Lavers with leather toe

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
Pattycakes
Hack Fiend

Lavers with leather toe

Post by Pattycakes » 19 Jul 2010 09:03

I just bought a pair of lavers with a leather toe...im pretty nervous actually...does anyone know if there is mesh underneath the toe? or am i going to just have to go genzu blade style?

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 19 Jul 2010 09:11

don't start modding yet!!

post a pic and we will tell you either:

1 - how to mod them and maintain the most structural stability.

2 - not to mod them because they won't work right.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Pattycakes
Hack Fiend

Post by Pattycakes » 19 Jul 2010 09:18

http://www.amazon.com/MENS-ADIDAS-ROD-L ... lor_name=1

here ya go...i mean they look sexy, but if the toe is hopeless than i spent the extra money for walk around shoes that can never amount to my shredding expectations.

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 19 Jul 2010 11:16

okay, I have had some shoes that are kind of like that. Sometimes, under the leather, there is a super-thin layer that is not strong enough for freestyle, but sometimes, it is strong enough.

Here's what I think you should do -

Don't remove the outer surfaces. Take some sandpaper and scratch the hell out of the slippery leather on the toe to increase grip. Other than that, watch this video and skip the parts about removing the outside surfaces.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwaq3KfD8oE[/youtube]
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Pattycakes
Hack Fiend

Post by Pattycakes » 19 Jul 2010 12:02

sweet thanks man...i guess we will have to really see what up with them when they come in the mail but thanks for the feedback and ze video

defenestration
Hack Fiend

Post by defenestration » 19 Jul 2010 20:12

I have a pair of these lavers, they are somewhat different than regular lavers but can be modded exactly the same as regular leather lavers (remove outside material exposing canvas underneath on toe and inside surface of shoe). The outside layer of material is a weird rubbery synthetic, it is gross just get rid of it! The material on the inside is the typical canvas inner shell that is quite strong.

These shoes actually are reasonably presentable (though still ugly) after you remove the nasty looking leather on the toe cap.

The toe box is larger than regular lavers and the sole seems a bit thicker and heavier. The tongue is padded and thicker than regular leather or mesh lavers so you may want to consider modding that also. They seem to fit a bit looser than typical lavers.

I performed an 'experiment' on my pair that I haven't finished evaluating so I can't really speak to the overall shredability of this style of laver.

Pattycakes
Hack Fiend

Post by Pattycakes » 23 Jul 2010 08:40

in my opinion from a few days of playing with them to anyone who is gonna buy them...dont. theyre really heavy and clunky so steer clear cause you will just waste your money on more expensive lavers that arent choice for shred. just stick with the white ones imo...after a while they turn black from the dirt anyway so yeah...dont get em.
Pat McGurran