16 Jul 2012 16:50

Gather and bite look like they're inconsistent.

Bite is the distance from the edge of the panels at which you are placing your stitches.

Gather is the amount of "scrunch" the fabric has when you're done with an edge.

I wrote two stitching tutorials a few years back. They're here in the B&E forum. Maybe give them a read?

So - get your bite, gather, and panel size to yield a size of bag that you like with no stitches showing. Then, make it 50-60% full, 70-80 grams. That should yield a good, playable bag.

Good luck! You're clearly on the right track. Consistency is king.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 17 Jul 2012 14:43

#500. Not for sale. Also, not playable. I was so excited about finding this gold material, but it's clear that it's too delicate for actual play. :( Good thing it's for a special lady that doesn't play footbag ;)

501 and 502 are for sale. ~80g. Disco plays great and lasts a long time.
BRICK!

nyfa

trentwingfield
Hack Fiend

Re: Bags You've Made

Post by trentwingfield » 20 Jul 2012 18:45

Sweet Snitch, Matt.

-new templates
-more gather
-less bite

Better, but still needs improvement.
-trent

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 23 Jul 2012 10:51

Trent,

Looks much much better. How does it play? How full is it, percentage-wise? How heavy?
BRICK!

nyfa

trentwingfield
Hack Fiend

Post by trentwingfield » 23 Jul 2012 12:00

Thanks, i agree. Plays fine as far as i can tell, but im not really qualified to make that judgement. Slightly less than 50%, 60 grams.
-trent

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 26 Jul 2012 12:24

I have been looking through this thread for the past few days and have been intimidated by the level of stitching - I just started a week ago, when Nick Polini taught me in between episodes of Monty Python and Mr. Bean. In the past week, I have made 5 bags out of microsuede and refrained from posting them, but since Nick threatened to stop teaching me new tricks unless I posted them, here goes. All advice and criticism is greatly appreciated as I want to get good at this wonderful thing you call "stitching".

I present to you "I^2 Bags"

Bags #1 & 2 - a bit large, but easier to stitch.
Bags #3 & 4 - new templates for each of them, still tweaking sizes
Bag #5 & panels/tools used to make it. Best bag to date. Templates are cut from 1/8" aluminum

There are other photos in the album that I didn't post in order to make this post shorter. http://photobucket.com/i2footbags
Thanks for looking!
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 27 Jul 2012 07:33

Nice progress! Keep the pictures coming. It's fun to see stitchers "get it".

Come visit us in NYC some time.
BRICK!

nyfa

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 28 Jul 2012 21:37

Thanks Matt! I hope to be at this year's East Coasts so perhaps we would see each other there. My stitching should be better as well :D
Bag #6 - atomic tiger
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

trentwingfield
Hack Fiend

Post by trentwingfield » 28 Jul 2012 22:22

Absolutely wonderful. Great first few bags.
-trent

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 28 Jul 2012 22:52

Thanks Trent! I am not an experienced player or stitcher, but I would be willing to trade a bag in a week or two once I get my bags how I like 'em - if the offer from your post higher on this page still stands. I really like how your bags look. Perhaps by then I will get some ultrasuede light - the microsuede I am using right now makes even a shitty bag playable and decent looking so I kinda feel like I am cheating :? .

Next bag = all tiger material.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 29 Jul 2012 22:33

Well, that didn't turn out how I envisioned it... oh well... you win some, you lose some. The stitching and gather is much more consistent on this one - however, my last few bags deform and kinda flop when they stall, and don't get back to round unless you swirl it in your hand. I enjoy cushy bags, but I would like to know what causes this? Is this the microsuede fabric, the amount of gather, or a combination of both factors? I would like to be able to have more control on how stallable my bags are.

#7 - Tiger turd
If you couldn't tell by its name, I am not too thrilled with how this bag looked - back to plain patterns for the next few.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

D.
Shredalicious

Post by D. » 30 Jul 2012 05:19

^^Nice bags Isirc. Microsuede will tend to be more floppy than ultrasuede, or so was my experience. It stalls really easy, but either the stitching will tear out, or the fabric wears quickly. You will love stitching with ultrasuede when you get some. Doesn't fray at all, and just feels cool!

These 2 bags are special orders for Xsisbest. He liked the last bags I sent him so much that he had to have more!

ImageImageImage

Also, that's one of my cool new modelling golf balls... I have a few more for upcoming photo shoots, and something special coming later this week!

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 02 Aug 2012 15:13

isirc10 wrote: Bag #5 & panels/tools used to make it. Best bag to date. Templates are cut from 1/8" aluminum
First of all, this bag arrived in my mail the other day. Ivan was VERY quick to pick up stitching, as he was with footbag, in general. He's got a keen eye for consistency. The bag is really awesome. I don't know how he did it. He's just a genius :P Once Ivan starts selling, but bags from him.

I just finished an order for Zach Jahner.

Very pleased with them :) Hope he likes them!
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 02 Aug 2012 18:08

Thanks a ton for the kind words - glad you are enjoying the bag I sent you Nick. I am currently on vacation - I made this bag today as I was tubing down the Susquehanna River - so relaxing.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 02 Aug 2012 21:04

Ivan... You are going to start sucking at footbag if you keep stitching bags and not playing :P JK, keep it up man. Can't wait til we all move in and we can have stitch/shred sessions in the living room.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Eskimo Joe
Cold Blooded

Post by Eskimo Joe » 06 Aug 2012 17:41

Nice bags everyone. Here are a few I have made in the last week or so.
Flash red facile, blue amaretta
Tan amaretta, pink (rapture rose?) facile
dark blue amaretta and jaguar facile

sunshine yellow, rapture rose, splash blue
burnt orange, jaguar

All heavy (66+) all for sale for $30 cdn w shipping. All filled with lead except teh large tan/pink, it has some stainless steel shot. About 45-55% full.
Eskimo Joe

D.
Shredalicious

Post by D. » 08 Aug 2012 04:12

^Nice bags. 8)

So I didn't quite get the pics by the end of last week... but better late than never.
A little something special.
It's not oddly shaped, just looks it in the pic... Both med/thick colours. Made to last! For trade if anyone wants it.

And a little something for someone special to me:
She loves it!

Ps. Forgive me for the poor image clarity/brightness. Was trying out the camera on my new phone. Will stick with a real camera!

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 08 Aug 2012 18:50

Every one has such incredible bags! D. - I am a fan of the star pattern, it would be cool to see one with blue and white with that. Oh, and your phone's camera is quite good, at least for photos viewed on the internet!
Bags #9 and #10 - the red pattern is inverted on the other side and the blue is a tri-swirl design.
I am tempted to start selling mine soon (although seeing all of the other sweet bags posted makes me doubt how my bags could possibly even come close to matching those on the market) - any hints or advice from the experienced stitchers out there?
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

mahhkohh
Flower Child

Post by mahhkohh » 13 Aug 2012 14:04

batch for freedomfootbags... guess you can order them from there within the next few days/2weeks (or get a custom one if want ;) )
come get your mÃcrÖ¶ bag today
buy one of my bags and help finance my guitar lessons :)
mäcrö hartig