Adidas Americana - new Laver alternative

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
will_T
Multidex Master

Adidas Americana - new Laver alternative

Post by will_T » 17 Dec 2009 13:51

i don't recall seeing anyone post about these, but if i'm repeat posting, forgive me. i just got back from some christmas shopping and i stopped in at Foot Locker along the way to see if they had any Lavers in colors other than white leather.

Oh Snap! Guess what I saw!

a little more flair than the normal one or two tone Lavers, and they're MESH. the only differences i see from Lavers are the stripes (easily removed with a blade) and the tread pattern on the bottom (also doesn't say 'Laver' but who cares). if i didn't just drop hundreds of dollars on other people I would have snagged them right then and there. they had lots of other styles for this shoe, but i liked the white mesh ones the best. the toe box is literally identical. same price I paid in store for my Lavers last year, $64.99.

high res pics, check it out
http://www.streething.com/wp-content/up ... a-lo-1.jpg

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 17 Dec 2009 14:02

I wonder how the weight compares.

They look great!
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

calemccoy
Flower Child

Post by calemccoy » 17 Dec 2009 15:43

the sole looks alot heavier to me... but otherwise, crazy similarities!
my footblog
bombbags for sale
-cale mccoy-
RVFA footbag

will_T
Multidex Master

Post by will_T » 18 Dec 2009 00:55

well, i bought em, couldn't resist. quick weight stats:

stock leather lavers, size 9.5: 459 grams each
these bad boys, size 9.5: 433 grams each out of the box

never owned mesh lavers, but i imagine it's comparable. they're comfy too :)

EDIT: sole to sole, the profile is identical. yay

DOUBLE EDIT: these are the weights with the laces in
Last edited by will_T on 21 Dec 2009 01:56, edited 1 time in total.

hrdcorethndr1
Shredaholic

Post by hrdcorethndr1 » 18 Dec 2009 08:19

For comparison:

Size 10.5 rod laver tennis shoes weigh around 382 grams out of the box
and have you tried to modify them at all?
Zachary Morgan

will_T
Multidex Master

Post by will_T » 18 Dec 2009 11:41

nope. i got them because i finally modded my leather ones that i had been walking around in for over a year. i'll walk in these for a while, then when the time's right i'll mod them.

waiting for my other computer to boot so i can upload comparison pics. i think i see a couple minor differences that could account for those extra grams. namely the 3 leather stripes on each side and the wraparound leather cuff. it's also possible that they are made with 3 layers rather than the normal 2. i had a pair of hemp superstar 2's that were similar (but with a shelltoe) and they had the hemp outer, a canvas center, and the normal thin mesh inner. however, that i won't know until i take a knife to them.

pics:

ImageImage
pretty similar

ImageImage
just noticed the difference in the toe area. the lip on these is a little smaller. check out the cuff too.

Jazzkid
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Jazzkid » 18 Dec 2009 19:15

DUDE , I almost bought these yesterday. when you cut them , let me know whats underneath. If Its cool , ill buy too

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 19 Dec 2009 10:32

or, instead of cutting, give us a pic and description of what's inside the shoe?
BRICK!

nyfa

will_T
Multidex Master

Post by will_T » 19 Dec 2009 14:39

hard to show in a pic, but held up to light they are pretty translucent, so they don't have a 3rd layer. perhaps the insole is more dense? for what it's worth i give these a thumbs up.

jazzkid: they are the same materials as mesh lavers. i say go for it :)

Jazzkid
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Jazzkid » 19 Dec 2009 16:14

Yo, thanks
I saw the insides and it is softer than my mesh lavers on the inside of the shoe. Im worried that if I cut the outer part of the shoe off that the there wont be an inside layer that will hold up. No third layer? I forgot, do leather lavers have a third layer. THe mesh have the mesh , then the inside material . The soles look thinner than lavers too. Im probably going to get a pair tommorow.

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 19 Dec 2009 17:35

If they have the same inner layer as leather lavers, I don't recommend it. It's always been too weak for me (a person who wears his lavers tightly).

remove the inner (and maybe the stripes, but if you're gonna do that, why buy them?) - the outer looks fine!
BRICK!

nyfa

Donovon
Multidex Master

Post by Donovon » 20 Feb 2010 10:11

So whats the latest on these shoes? Now that its been some time.

~Donovon

will_T
Multidex Master

Post by will_T » 21 Feb 2010 19:00

not much to report really, i've been using them to walk around in since i've got Lavers and recently received my Nucleus shoes. i stand by my claim that they would make great footbag shoes due to their very close similarities to the Rod Laver shoe.

but the nucleus is lighter, so until i kill them to death i'm using my americanas as walkin-around kicks. and for impromptu circle kicking of course.

Donovon
Multidex Master

Post by Donovon » 21 Feb 2010 20:47

Have you tried modding the Americanas?

This prolly isnt the proper place for this, but since you mentioned nucleus, what are your thoughts with them?

~Donovon

will_T
Multidex Master

Post by will_T » 21 Feb 2010 22:43

i like them. only had a couple of sessions in them so far but the toe is choice and the clipper area seems fine. the profile is slimmer than my lavers so i am getting used to that (dropping clippers because my foot isn't under the bag completely), but i have no complaints. they fit great and are very light

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 22 Feb 2010 11:00

Hot. And they have treads for better traction than Lavers.
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

colefieldhouse22
BSOS Beast

Post by colefieldhouse22 » 11 Mar 2010 17:48

My boyfriend and I found these in a store recently. He insisted that we go to the mall to find Lavers despite the fact I told him they are not sold in normal stores. Lo and behold we walk into Foot Locker and what do we see? Lavers with stripes...

So as far as modding, we pretty much modded them just like Lavers except we took the stripes off the side (which is too bad because they look nice). I can't really speak to how they play, but they look exactly the same and have better traction. I would say they are definitely an acceptable alternative to Lavers. Pretty much because they are Lavers with a different name and design.
Adrienne Craver

Alf
Fearless

Post by Alf » 18 Mar 2010 00:04

i bought a pair of lavers (white with green sole) and a pair of the new americana low mesh (white with red stripes) 3 days ago.

I can`t really compare them yet, but:

the americana has a very nice insole profile that fits even better than the one of the lavers. it`s very light as well.
i think these shoes will be the best all-day, freestyle ready shoes to walk around with and shred (if needed).
I don`t know how good they will be when modded, but I just can`t cut them into pieces!!!! they are way tooo beautifull!!!!!

if you see some of them in the store, buy them!!! you will not be disapointed!

underooninja
BSOS Beast

Post by underooninja » 22 Mar 2010 11:43

i saw a pair at a foot locker and im tempted. they looked bulkier but felt about the same weight as my lavers (which i had on at the time). only two color choices and they were priced at $70. i really need a new pair of lavers but these interest me.
lonnie hobbs
o0((skyliners))0o
*it IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you*

Kurt Zubry
Circle Kicker

Post by Kurt Zubry » 16 Jun 2010 19:17

so i got these due to the fact that they were on sale. they have ups and downs compared to lavers.

for one, the inside material isnt hard canvas, its thin mesh.
the lip is shorter and more leather-like. there are fewer eyelets and they are more spaced. they also start further down on the toe. the sole is heavier and has more traction.

the selling point for me is the softer ankle area and the mesh is grippier! the mesh is criss cross, oposed to lavers up and down linear. these shoes have mad potential!!
kakkate koi!