Pre Cut panels, sold in bulk. Possible?

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
Derek
Fearless

Pre Cut panels, sold in bulk. Possible?

Post by Derek » 05 Oct 2012 12:17

How much would it cost me to get enough pre cut panels for 4-5 32 panel bags? Is it even a possibility to buy pre cuts? I despise cutting things out and would just really like to focus on the stitching part of bag making. Haven't yet found a preferance in size, but open to pretty much anything. I would hope to get at least 4 different color variations, and type of material isn't too much of an issue. Something like 60 pents and 100 hexs.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

D.
Shredalicious

Re: Pre Cut panels, sold in bulk. Possible?

Post by D. » 05 Oct 2012 17:02

Lazy!! Cutting panels isn't that bad.

I don't believe that anyone sells pre-cut panels, but a few people have played around with laser cut panels, which is a really good idea.

These are pics that Nathan uploaded of his laser cuts.
ImageImage
I guess if you beg him enough he could try to arrange to get some cut for you??

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 05 Oct 2012 17:34

I am lazy, but it's mainly because I am the shittiest cutter there ever was. I'ver heard of this, freakin' lazy man's dream. Guess it's time to bust the lipstick out.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

jaust
Multidex Master

Post by jaust » 07 Oct 2012 00:41

the part of creating a pattern and cutting everything out is really important to achieve an understanding of how the sizes of the template work out and to find a style you like...

don't leave that part if you want to fully understand how you can create a good looking and well shredable footbag!
Michael L.

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 07 Oct 2012 09:02

Derek,

This isn't a suggestion for pre-cut panels, but check point 1 on my advanced stitching tutorial (http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=21394) if you need help with cutting faster and more accurately.

Matt
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 07 Oct 2012 14:59

Michael: I'm not saying I want to always skip this process, I'm just trying to get on my feet. I usually get detered from cutting out that many panels at first, and end up just busting out a 14 panel. I really want to do a 32, just tracing and cutting takes me almost 2 hours(if I'm trying to be perfect). And that's for 14 panels. I just want these pre cuts at first because I want to be sure I can even make a playable 32.

Matt: Definitely some nice pointers, much appreciated. Going to try some more 14's and see how well it helps.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 11 Oct 2012 11:29

Bruce Dole ("Dolercoaster" on these forums) lasercuts panels. I'd PM him and see if you could work something out.

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 13 Oct 2012 10:36

Thanks Ken! But I am not so bitch made about cutting anymore, maybe once my stitching is top notch.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Eskimo Joe
Cold Blooded

Post by Eskimo Joe » 17 Oct 2012 12:22

I measure the height of my hexes and the height of my pents. So if a pent is 2.2cm I make a set of parallel lines across the fabric the same height as the panels I need. Then I flip the template over and repeat. When done, I use a roller blade to cut the strips then finish off the panels with nice sharp scissors. Saves me about 30-60 minutes compared to when I draw all over the fabric.

A few people use strong magnets to hold about 4-6 layers of material together with the panel drawn onto the top panel and cut all at once, repeat till finished.
Eskimo Joe