Precautions with lead

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
Muffinman
the gimp

Precautions with lead

Post by Muffinman » 07 Aug 2007 00:46

I was told to wear gloves while filling a bag with lead shot.
In that washing bags thread it occurred to me that there is a potential danger in washing a lead bag, because...stuff comes out, right?

Does anybody have any suggestions for how to treat a lead bag? Do they become dangerous if, like, lead dusts develops and seeps out? Is it dangerous to wash?

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 07 Aug 2007 03:30

I would only imagine so. I mean, if you look at all the people who have lead poisoning, you generally see because their house has Lead Paint. I don't know the ins and outs of it all, but I don't think people go around liking their wallpaper, so I can only imagine that people get the poisoning from the occasional contact, or if it depreciated and got into the air.

I wore rubber gloves when filling a bag with lead, and when washing I always wash my hands thoroughly after I am done the bags. Also, after a session using a nice lead bag, I wash my hands pretty decently as well.

I know David asked his doctor about Lead not to long ago, hopefully he posts in here too...
Jay Boychuk

Virppa
Shredaholic

Post by Virppa » 07 Aug 2007 04:26

There has been this speculation over lead for years now. I use lead and don´t use any protection, why? I asked from my chemistry and physics teachers couple years ago and they said it´s ok to use it. I also asked from my family doctor who said it´s ok as long as I don´t eat it.

It´s true that lead is poison and for example you can´t use lead shots with a shotgun, when you are hunting birds that live near water like ducks or similar (at least not in Finland). Lead is much much more dangerous when you smelt it and inhale it, touching lead is ok. As far as I know no one smelts their filler.

Really, I rather fear getting a cancer for eating too much of chips than getting some symptoms handling lead.

Hope this helps, Antti ;)
Antti Virolainen

sanuke okumatzu
Fearless

Post by sanuke okumatzu » 07 Aug 2007 07:23

Just be careful when you're handling it, other than that there's really no real danger to it. Don't eat it or play in it then stick your fingers in your mouth. Unless it's 100% pure lead ( I seriously would doubt that), touching it is fine, just so long as you wash your hands afterwards.
As the universe is curved, there cannot be a straight answer...

-Robert Baker-

Eskimo Joe
Cold Blooded

Post by Eskimo Joe » 07 Aug 2007 09:28

I just spoke with my doctor about lead and mentioned that I use it for footbag fabrication.

He said that unless I am eating it or inhaling tons of dust that there is no real health risk, even with all the exposure. I use extra hard lead shot and he said that would also reduce the risk.

I then asked about when I wash the bags and all the lead comes out. That also poses minimal risks. Even if I have cuts on my hands, as long as I wash my hands when I am done.

So lead is toxic, it just takes huge amounts of it in your blood stream to pose a risk. I am also going to get some of my blood tested and will post back when that is done.

I think that the test reults will be a good post b/c it will show that lead is safe to use, just don't eat it or let it get in a cut and heal over.

I also have a 5 year old and he said that the risk to her is very minimal and that there should not be an elevated level in her blood either.

I feel very comfortable using lead and will continue to do so. Like I said, I will post the results of the blood test in about two weeks.

Andrew
Eskimo Joe

sanuke okumatzu
Fearless

Post by sanuke okumatzu » 07 Aug 2007 12:01

my dad had to work in a lead mine all his life to get lead poisoning.

handling footbags is very minimal exposure when compared to that. Hell, you're more likely to get more lead from drinking water than handling a footbag

-Robert Baker-

Benzilla
The Professional

Post by Benzilla » 07 Aug 2007 12:05

phew. I can now feel safe about using lead shot in my footbags. Thanks alot for the info guys 8)

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 07 Aug 2007 16:49

Yeah; thank you :)
I will probably be using lead too, since I can't seem to get steel shot in my city.

Alejandro
Shredalicious

no, isn`t toxic for stitchers

Post by Alejandro » 07 Aug 2007 18:57

I`m physician (general practicioner) and all mine bags are fill with lead, I just wash my hands, I don`t use any protection for wash/fill bags.
don`t worry if you usually don`t eat lead.

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Post by Tsiangkun » 07 Aug 2007 20:17

I used to be a painter.

Lead is dangerous, if you breath it in. But, as you know, lead shot is not very easy to inhale.

With lead paint, if someone is sanding walls to paint again, then it is very easy to breath in lead.

psychologically, it's better to avoid lead. It makes people feel safer, and more bags will be sold.

Who knows how much dust gets pounded into the skin from footbaging with lead bags though . . . that is the real danger to us.

The end.

ShredEX
Shredaholic

Post by ShredEX » 07 Aug 2007 20:53

Tsiangkun wrote:I used to be a painter.

Who knows how much dust gets pounded into the skin from footbaging with lead bags though . . . that is the real danger to us.

The end.
Oh no my Lavers have lead poisoning.
Toby Smith

First Comes Form Then Content
Each One Teach One
To Each Their Own

ObArA'BaRs
Flower Child

Post by ObArA'BaRs » 07 Aug 2007 21:44

what about hand massaging lead filled bags?
Im 20
JSACK wrote: wrote:alright well me and obara'bars, shredded our dicks off, since we are both in high school, obviously there is some sort of talent show

Keep footbag'n till yo skins saggin.......

ShredEX
Shredaholic

Post by ShredEX » 07 Aug 2007 22:29

wash your hands afterwards to be on the safe side.
Toby Smith

Each One Teach One
To Each Their Own

sanuke okumatzu
Fearless

Post by sanuke okumatzu » 08 Aug 2007 11:07

ShredEX wrote:wash your hands afterwards to be on the safe side.
yeah.... don't have a vigorous...( damn...couldn't get the spelling on that right, damn keyboard) rubbing session then suck on your fingers....

-Robert Baker-

ShredEX
Shredaholic

Post by ShredEX » 08 Aug 2007 16:50

sanuke okumatzu wrote:
ShredEX wrote:wash your hands afterwards to be on the safe side.
yeah.... don't have a vigorous rubbing session then suck on your fingers
This all depends on who you are rubbing!
Toby Smith

Each One Teach One
To Each Their Own

monkeybilla
Shredalicious

Post by monkeybilla » 09 Aug 2007 04:43

if my dog or cat were to eat the footbag filled with lead shot would they die? :(
havent footbaged for a while but im back.

Benzilla
The Professional

Post by Benzilla » 09 Aug 2007 06:10

Im pretty sure if they did not die they would get very sick, "Lead Poisoning".

Virppa
Shredaholic

Post by Virppa » 09 Aug 2007 11:54

Depends of the size of the pet and ammount of lead it ate. Have to ask from veterinary next time I see one. Probably will at least get some symptoms so keep your bags safe.
Antti Virolainen

Benzilla
The Professional

Post by Benzilla » 09 Aug 2007 18:14

Tsiangkun wrote: Lead is dangerous, if you breath it in.
Is it possible to breath in residue and/or powder created in a footbag after use and play? The sack my lead shot came in had grey dust and crap on the inside. Does this happen to the inside of a footbag?

brinard
Flower Child

Post by brinard » 09 Aug 2007 21:04

yeah, just try not to put the footbag in your mouth and/or breath thru a straw in the bleed hole.

but otherwise, you should be fine.