Fabric question

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
Jiffy
Shredalicious

Fabric question

Post by Jiffy » 18 Nov 2010 16:45

One question I have is if facile(ultrasuede light) frays a lot at the edges, because my ultra suede does. (I'm not sure if what I have is ultra suede light, soft, or just ultra suede because I got tat joannes fabric and it was just under a sign that said "synthetic suedes" I think it is ultra suede tho. Thx in advance. And also for those of you that use button thread rather than floss, how do you tie your knot at the beginning of a pent, and also at the end.

Jiffy
Shredalicious

Post by Jiffy » 18 Nov 2010 16:56

One more question is what do you guys think about ultrasuede elite? http://www.fieldsfabricsonline.com/New- ... c_512.html and is it really 54 dollars or so for 1/8 of a yard of flash red? That seams really expensive

DimitriFrazao
Hack Fiend

Post by DimitriFrazao » 18 Nov 2010 17:15

You probably got microsuede instead of ultrasuede.
UltraSuede light is pretty tough and doesn't fray (at least the one I have).
I bought some microsuede at Joannes as well... some of them fray like crazy. The faux leather microsuedes are better.

I was told by experient stitchers to put some nail polish on the boarders of the microsuede cut out. That will keep it from fraying.

I haven't tested yet, but I'm gonna do that on my next bag.
Good luck :)

Jiffy
Shredalicious

Post by Jiffy » 18 Nov 2010 18:05

Thank you this helps bunches

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 18 Nov 2010 20:56

ultrasuede does not fray.

microsuede does.

it if frays, you do not have ultrasuede.

I have not used ultrasuede elite, but I have used ultrasuede light. That is the traditional footbag fabric, although different microsuedes are starting to become popular (thanks to Brian Sherrill's experimentation).

I recommend that, if you are starting out with stitching, you get ultrasuede light in the following colors - Country Cream, Flash Red, Petit Pois, Imperial Blue.

These are my favorite colors.

$54 etc. may seem a lot for these colors, and that's because 1 yard is a lot to buy at once.

you can reduce that cost by buying 1/8th of a yard of it instead of 1 yard.

after you click "buy" under the name of the color, under QTY (quantity), where it will say "1", put in ".125", the decimal equivalent of 1/8.

that is about 4 standard panels wide and many many many panels long, and will come out to around $6/7. That is the minimum you can buy of a given color from fields fabrics, and that is the amount that I buy all my colors in (except for when I occasionally double it to .25 on my most popular colors, flash red and country cream).

hope this helps,matty
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Jiffy
Shredalicious

Post by Jiffy » 20 Nov 2010 10:40

Thanks matt, that helps

Jiffy
Shredalicious

Post by Jiffy » 10 Jan 2011 18:12

ok i got a sample of the ultra suede elite, and i could barely tell a diff. between that and ultrasuede light. it felt like one of the thicker but soft usl colors like atlantis maybe? but if it is as indestructable as they say it is, or at least stronger, it might be something to look into, epeccially because on field"s under applications of ultrasuede elite it said footbags as well as usl. i havent made a bag out of it and currently cant because i just made a $70 order from them and am now broke.
Ryan

zachatree
Happy Hippy Hoffa

Post by zachatree » 10 Jan 2011 19:48

wait, they acknowledge footbag?!

RipWalker
BSOS Beast

Post by RipWalker » 11 Jan 2011 08:40

Mark Bull

zachatree
Happy Hippy Hoffa

Post by zachatree » 11 Jan 2011 10:04

That's pretty cool. :)

Jiffy
Shredalicious

Post by Jiffy » 11 Jan 2011 10:41

yeah, they know us... lol they should, we give them free advertising to newcomers 24/7
Ryan

Steve Lanza
Hack Fiend

Re: Fabric question

Post by Steve Lanza » 08 Apr 2014 21:48

I know this thread is old, but if anyone still has questions on that elite stuff or suedes in general, heres my take on it.

Footbags generally use what fieldsfabrics and many others call ultrasuede light. I guess its noted as "light" because its the thinnest of ultrasuedes. Most ultrasuede light fabrics measure in at a thickness of .6 mm. Whereas the ultrasuede soft is a whopping .8 mm thick. It doesn't seem like much, but in a moderately gathered 32 pannel it adds up, and usually makes bags that are unstallable, albiet they are decent to kick because they hold their shape. Also, the "soft" seems to be accurate because it is indeed softer, and needles slide through like butter. But it also wears quicker. So when buying fabrics try to find the thickness in the description area. Its not always easy to find, but fieldsfabrics does a good job of letting you know. However, the ultrasuede lx or "elite" is trickier to figure out, but I did find it and it comes out to .6mm just like the "light" stuff. I haven't used it yet, but i'm betting it will work quite niceley. I often buy the 18 piece sampler from fields, which is a great buy becuase you have a quite decent variety without having to drop coin on many different 1/8 yards. In reference to who posted originally, I made my first bag out of stuff frome joanne fabrics. That stuff usually sucks and is difficult to work with, however, an experienced stitcher can experiment and work with it. The reason this "microsuede" is so shitty is because it is a woven fabric. The name Ultrasuede was coined when a couple of guys figured out how to paste a bunch of microfibers together in such a way that ends up as a strong, soft, luxurious, unwoven fabric. Lateley ive been trying to buy from other stores than fields, for I find their color selection fairly limited. Im looking for some bright neonish colors. If anyone knows where to find some please let me know. Oh and one more thing, there are tons of different terms for the material used for footbags. Such as facile, ameretta, amarra, and sensuede. I feel like some of these are actually the same thing, or maybe they signify differences in thickness and durability. Can anyone try to describe these because searching for these online doesn't really turn as much up as searching for Ultrasuede, which seems to be a general name. Thanks :D

mahhkohh
Flower Child

Re: Fabric question

Post by mahhkohh » 25 Jul 2014 05:23

Amaretta is thinner that facile, never heard of sensuede. The hecklers thing is true, but not the end of all wisdom. There are some lx or else colors that actually do work for bags, but I think the fabrication process is different so it is thin but sometimes "stiffer" than facile when sewed up. If that makes sense.

Fields turned down alot of good colors, the selection atm is horrible, so I too would be grateful for hints to different shops
come get your mÃcrÖ¶ bag today
buy one of my bags and help finance my guitar lessons :)
mäcrö hartig