Footbag Prices

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.

What are good footbags worth?

30 bucks
87%
51-80 bucks
13%

Total votes: 23

Senor Grommet
Post Master General

Footbag Prices

Post by Senor Grommet » 02 Nov 2007 17:57

Price of Footbags 10 years ago: 30 dollars
Price of today's footbags cost: 30 dollars

30 dollars per bag = roughly 7.50-8.00 dollars per hour

I don't know about you, but I get paid more than 25 dollars per hour because i have a real job. For making footbags to be an economically intelligent endeavor, I'd be charging about 80-90 bucks a bag.

Inflation happens, for everything, just think of gas. 10 years ago, gas was waaaay under 2 bucks, but now? Somehow, footbags still cost the same as they always have. If someone wants to charge 50, awesome. That's not too much money unless people aren't willing to pay it. Just think about how many times you get to use the product for the actual money you have to pay for it. You're paying practically nothing! Who agrees with me?

The ONLY reason that footbag prices do not keep increasing with the cost of inflation is that stitchers are picking up the art at younger ages, 30 dollars seems like a lot to them, and they don't have the balls (or vaginas) to charge what the products are actually worth.

If I were stitching now, I'd be charging at least 50 bucks. If you didn't want to pay it, fine. I wouldn't stitch for you. That's that.
My name: Jeremy Mirken, AKA Chocolatey Shatner, AKA jerk enemy rim.

I kick it with trunk chef elf and liz luck key my.

CIC flurry
Amazingly Sexy Man-Beast

Post by CIC flurry » 02 Nov 2007 18:45

I bought 2 bags at the beginning of the year, and they are about at the end of their usefulness now. I play a lot, but don't do toe roll ups. So let's say that's an average of 4 months per bag. I think that's a pretty long time, and worth more than 30 bucks to me.

At first I didn't like the gas analogy, because that isn't caused by inflation, BUT maybe footbag prices follow the gas thing better than inflation: all of a sudden people realize that they are willing to pay more for what they need, and maybe that's how much thing should have cost in the first place.

I mean, as a consumer of footbags, I certainly don't want to have to pay more, but that goes without saying. At the same time, on the other side of the spectrum (from the stitcher), you make a good point of how much time goes into them, and how valuable they are.

Mirken bags are worth their eight in gold. So if I give 100 bucks will you come out of stitching retirement for me? :)

Zeb Jackson
Post Master General

Post by Zeb Jackson » 02 Nov 2007 19:15

I would tend to agree Jeremy, i think the only reason I charge 30/25$ is because when i started that was the norm, so me thinking of raising the price of my bag would only hurt my own sales, what do you think of that?

im not sure either, and i totally agree with you.

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 02 Nov 2007 19:52

I've felt this way for a while too. It's one thing that has sorta discouraged me from stitching a bit since my real job generates money so much more efficiently.

Why don't we all just raise our prices at the same time? It's not like people won't buy footbags anymore. Or if that does happen then there will just be like a billion new stitchers and that's awesome too.

Whatever, let's hack? :)
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

Guydro
Multidex Master

Post by Guydro » 02 Nov 2007 20:02

Hey mosher...... Can I get a bag before you all raise your prices?
My girlfriend thinks I'm a dork.............:lol:
But she loves me anyways.
richardabshire wrote: There is only a handful of people on this planet that actually shred. The rest are only spectators.

"Guydro F. Hydro"
Guy Herndon

Pengu
think pink

Post by Pengu » 02 Nov 2007 20:17

I make more money buying and selling magic cards...

but then again, it doesn't take me 4 hrs to make a footbag.

I know Waylon raised his prices. Maybe I should too since I can't keep up with demand?
Pengpeng Du

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 03 Nov 2007 00:27

Yeah, 40 seems like a fair price these days for a pro-stitched bag. I wouldn't just all of a sudden go to the 50-60 range. A staggered raise in price over time is always better. You can't get a decent skateboard for 30 bucks haha.

I stopped selling bags because yeah, it's just not worth the money for how much time it takes. I'll wait til 60 bucks is the norm and I'll start selling again lol.
J. Chris "Thread-killer" Miller

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 03 Nov 2007 03:04

I would never pay $40+ for a hacky sack.
I picked up stitching because $20 for a hacky is a lot, and I don't want to pay that. I've had hacks that last between 2-6 sessions... $50 for that?
I stitch so that I have bags to play with myself, and because I enjoy stitching and getting better.

Footbag isn't a career, and I think that it's in general agreement that it would be pretty tough to make a decent income from it. Having said that, how can we hold MAKING hacks (which takes waaaaayyy less dedication, in my opinion) to a higher standard?

The thing that stood out to me was the "keeping up with demand". I've never sold a bag that I've made, and so I obviously have no idea what it's like to have popular bags and a demand. This seems like the only way that I, as a stitcher, could justify charging such a ridiculous price (mostly to cut down the amount of bags I would be forced to make...). I guess that's probably the perspective that you're coming from, Jeremy, since your bags are super duper popular. I think getting $20 for a hack would be nice; again I've never sold, or had to keep up with demand, so I don't REALLY know, but I'm 25 and expect a decent income...
...Well, I think mine is some interesting perspective, so... Just thoughts.

Rieferman
Flower Child

Post by Rieferman » 03 Nov 2007 07:37

If really nice hand stitched footbags raised dramatically in price, I'd probably just buy a lesser footbag, or learn to make them myself. I've played a lot with amazing bags, and a lot with bags lower on the spectrum. Although it's more fun to play with an amazing bag, it doesn't make a huge enough difference for me to warrant the price increase.

In fact, I purposely practice with three bags >> a floppy beat bag, a somewhat mini less stallable bag, and a 4 panel sand bag. I figure when I go to events, you never know how nice the bag is in the circle, so its good to be used to many kinds. I gotta say, I don't play any worse or better with any of the three bags (which I paid between $10 and $30 for).
Bob R.

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 03 Nov 2007 10:58

it takes me ~3 hours to make a bag. I do it when I want. I get a LOT of pleasure from my stitching when I sell a bag to someone who is genuinely excited to get one of mine. I also get a lot of pleasure out of giving them as gifts unexpectedly.

$30 is a lot for a hacky sack. Yes it takes a while to make, but fuck, $40? Right now, I'm making about $10 an hour stitching footbags at my leisure. That's better than any job has paid me, but I am an uneducated slacker loon. Actually, now that I mention it, music pays me between 200 and 500 percent more per professional hour, but that doesn't count my countless hours of practice.

anyway, $30 isn't a problem for me. I stitch when I want. I like to see people's faces when I sell them and they get excited. I like making a good bag.

If everyone else started charging $35, I might raise my price a little bit, just to keep from getting even more demand; my current demand is already more than I can handle (basically, I've never met it).
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

LEGOMAN
Egyptian Footgod

Post by LEGOMAN » 03 Nov 2007 11:10

if the prices get really bad ill just use what little facile i have and make my own bags lol
People that like LEGOMAN - 10
People that hate LEGOMAN - 1000
LEGOMAN´s posts - Priceless

HG
^^^^^pwn3d

Post by HG » 03 Nov 2007 17:35

if prices go any higher i'll just quit
JSACK wrote:alright well me and obara'bars, shredded our dicks off, since we are both in high school, obviously there is some sort of talent show

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 03 Nov 2007 17:55

It seems to me like stitching has become an extra cash side job for high school and college kids. Obviously when you look at the hourly rate on a bag, many jobs pay better. For people with college degrees and a good paying job, it's generally not worth their time. This is why I've never gotten into stitching.

Yes the phenomenon of the $30 handmade 32 panel footbag is a the result of sacrifice and general altruism of stitchers who are willing to make bags for a relatively low hourly rate of pay. It's part of the love of the game. I don't think we're exploiting these people. Everyone contributes to the greater good of footbag in their own way (or at least most people do) and stitching bags for $30 is one way.

If you don't like the idea that you're making too little for your efforts, sell at a higher price or don't sell bags. But don't turn it into some tirade about how you're being undercut by cheap child labor, gimme a break.

brinard
Flower Child

Post by brinard » 03 Nov 2007 19:55

ive bought 5 footbags. i wont purchase another, not for 30, not for 50. i wouldnt even pay 5$ for a footbag.

but thats why i stitch.

i think anyone who pays 50$ for a footbag is crazy. ill make you a better one for 15$ less. guaranteed.

gMoney
Think Pink

Post by gMoney » 03 Nov 2007 20:23

Whenever I tell people that I bought a bag for $30, they freak out :lol: When bags start going for 50-80 is when I start stitching again (seriously) and never buying anymore bags. The way I see it, the sport isn't big enough to start charging too much money for bags. $80 wouldn't be that bad of a price for a truly great bag, but nobody would buy a bag for $80. It's not practical. Especially since we don't have our own fabric or fillers yet. Most stitchers buy from Field's fabrics, which sells a couple fabrics that are pretty much impossible to use for footbags. We're buying from a company that sells facile to drapery and curtain companies, not to major footbag compaines. We're also buying fillers that are used for guns and other things. I forgot where I was going with this!!! :evil: Oh well, just take my post for what it was, just a seemingly mindless rant, and add onto it if you can see where I was going :roll:
Grant Mooney
Footblog
Challenge

PegLegHolly
Swashbuckler

Post by PegLegHolly » 03 Nov 2007 20:43

HG wrote:if prices go any higher i'll just quit
i think ive sent you like 3 free footbags at least. when did you start buying them ;)

i dont think footbags should be priced more than $35. i would never buy a footbag for $40+. i guess i dont see stitching footbags as a living, so that's why i dont think they should cost more. sure, it's about $8 an hour, but its fun and isnt stressfull... ya know? right now i make better money selling footbags than i do cleaning poop... so i cant complain.

not to mention footbags are temporary. i have enough trouble convincing myself to buy shoes or pants that are over $40...
Holly Mathews
peglegholly.com

Chase
Shredaholic

Post by Chase » 04 Nov 2007 07:25

i have never bought a bag. i almost bought one from Peng, but it was durring worlds and her e-mail was too full. So I started stitching, and will probably never buy a bag. It has become more of a way to occupy my mind and gain some kind of self gratitude when i create something (like learning a new trick)

I have only sold a few ($30 each) and couldn't see myself charging any more than 30 for something i do while watching TV or listening to the radio. $35 or $40 should be reserved for Top stitchers (i.e. people with too much demand) I'm not a popular stitcher outside of Maine, but if demand were encroaching on my personal life, I would charge a bit more.
Chase Card-Burns

ObArA'BaRs
Flower Child

Post by ObArA'BaRs » 04 Nov 2007 09:40

I don't know about you, but I get paid more than 25 dollars per hour because i have a real job. For making footbags to be an economically intelligent endeavor, I'd be charging about 80-90 bucks a bag.
I thought stichers stiched because they wanted to help the footbag community grow and evolve, not because they want to make a living off of it ?

Not all stichers take 3-4+ hours to make a footbag. Professional stichers who charge 30-35 shouldn't take 4 hours, right?

I know some stichers who make awesome bags within 1 hour 30min to 2 hours of their time and charge about $30 or so.

Is $15 an hour that bad for doing something you enjoy doing(unless you don't enjoy stiching and helping out the footbag community and its all about the money.)?
i dont think footbags should be priced more than $35. i would never buy a footbag for $40+. i guess i dont see stitching footbags as a living, so that's why i dont think they should cost more. sure, it's about $8 an hour, but its fun and isnt stressfull... ya know? right now i make better money selling footbags than i do cleaning poop... so i cant complain.
That was the answer I was looking for Holly. :)
Im 20
JSACK wrote: wrote:alright well me and obara'bars, shredded our dicks off, since we are both in high school, obviously there is some sort of talent show

Keep footbag'n till yo skins saggin.......

Dat
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Re: Footbag Prices

Post by Dat » 04 Nov 2007 10:17

Senor Grommet wrote:Price of Footbags 10 years ago: 30 dollars
Price of today's footbags cost: 30 dollars
Inflation happens, for everything, just think of gas. 10 years ago, gas was waaaay under 2 bucks, but now? Somehow, footbags still cost the same as they always have.
Footbags have not stayed the same prices. They have gone up. You charged 20-25 dollars 5 years ago. I don't think Ritchie was charging 35 for a regular 32 back in 1997. I think you're giving too much importance to inflation and ignoring the influence of competition increasing supply. There are far more stitchers now than 10 years ago. If stitcher A starts increasing prices, I still have stitchers B through Z to choose from. I'm not desperate to just buy Felix or Mosher bags; most bags play same enough for me.

Also like C07, more people can easily make their own bags compared to 10 years ago. So rather than just choosing which bag to buy, they now also have the option of making it themselves, decreasing demand.

The niche trade of making footbags is not comparable to a white-collar, college degree requiring job.
If someone wants to charge 50, awesome. That's not too much money unless people aren't willing to pay it. Just think about how many times you get to use the product for the actual money you have to pay for it. You're paying practically nothing! Who agrees with me?
Paying 35-50 dollars is not the same as paying nothing. You're paying to own a footbag, the right to take it home, carry it around and destroy it if you want to, not to rent it for use.
The ONLY reason that footbag prices do not keep increasing with the cost of inflation is that stitchers are picking up the art at younger ages, 30 dollars seems like a lot to them, and they don't have the balls (or vaginas) to charge what the products are actually worth.
Many younger stitchers don't need money in the same way older people do, as most of them don't have to pay for rent, food, utilities, car payments, gas, etc. 30/bag untaxed is plenty if you just want pocket money and are not trying to survive.

People sell things for what they think they're worth, not to prove their masculinity.
If I were stitching now, I'd be charging at least 50 bucks. If you didn't want to pay it, fine. I wouldn't stitch for you. That's that.
If people don't see the worth in the premium for your bags, it's better for them anyway. They can be happier spending their money elsewhere.
Dat Phan
-

CL: openFrameworks

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 04 Nov 2007 12:55

Iron Clad Ben wrote:For people with college degrees and a good paying job, it's generally not worth their time. This is why I've never gotten into stitching.
I have a bachelor degree. It's definitely not about the money.

Back in around '99 I would have to pay around $60 for a Juice or Carol bag, because I live in Canada and the exchange was much more in the favour of the U.S.A.; plus, there was shipping and duties that contributed to that cost. I guess I'm saying that I know what it's like to pay a LOT for a bag, and I'm still not willing to pay, like, half of that.

I'm not too concerned about the prices of bags myself, because I don't plan to depend on buying them. I like the discussion, though.