Novice: Cutting Inside-Mesh (instead of Canvas?)

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
baserock love
Hack Fiend

Post by baserock love » 23 Sep 2010 19:37

wait, i'm a little confused. almost every random mod video and writeup i've seen has said to trim the outside material from lavers leaving the cottony stuff on the inside behind. The reasoning being that the cottony stuff grips the footbag and is flimsier to allow it to cup the bag a bit better.

I'm actually playing in unmodded lavers and doing fine at least for my level, i have them laced properly and that's it. In about a week and a half total practice time (took a week off to let a sore tendon heel) i've managed to get 50 consecutive kicks easily both side clipper stalls on lock more or less, toe, inside, outside stalls on lock and i can hit a simple dex move with my right foot most of the time (no idea what it's called, most people i meet not really into footbag call it around the world. Toe stall, spin around the bag to toe stall. Still gotta learn all this jargon). I guess given how easy it is to do the simple basic stalls in unmodded lavers, i sorta fail to see how modding them will really improve my game, at least enough to justify cutting the shit out of a pair of 55 dollar shoes that would be quite nice looking otherwise.

Once these lavers get dirty tot he point they don't look sexy anymore, i'll mod them and see what's up with it then by another pair of white/green lavers just for wearing because i'm rather fond of how they look.
Colin Arjuna Davenport

Check out my footblog and help guide me. So many tricks to learn, not sure where to go next.

http://www.modified.in/footbag/viewtopi ... 508#451508

RipWalker
BSOS Beast

Post by RipWalker » 24 Sep 2010 03:28

Colin,

Glad to hear that the unmodded Lavers are working out for you! Mine are actually less modded than most so I can relate, to an extent. All of the mods that I've seen for lavers, with the exception of a few of the more recent ones, involve cutting off the inside fabric to leave the thinner mesh behind (we're talking about regular, mesh Lavers here, not leather or twill or anything else).

The thought it that leaving the outside layer there, which is thinner and more breathable, improves air flow in the shoe (this may be a minor but beneficial side effect) and, more importantly, improves bag feel. I can feel the bag on the inside surface of my shoe much better than I would be able to with both layers of fabric or even, arguably, with just the thicker, inside layer.

Being that I cut off the inside layer of material only (I've only done the insides but plan to do the toes soon), my shoes still look the same from the outside and unless I slip and cut through both layers, the inside material mod is transparent to most passers-by.

I'm not really an expert on the subject though -- just wanted to share my experiences.

P.S. - That trick is called an Around the World, yes. :)
Mark Bull

baserock love
Hack Fiend

Post by baserock love » 24 Sep 2010 13:38

RipWalker wrote:Colin,

Glad to hear that the unmodded Lavers are working out for you! Mine are actually less modded than most so I can relate, to an extent. All of the mods that I've seen for lavers, with the exception of a few of the more recent ones, involve cutting off the inside fabric to leave the thinner mesh behind (we're talking about regular, mesh Lavers here, not leather or twill or anything else).

The thought it that leaving the outside layer there, which is thinner and more breathable, improves air flow in the shoe (this may be a minor but beneficial side effect) and, more importantly, improves bag feel. I can feel the bag on the inside surface of my shoe much better than I would be able to with both layers of fabric or even, arguably, with just the thicker, inside layer.

Being that I cut off the inside layer of material only (I've only done the insides but plan to do the toes soon), my shoes still look the same from the outside and unless I slip and cut through both layers, the inside material mod is transparent to most passers-by.

I'm not really an expert on the subject though -- just wanted to share my experiences.

P.S. - That trick is called an Around the World, yes. :)
Hmm ok thanks for the input. Other then the toe box mod, this really seems like much ado about nothing. It's so popular, theres probably something to it. If the bag lands in the right place for my stalls it doesn't seem to matter if i can feel it or not. Although i must say moving from a 30 gram plastic filled juice up to a metal filled 65 gram freestyle bag, i can feel it anyways.

The way i see it right now with the my unmodded toe box, i have a smaller target to hit for toe stall moves and if i can hit that small target every time, when i mod them it'll be even easier.
Colin Arjuna Davenport

Check out my footblog and help guide me. So many tricks to learn, not sure where to go next.

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 24 Sep 2010 16:19

baserock love wrote:If the bag lands in the right place for my stalls it doesn't seem to matter if i can feel it or not. Although i must say moving from a 30 gram plastic filled juice up to a metal filled 65 gram freestyle bag, i can feel it anyways.
This is how I feel about it. Bearing that in mind, i prefer to have a thicker material for (what I'm hoping gives me) a little more structural stability. I like to leave both the layers on the outside of the shoe because, when I have bad form and my clipper hits the ground on a swirl or a set, I have a little more material there to take the blow.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

baserock love
Hack Fiend

Post by baserock love » 24 Sep 2010 19:29

mc wrote:
baserock love wrote:If the bag lands in the right place for my stalls it doesn't seem to matter if i can feel it or not. Although i must say moving from a 30 gram plastic filled juice up to a metal filled 65 gram freestyle bag, i can feel it anyways.
This is how I feel about it. Bearing that in mind, i prefer to have a thicker material for (what I'm hoping gives me) a little more structural stability. I like to leave both the layers on the outside of the shoe because, when I have bad form and my clipper hits the ground on a swirl or a set, I have a little more material there to take the blow.
Glad i'm not the only one.

Love your vids on youtube btw. Found you by accident last night and subscribed. You rip man!
Colin Arjuna Davenport

rSSn
Hack Fiend

Post by rSSn » 25 Sep 2010 05:50

Hey man, whatever works for you.

Cutting out the first eyelet just gave me more room on the toebox without those side-rails, I kinda prefer it that way, suddenly I've found it easier to set/land all sorts of 1-dex moves I couldn't do before...

I like the more thicker surfaces on my sides and a thin toebox, and the Brocka mod (as Matt mentioned in one of his videos way back) does help some people with ankle restriction - it certainly ended up helping me!

It's always personal preference - I'm sure there are people out there with unmodded lavers (you might be one of them) who are progressing way faster than me. :oops:

baserock love
Hack Fiend

Post by baserock love » 26 Sep 2010 00:55

rSSn wrote:Hey man, whatever works for you.

Cutting out the first eyelet just gave me more room on the toebox without those side-rails, I kinda prefer it that way, suddenly I've found it easier to set/land all sorts of 1-dex moves I couldn't do before...

I like the more thicker surfaces on my sides and a thin toebox, and the Brocka mod (as Matt mentioned in one of his videos way back) does help some people with ankle restriction - it certainly ended up helping me!

It's always personal preference - I'm sure there are people out there with unmodded lavers (you might be one of them) who are progressing way faster than me. :oops:
Well if you're landing "all sorts of dex moves" then i'm probably not :lol:

True i've only been trying to learn serious freestyle for a little over a week but the only dex move i can do is around the world and i'm not even consistent with that yet.
Colin Arjuna Davenport